Gaza Crisis: Ceasefire Finally

Gary Childress

Student for and of life
This report clearly deserves to be quoted in length. Thank you to the UN and all those involved. [EDIT: And thank you Ms. Amos and Pierre Krähenbühl for all your efforts.]

Amen...

31 July 2014 – All parties have agreed to a 72-hour ceasefire in the conflict in the Gaza Strip, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and United States Secretary of State John Kerry announced on Thursday, culminating the latest diplomatic push to end the deadly violence that has gripped the tiny enclave for nearly a month.

Reading a statement at Headquarters in New York, UN spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric told reporters that Mr. Ban and Mr. Kerry had announced that the UN Representative in Jerusalem, Special Coordinator Robert Serry, has received assurances that “all parties have agreed to an unconditional humanitarian ceasefire in Gaza.”

“This humanitarian ceasefire will commence at 8 am local time on Friday, August 1, 2014. It will last for a period of 72 hours unless extended. During this time, the forces on the ground will remain in place,” said Mr. Dujarric.

“We urge all parties to act with restraint until this humanitarian ceasefire begins, and to fully abide by their commitments during the ceasefire.”

The spokesperson went on to say that the pause is critical to giving innocent civilians a much-needed reprieve from violence. During this period, civilians in Gaza will receive urgently needed humanitarian relief, and have the opportunity to carry out vital functions, including burying the dead, taking care of the injured, and restocking food supplies. Overdue repairs on essential water and energy infrastructure could also continue during this period.

“Israeli and Palestinian delegations will immediately be going to Cairo for negotiations with the Government of Egypt, at the invitation of Egypt, aimed at reaching a durable ceasefire,” he said, adding that the parties will be able to raise all issues of concern in these negotiations.

“We thank key regional stakeholders for their vital support of this process, and count on a continued collaborative international effort to assist Egypt and the parties reach a durable ceasefire as soon as possible,” Mr. Dujarric added.

News of the ceasefire comes as UN relief officials urged the parties to protect civilians amid the ongoing conflict, which has resulted in thousands of casualties and caused widespread displacement and destruction.

“The reality of Gaza today is that no place is safe,” Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Valerie Amos said in her briefing to the Security Council on the latest situation.

“We have all watched in horror the desperation of children, of civilians as they have come under attack,” she added, speaking via videoconference from Trinidad and Tobago.

“Under international humanitarian law, the Government of Israel, Hamas and other militant groups must distinguish between military objectives and civilian objects and between combatants and civilians. They must also avoid harming civilians or civilian objects, and protect them from the effects of military operations.”

Nearly four weeks of conflict have left more than 1,300 Palestinians dead and 6,000 injured, Ms. Amos reported. Over 80 per cent of those killed have been civilians; 251 children. Israel has faced rocket fire, and the hostilities have resulted in the deaths of 3 civilians and 56 soldiers, with dozens injured.

She noted that the current crisis in Gaza takes place against the backdrop of decades of instability, poverty and vulnerability resulting from repeated outbreaks of hostilities and the ongoing blockade on land, air and sea.

Over 80 per cent of Gaza’s population of 1.8 million – more than half of them children under the age of 18 – were already dependent on humanitarian aid before the outbreak of hostilities.

Up to 440,000 people in Gaza are now displaced, almost 24 per cent of the population. Over 240,000 are being hosted in schools run by the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA), while others are seeking refuge wherever they can; in government buildings, hospital grounds or with families and friends.

“People flee to areas they believe are safe from attack. But these areas are becoming harder to find,” said Ms. Amos, who is also UN Emergency Relief Coordinator.

“So, they come to United Nations facilities for protection when their homes and neighbourhoods come under fire – more than 240,000 people. But over 103 UN facilities have come under attack including an UNWRA school hosting over 3,300 displaced yesterday,” she stated.

“The parties to the conflict have an obligation – an absolute obligation – to protect civilians from direct or indiscriminate attacks. Under international law, United Nations operations, personnel and premises, must remain inviolable, and parties to the conflict should protect humanitarian workers. There can be no justification for failing to do so.”

Ms. Amos said the relief effort is “stretched,” with ongoing fighting and insecurity hampering the ability of UN agencies to move around and making it difficult to sustain the delivery of assistance to people in need.

“Until a longer-term ceasefire is agreed, we need more humanitarian pauses to enable us to reach those in need. Pauses must be daily, predictable, and adequate in length so that humanitarian staff can dispatch relief to those in need, rescue the injured, recover the dead and allow civilians some reprieve so that they can restock and resupply their homes.

“We urgently need the Government of Israel, Hamas and other militant groups to comply with their international legal obligations, including international humanitarian and human rights law. Each party must be held accountable to international standards; not the standards of the other party,” Ms. Amos added.

