1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

General A New Dawn discussion

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Rezca, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Pepo

Pepo Prince

Okay I ****ed it up, even new games are affected by this. Should I reinstall or there is something else that I need to change?

2. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

What happens if you recalculate with Ctrl-Shift-T? Does that end the -food situation?

I don't know if there is any other way to clear the problem. "Dark ages" are handled by a DLL routine, not Python.

3. Pepo

Pepo Prince

Nope, didn't solve it. N°45 , do you know any possible fix?

4. IPEX-731BA5DD06

IPEX-731BA5DD06 Deity

Turn random events OFF, is the only way to stop it happening.

Once its happened, its coded into the game.

Just use it as a challenge, it does go away, (then it can come back AGAIN!!!!)

5. Samson

Samson Deity

It is likely to hurt your AI opponents more than you. Use trade units (caravans etc) to stop your cities starving, and you will do better than your neighbors.

6. Pepo

Pepo Prince

I reinstall the game and choose a earlier start date. When you have your empire develop it is fun, but when your best city is size 4 with barely any food it will kill you

7. PsychopathicWarmonger

PsychopathicWarmonger Warlord

Just came to say thanks to the creators of this mod.
    I've been playing with Revolutions for the last while but still felt that there were aspects of the game that needed improvement.

This mod offers everything I could have asked for, down to the detail.
    It's Civ 4 at its peak. :)
    I don't know how I ignored this mod for so long.
    The advanced diplomacy and particularly the Fort System are things I overwhelmingly agree with. It gives forts an actual useful function ingame. :)
    Happy playing.

8. Nailo

Nailo Warlord

I just got back into Civ 4 after Civ 6 wasn't scratching that itch for me and I got to a point that I can't find an answer to.

How do I found a corporation? I have a great merchant but I cannot figure it out. What do I need to do?

9. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

Do you have the Realistic Corporations option on? If you do, then you can't found a corporation yourself.

If you turned the option on and didn't mean it, it's possible to change it but you have to use the "chipotle" cheat.

10. Nailo

Nailo Warlord

Thank you Vokarya! I do have Realistic Corp. on but I thought I still had to found the corp. and it took care of the rest.

11. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

With Realistic Corporations, everything corporation-related is out of your hands. It's one of the options that I don't really like.

12. PsychopathicWarmonger

Just a couple of things I felt I should mention.

I rolled Theodora as Byzantium (I love Byzantium) in a Perfect World 2, Large map. I reduced the number of Civs from 15 to 14.
    The Strategy memo suggested founding an early religion, and as I've never tried playing with religion before in AND I went ahead to try tech to either Kemetism, Zoroastrianism, Hellenism, Judaism or Buddhism.
    I'm finding it extremely difficult to beat the AI to any of them, often losing out by over a dozen turns.
    Is this normal? I even started with Ritualism, and a nice Fur resource in my capital. :(

When I got fed up with chasing the AI I just opened the Worldbuilder to see where everyone else was at.
    It seemed the Civ that founded Hellenism had 3 cities, straight line, 5 tiles away from each other. Like, no cultural overlap - yet this same Civ founded Helenism, when it seemingly shouldn't have the beakers to rush ahead to it.
    The AI doesn't seem to be suffering the effects of Revolutions either. Perhaps it's the Large map size on Perfect World 2 that's messing up something?
    I have the Rev difficult set to 5.0 and did not have any Worsening in my capital or my first city by the time Buddhism was founded, yet in another world I played - by this stage both cities were creeping into Warning.

TLDR: Is founding an early religion in AND worth chasing?
    Is my map script (PerfectWorld2) or world size (Large) messing with Revolutions?

13. IPEX-731BA5DD06

IPEX-731BA5DD06 Deity

Like anything, its all relative.

What level are you playing at?
    What Speed are you playing at?
    What other conditions have you imposed?

Founding a religion is not the be all and end all. Let others found religions, build the holy building, and then capture it off of them.

On religions, I personally would like the option, that I've read is available in Realism mod?? I think, that you have migration of holy cities to the civ with the largest number of adherents.

Also I would LOVE the respawning of religions to WORK, or just the relocation due to Inquisitions.

14. PsychopathicWarmonger

Monarch, Epic, aswell as a bunch of the options at game start (Surround and Destroy, Great Commanders etc.)

I should tinker with the difficulties in game and Revolutions until I find something I'm comfortable with. I was a Monarch player on BTS but perhaps AND is changing my odds a bit.

I assume the AI treats Religions in the same way as they do in BTS? One can often guess when Buddhism and Hinduism will be discovered because the AI generally ignore worker techs to grab the religion.
    Do they do the same in AND? And should the player do the same if they want to get one?
    If so, it probably is better just taking the Holy City from another player, even if it ends up being a bit later in the game.

Also as a side-question, is Writing worth getting sooner rather than later?
    I find that the removal of the % restriction speeds up researches quite more than I had initially thought. It allows you to run at 100%, as the player often only has 1 or 2 cities if Writing is prioritised.

Religion is an aspect of the game I want to play with more though, I felt it was neglected in BTS but it really does help a ton with Revolutions and Stability.

15. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

AND is 1 or 2 levels harder on the same handicap.

IIRC yes.

16. PsychopathicWarmonger

It's probably better then to capture the Holy City of another Civ. I haven't tried crusades before in Civ. >:)

Also just on the off chance, you wouldn't happen to know what might be the cause of issues with Movement Limits not working? Reloading doesn't seem to be fixing anything.

Edit: Never mind, turns out refreshing the cache actually helps. :|

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  17. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

If anyone's interested, over at the Stories & Tales forums I posted a review (and backstory) of a modern-era AND military (though on an older revision), which I haven't seen being often written about.
    Read it in all its glory.

18. ElderDarkDragon

ElderDarkDragon Chieftain

Well, I finally completed my second full AND game with a cultural victory. I became bored with most of my other games because eventually I just got so far ahead of the AI so
    I'm definitely upping the difficulty for the next game. I think I'm also going to choose aggressive AI because except for barbarians I never even fought anyone. I wouldn't mind doing a conquest game or something like that.
    Regardless, it's a great mod and I'm thrilled with the continuing progress that goes into it. Keep up the great work everyone!

19. PsychopathicWarmonger

It's strange that I myself find that Monarch isn't really enough for me, even with 5.0 Rev difficulty.
    I was told recently too that AND2 increases the difficulty compared to BTS too. Something else must be at play. :)
    I'm playing a game at the moment where no-one has declared war on me (except for one civ, who didn't send troops), and I've found myself to be the sole superpower by 1500.
    I agree, the mod is fantastic. I just wish there were more maps to play with.

On another note, how many people have played the High to Low game option? It feels to me like a good way to keep the player on their toes.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  20. IPEX-731BA5DD06

IPEX-731BA5DD06 Deity

I've played the High to Low option.

Trouble is, by the time you reach the 3rd Civ, you'll usually find its a 1 city, surrounded by culture.

I was able to get through one game, I built the 3rd civ up from a 1 city empire, founded as a rebel.

You have to play aggressive, I was too passive on 3rd civ in hindsight.

It makes for a great challenge, but be warned, you can end up with a 1 city civ on a island, vassaled, or other untenable situations.

Maybe a final 5 could be an option in addition. Never tried that.