1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gearing bonuses

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by warp_kez, Nov 30, 2005.

1. warp_kez

warp_kez Chieftain

Am I missing something, but when I build a series of workers, should it not get cheaper and quicker to build them in series?

I have noted that the more workers I build in series, the more time it takes for them to complete.

This occurs regardless of the population of the city.

2. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

if you're not playing a RTS but Civ4, there are no such bonuses.

3. Shivam

Shivam Chieftain

there used to be, though, in civ 3...

4. holy king

holy king Deity

there were?
    are you sure?

5. panzooka

panzooka Prince

in civ3, population decrease by 1 when u finish a worker, which is equal to less production for next worker, and so on

6. holy king

holy king Deity

oh yea...
    but thats not a production malus in particular, is it?

7. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

There have never been any production bonuses in any Civ game for building units in bulk. However they won't take longer to build if you queue up several either. The only slight difference will be that the production overflow can lead to + or - a turn sometimes, and this will remain true no matter what you're building or whether you queue it.

8. warp_kez

warp_kez Chieftain

I have been play Hearts of Iron II, and this is where the idea of gearing bonus has been implemented.

The theory behind it is: the more a unit or building is built in series, the more efficient the factory is as creating the unit/building as they are set up for it.

Another aspect that I wished was present was the ability for blueprints to influence subsequent cities, and even become a comodity (sp).

Essentially, as the capital builds a barracks, this becomes a known construction based on a blueprint. When a new city is created and a connection is created, the engineers can gain access to the blueprint, and theoretically reduce the time to construct.

Now that blueprints have become such an important part of a Civ, these can then be traded for resources with other Civ's.

Is it even possible to implement such a thing as a mod, or would this be a core code patch?

9. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

I guess the guys at Paradox never heard of diminishing returns ;)