Briefing the Council from Gaza City, UNRWA Commissioner-General Pierre Krähenbühl said the most difficult challenge facing the Agency today is the hundreds of thousands of Palestinians it is currently hosting.

“We are doing everything possible to provide the displaced with minimum needs – food, mattresses and blankets – but we are now into the fourth week of mass displacement in facilities unequipped to shelter large numbers for such a duration,” he told the Council via teleconference.

“Conditions are increasingly dire in the shelters,” he continued. “There is no water for personal hygiene, very few showers and latrines are totally inadequate. Disease outbreak is beginning, with skin infections, scabies and others. There are thousands of pregnant women in our schools, deliveries are precarious and we are sheltering newborns in these appalling conditions. Our ability to mitigate this situation is of course heavily restricted by ongoing hostilities.”

Stating that the current reality on the ground is not sustainable, Mr. Krähenbühl renewed his call for an immediate and unconditional ceasefire to be agreed by the parties

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=48381

A Gaza cease-fire quickly unraveled Friday as violence erupted in and around the southern town of Rafah, with 35 Palestinians killed by Israeli shelling and the military saying one of its soldiers may have been abducted.

Israel and Hamas accused each other of breaking the cease-fire, which had been announced by the U.S. and the U.N. and took effect at 8:00 a.m. (0500 GMT) Friday. The fighting broke out less than two hours later.

OK. Back to the drawing board. Someone over there (either Israel, Hamas or both) is NOT taking things as seriously as they should. considering that Israel is not ruled by a disorganized band of terrorists, I would think Israel carries the burden of blame for returning fire (if they were fired on first). Israel's prime minister clearly does not have control over his military or else he needs to be indicted with war crimes.

Thoughts? Ideas?

It is not clear Hamas can cut a deal. It seems they are unable to force all the youngsters to stop shooting rockets. (in truth that only matters if you think the rockets were the cause of this war.)

Well, Israel declared the cease fire over after one of their soldiers was apparently captured by Gaza militants 2 hours into the cease fire.

Unfortunately that might be one soldier who will need to remain captured then. Breaking the cease fire is not going to help anyone. the terrorists at this point are probably a disorganized band of hoodlums largely acting on their own. There is nothing that can be done about that now except to suck it up and wait for a settlement. I would think 1 soldier is not worth restarting something that will be damaging, both to Israel (as world opinion is almost unilaterally turning against them) and Palestinian civilians (who are suffering the most right now).

EDIT: I would also want to know how a single soldier was captured? Was he a deserter who ran in the wrong direction? Was he part of a team invading Gaza? How does one soldier get captured all by himself? (Soldiers usually travel in groups)

Ah well I try to avoid these threads - but then again now that I am in it, I might as well...

Regarding the whole situation I lay the blame squarely on both parties - as both of them run on a tactical decision to exact as much suffering on the civilian population of the other side as they can possibly manage to do (regarding Hamas and its very loosely affiliated Allies/Rivals in Gaza) or can possibly get away with (regarding Israel - and really Israel only stands out as they actually have far more capabilities to cause civilian causualties and are far more reliant on public opinion in western countries so they actually at least have to do something to keep civilian casualties lower than they could using unchecked force). I fully understand why Hamas has kept shelling Israeli civlians in low frequency for years now (on a tactical level, as there is not much else for them to do really) and also fully understand why Israel feels compelled to do something about it, and why they believe military force is that something.

Neither (talking about governments or those actually in charge on the Palestinian side) side is currently interested in a genuine settlement of the conflict as both would have to compromise on a lot of things that they base their respective public's support on.

Now to the very current situation. It was a cease fire declared by both sides both contingent on the other side also holding their fire and Israel declaring that it would still destroy any tunnels on their side of their pre-cease fire position. If they were attacked by whatever Palestinian group then the cease fire was breached by the other side and no there is no obligation for them to hold to their side of it in these circumstances. I also disagree that they need to somehow accept having their soldiers kept captive during a cease fire and take that blow.
I firmly believe they should have stopped the fighting for good, accepted Egypt opening the borders to Sinai and at least partially lifted the sea blockade. However absent an outside force that guarantees the safety of Israeli civilians from shelling (however limited casualties they produce, they still severely disrupt civilian life) or from kidnapping through the tunnel system they have no real incentive to do so.

I firmly believe they should have stopped the fighting for good, accepted Egypt opening the borders to Sinai and at least partially lifted the sea blockade.

General Sisi has been a supporter of Egyptian participation in the Gaza blockada, so I don't see it happen. Aren't you confusing with Muhammed Morsy?

