Gaza Pullout

Ramius75

Deity
At midnight between August 14 and August 15, the Kissufim Roadblock was shut down, and the Gaza Strip became officially closed for entrance of Israelis. This began the last 48 hours of voluntary evacuation.

So what are the view over this?? will there be more peace ? is this a positive step ?? will the isreal troops return if suddenly there are new attacks ??

What does this mean to the palestinian ? im sure they are very happy atm, but what about the israel ? Did ariel sharon made this decision due to foreign intervention ?? how much part did USA play in this ??

For my POV, i think this might be a turning point in solving the Israel- pelastinian problem.

I was looking up newspaper articles for an unrelated reason, and I was going to all the major paper sites, and saw the pics of the angry Israelis.....they don't look too happy about it.

But I think it's stupid for them to stay there. Personally, I'm incredibly pro-Israel, but this is for the good of Israel. Sure, some people have to leave their houses, but I have to do that every three years....it will safe Israeli lives and it'll make the Palestinians feel special, which I'm sure they'll love.

elfangor801 said:
I was looking up newspaper articles for an unrelated reason, and I was going to all the major paper sites, and saw the pics of the angry Israelis.....they don't look too happy about it.

But I think it's stupid for them to stay there. Personally, I'm incredibly pro-Israel, but this is for the good of Israel. Sure, some people have to leave their houses, but I have to do that every three years....it will safe Israeli lives and it'll make the Palestinians feel special, which I'm sure they'll love.

Yes, of coz, the settlers will be extremely angry about this, they were chased out of their houses, but like u, i too feel that this is the way.

To get a long term solution rather than a short term 1. but how much will the israel gives in unilaterally ? Will there be a smiliar pullout from west bank if the result is satifactory ??

I think after this, the ball is in the palestinian's court and i hope Hamas wont screw this up.

Both sides need to give in something to live safely together.

Hamas are definitely going to screw it up if they try to claim this as any sort of victory.

But, yes the ball is in the Palestinian court now, they really need to crackdown on the extremists if they hope for the same to happen in the West Bank.

Sharon has shown some real guts here and actually taken back some of the moral high-ground the Israelis have always claimed to hold. Its a shame he has then lost some of that high ground by letting his displaced people settle on another patch of ground illegally held by Israel...

I think it's a rather painful decision of Sharon to put the ball in the Palestinian camp once more. But I don't believe this is going to change anything...
As long as there is an Israel, there will be terrorists.

This is my response as a left wing Israeli -

Brennan's response is totally correct, although I want to remind you all that the gaza strip was conquered through the 67 war, and Egypt didn't want it back, so we got stuck with it.

@Ramius75 (with spell check ;)):

1. So what is your view over this?? will it be more peaceful ?
I'm happy it happens, so is 60% of Israelis.
We could have done so with a peace agreement, but I guess we waited too long for a partner, and decided to do it unilateraly.
We get out of gaza, and have a wall over most of the west bank.
This will provide more security for us, and most of the PA territories will be theirs, delegitimizing terror, and getting the road to peace closer.
---

2. is this a positive step ??
Sure is, for both sides.
---

3. will the isreali troops return if suddenly there are new attacks ??
Well, it will not be sudden.. more like "expected".
The answer depends on how large the attacks and how the PA will handle it.
If it is beyond some gray line, the IAF (air-force) will attack targets.
ONLY if it will be total chaos will we have to periodically get ground troups in for short periods to get at some people..
But again, the current semi-legitimacy of attacking Israel will no longer exist.

Currently, Hamas does rule the Gaza strip (democratically!) like the hizbullah does in south lebanon.
Hamas and the PA are still in negotiations... :rolleyes:
---

4. What does this mean to the palestinians ? I'm sure they are very happy atm, but what about the israelis ?
The PA will be able to move freely inside the gaza strip, and by the end of 2005 will have a normal border with Egypt to be able to travel outside.
The Israeli public is very divided on this (there were some minor fears of civil war..), and again, 60% support this action. The 40% that don't are very vocal about it..
The evacuated Israelis will be paid compensations if they leave until the 17th (and signed the nessecary papers) without resistance.
Of course most of the evacuated Israelis (settlers) are politically right-wing, some radical, and hate this move. Still, it has to be done.
---

5. Did ariel sharon made this decision due to foreign intervention ?? how much part did USA play in this ??
I think it was more of his decision.
He was always right-wing, supportive of settlements, and probably got their votes in the elections, but reality bites.
We need to have a clear-cut border, and only then discuss permanent peace and borders - when they have no "settlers" excuse for terror.
The US (A is a continent ;)) and the roadmap have perhaps helped in some degree, but I don't think it could really make him do such an action.

Unfortunately the unilateral nature of the pullout is one of the biggest stumbling blocks, it has left the Palestinian Authority looking ineffective and HAMAS able to claim victory. The Israelis really should have discussed the matter with PA.

The Israelis are just going to bulldoze them I think. That way HAMAS can't make propaganda by occupying them.

brennan said:
The Israelis are just going to bulldoze them I think. That way HAMAS can't make propaganda by occupying them.

What about leaving them as homes for poor palestinians?

What happened with settlements in Sinai, after the Israelis pulled out?

The fact of the matter is why should they be pushed out of thier homes,and the land they worked that eventuary flourished under them.

Savage Discipil said:
The fact of the matter is why should they be pushed out of thier homes,and the land they worked that eventuary flourished under them.

So if the Americans set up their settlements in Iraq, it would be OK for you? ;)

Winner said:
So if the Americans set up their settlements in Iraq, it would be OK for you? ;)
I dont remeber America settling in Iraq before the Iraq's did if that was the case then yah.

No, most the Gaza Strip is under control of the Palestinian protogovernment and the rest is controlled by Israel without being claimed as a legal part of Israel proper. Israel has right of eminent domain over their share of the Strip, theoretically. They can do whatever they damn well want to.

Seriously, the settlers as a political movement just do not represent Israel. The more they whine, the less the Knesset listens.

Panzerking said:
IMO it will not bring any peace to the region, there is always hope of this but I wouldn't hold my breath. Check out the link below, already the Palestinians want more..........

The Palestinians wont stop untill they have all of Isreal I dont know why more
people havent realised that already. :sad:

Top Bottom