EDIT: I would also want to know how a single soldier was captured? Was he a deserter who ran in the wrong direction? Was he part of a team invading Gaza? How does one soldier get captured all by himself? (Soldiers usually travel in groups)

Part of a team that was destroying tunnels. Group of three, two killed and one kidnapped, sounds just like the kidnapping where the Israeli soldier was kept for five years.

General Sisi has been a supporter of Egyptian participation in the Gaza blockada, so I don't see it happen. Aren't you confusing with Muhammed Morsy?

I am fully aware that Egypt doesn't really want that, but frankly, they would open the border (to some extent) if the fig leaf of Israel somehow magically preventing them from it by their objections was gone. Generally though that should not concern Israel - they are fully within their rights to say that they are essentially in a state of war with Gaza and that as such they keep their own borders to it closed, especially since Hamas has in the past shown that they would attack any border control posts and there is no reason why they should be obliged to allow uncontrolled flow of goods (or persons) through their crossings - what Egypt does or does not do should not be a problem Israel concerns itself with in this regard and it would also blunt a lot of criticism frankly as Egypt is not at war with Gaza and should have no qualms letting civilian goods and people cross the border.

Part of a team that was destroying tunnels. Group of three, two killed and one kidnapped, sounds just like the kidnapping where the Israeli soldier was kept for five years.

Were they trying to destroy tunnels (assuming they were empty ones?) during the "ceasefire"? That would be my next question.

And after that: Who's side of the border were they on when they tried to destroy the tunnels (if that was what they were doing at the time of the ceasefire).

Were they trying to destroy tunnels (assuming they were empty ones?) during the "ceasefire"? That would be my next question.

Israel had made their acceptance of the "unconditional cease fire by both sides" contingent on them being allowed to continue to do so. Yes I am well aware of what I type.

Israel had made their acceptance of the "unconditional cease fire by both sides" contingent on them being allowed to continue to do so. Yes I am well aware of what I type.

Good for you. Thank you for that answer.

If they were trying to destroy a tunnel when the soldier was captured, was there perhaps someone in the tunnel when they tried to destroy it?

Some of the tunnels go into Israel.

Muhammed Morsy?

That guy is STILL around? I remember that super rich guy who tweeted that Mickey Mouse image to insult Morsy. Unfortunately, I think that might have been the most memorable thing of his actual presidency :mischief:.

Some of the tunnels go into Israel.

I'm aware of that. Which is why I posted the question above of which side of the border were the soldiers on when they destroyed (or tried to) the tunnel?

I would also ask, were they using explosive when they were destroying tunnels? And if they were and they were reasonably close to the border, then might someone have mistaken a tunnel explosion for someone breaking the ceasefire? And if all that were true, I would ask maybe a ceasefire should be made on condition of no one blowing up or shooting anything for 3 days? Let everything sit where it is. No one shoot anything...

Isn't that just a rearming period then?

What the cease fires, you mean? In some senses, yes. But in the middle of a conflict, as is stated in the article in the OP, it also gives relief workers and civilians a chance to make preparations for the next round to protect themselves and also it can help cool things down for a little while so that the two belligerents can maybe get themselves under control a bit, which is of course hard to do in the heat of battle.

I'm aware of that. Which is why I posted the question above of which side of the border were the soldiers on when they destroyed (or tried to) the tunnel?

I would also ask, were they using explosive when they were destroying tunnels? And if they were and they were reasonably close to the border, then might someone have mistaken a tunnel explosion for someone breaking the ceasefire? And if all that were true, I would ask maybe a ceasefire should be made on condition of no one blowing up or shooting anything for 3 days? Let everything sit where it is. No one shoot anything...

I have no idea of how and what they were doing so they could have used explosives, they could have been busying themselves with a bulldozer or snooping around the tunnel on their own for all that I know (and I don't think there is good information on that out there yet). I agree with you in principle that an unconditional cease fire would have been the best in the current case - though apparently that was no to be and the UN (and US) chose to take what they got, namely Israel saying they stay where thy are and dismantle tunnels behind their lines and hold their fire elsewhere so long as the other side holds theirs and Hamas saying they'll hold their fire if Israel holds theirs. For some reason the UN/US joint statement called this an unconditional cease fire agreed to by both parties.

Personally I think that this was a miscommunication by the UN/US joint statement - I would be surprised if Hammas actually agreed to honor a cease fire that allowed Israel to continue the tunnel operations, I believe they (grudgingly I expect as they strongly reversed course on this previously making a cease fire contingent on full lifting of the blockade) agreed to an unconditional temporary cease fire, Israel continued to make a cease fire contingent on continued destruction of tunnels (no new position for them) and the UN/US joint statement somehow made it seem like an agreement. Of course that is pure conjecture by myself.

Top Bottom