1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

General A New Dawn discussion

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Rezca, Mar 29, 2014.

1. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Screenshot or savegame, I can't tell you if I can't test it.

2. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Mmm how exactly does the new mechanics relating to war bribes work?
    Quite a lot of the AIs - even Friendly ones - won't accept my war requests (Because they don't trust my nefarious schemes. I wonder why... ;P) in most cases, got that much even though I only bribed a few in the whole game. Twice I'd declare on the person I had them declare on immediately after, but that doesn't seem to affect things any.

Later on, I became the worst enemy of five different leaders (All of whom were following some other religion, several they founded themselves) after a while of merely being Cautious, IIRC it was after bribing Boudica into a war against Willem, but I was already at war with him when I did so. Sometime later I stumbled across Barbarian-spawned Tokugawa in the antarctic (Sucks to be him) and saw he "didn't trust me" as with all the others, but was willing to declare on Korea. I couldn't pass that up and once again returned to old habits and paid him a few old techs to do so.

The very next turn four of the five AIs that I was the worst enemy of immediately returned to hating my guts. With but one exception, they had eventually mellowed out and I stopped being their worst enemy, but after I paid Toku to declare on Korea, they all hated me again. Korea eventually began hating Toku more than me, and two of the other AIs stopped hating me as well, but Germany and Summeria still despise me.

So it would seem that pretty much all the AIs will stop accepting war bribes after a while, and friends of the AI you bring war allies against will start disliking you a ton?
    Only problem I've been having is that they won't trust me even when someone declares on me hehe, guess I earned that but hey - old habits die hard x)

In other news, been using Republic with twenty-three cities, some of which are off-continent. At 40% Science but still making +200 or so gold per turn and still researching fairly fast. Amazing.
    Several of my larger cities are running a lot of Merchants or Priests (or both) and Buddhism ended up spreading like a weed, and I've got courthouses and Polis councils in most of my cities. Still, I thought I'd be leaving Republic after my 10th city ages ago, but I've stuck with it until 23! Never thought I'd actually be managing something like that :)
    Still going to swap out once I research Representative Democracy though.

3. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

What foreign relation civics do you have? If you're first and you're running Imperium..

4. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Isolationism and haven't ever changed out of it.

It's a feature that was implemented when I pointed out how easy it was to get the AI to declare war on each other without you even needing to be involved (Which would systematically drag them down and behind while you have free reign over the game without needing to get your hands dirty). Basically if you pay someone to go to war that you aren't yourself at war with, the AI start to get suspicious. After a few such bribes, they will reject most if not all of your war requests - even against an AI they dislike that declares on you - because "We don't trust you or your nefarious schemes!"

This time I've only had four such purchased declarations in the whole game, but a few games back I managed six declarations in a single turn, and two more a few dozen turns later. There was only a few AI that weren't Furious or Annoyed with me, and I was the Worst Enemy of more than half the world :mischief:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13521969&postcount=482

Right now I'm wondering how long it takes the wariness/suspicion to wear off, if at all. I've got two AI that really really like me, but won't sign a defensive pact because of said suspicion from my earlier bribes. Still won't really deter me from doing such things in the future though. Messing with the AI is fun :king:

5. oldnooob

oldnooob Prince

Now you see it now you don't. all of the enemy shops have zoc . My privateers are coming out of Vinyangra. note in this save there are either two or three privateers. IF there are three the first one has zoc. IF there are only two you will have to wait one turn for the next one to be built.

6. oldnooob

oldnooob Prince

@45 I am trying to upload a zipped log folder to the forum but Sourceforge refuses it with "missing security token" error Is there anything you can suggest to fix this?

These logs are from a crash that just happened from the same game you are looking at above.

7. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

I think it's a sourceforge problem, it happened to me a couple of days ago. Either use another website or try again later or tomorrow.

8. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

I don't get your problem. I can use your privateers to attack those HR galleons and frigates without any problem. Also, I can use your brigantines in Madurai to do the same. So from what I can see ZoC isn't working but in the opposite way: it doesn't seem to affect anything. Are you saying that when you try to use your privateers in Vinyangra you can't attack those galleons/frigates in front of the city in your save?

Edit: Ok, I think I've got it. It looks like SeaControl promotion only works on the first turn you give it to units. If you reload the game, it won't work anymore. That makes me think it's a cache issue; it's something that was modified by Afforess on rev796 for optimization. I'll have a look at the code but I'm not sure I can fix it (well, of course beside reverting to the old code).

9. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Well think I figured out that "music problem" I had. Sort of.

Ctrl-M is supposed to stop the soundtrack but not completely mute the music (Leader music will still play and so on) and pressing it again will restart it, essentially cycling through the tracks.
    This for some reason stopped working for me in AND, but just now out of curiosity I pressed Ctrl-Alt-M instead and viola! Music stopped as it should, and pressing it again restarted it.

So.... Guess the keys got rebinded or overwritten by something then? :confused:
    Don't really understand, but it's working now so it doesn't matter anymore. Hit the Industrial era just now, and there's several tracks in that I like skipping past, so this is good ^^

Oh yeah, and I'm still in Republic. +250% maintenance costs per city, running 55% Science and have 25 cities - five of which are off continent. I don't think I've EVER been in Republic this long and certainly not with this large an empire!

10. oldnooob

oldnooob Prince

@45 Thanks for looking into it. its very frustrating because it seems to come and go. sometimes I can attack and sometimes I can't attack. It's like random or something.

Hope your family is feeling better now.

11. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

We're all feeling better, thank you :)
    I've tried reverting to the old code before Afforess optimization but it still doesn't work. I don't understand what's going on but I'll try again.

12. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Oh well, maybe I've been able to at least partially fix it. I'll upload the fix later today after some test.

13. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

@Rezca
    You are gonna hate me for this, but ctrl+m works perfectly for me in rev852 :wavey:

14. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

It's been doing this for me personally for almost a hundred revisions now, there definitely wasn't any rev852 when I first started noticing it :lol:

But yeah, once I update (again) I won't have to use Ctrl-Alt-M anymore yey!

15. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

For me it worked in 844 too ;-)
    Can't it be something for you outside of RAND?

16. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Ok, I'm uploading my fix. For some reason, units Zone of Control wasn't being stored when saving/loading a game. I've fixed that. Unfortunately, I'm not able to make it work backward; so every unit already upgraded with Sea Control promotion won't probably work in any already started game with any revision before rev852. Any unit that you'll upgrade to SeaControl, either in a newly started game or in an updated game, from now on, will work as intended. There's just another glitch: if 2 units with SeaControl are one next the other as in oldnoob's screenshot, you won't be able to attack either of them. Of course the same applies both to AI and human players. I'm not sure if this is good because it can be abused, but it can be used by both human and AI players so that makes it at least fair. And of course once you reach flight, airplanes aren't limited by ZoC so you can sink ships with airplanes if necessary. I've not been able to change that glitch, so for now it will stay as it is.

17. triplebassist

triplebassist Chieftain

I'm sorry to be bringing this up again, but I have posted about a problem with foreign connected cities and have not gotten any answers yet.

Even when two cities appear to be connected on the map, in face even when the foreign city says there is a connection, there do not appear to be any connections on my cities. A good example of where this is occuring is with Thebes. According to the map, there's a connection, but neither city shows one.

This is on rev 849.

There's a save attached here. I don't know how to put that in this thread as well.

18. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Are you saying you should have Thebes among your foreign connected cities? And why should it be? Egypt is running Coinage --> no foreign city connection.

19. triplebassist

triplebassist Chieftain

I chose that as an example because I could see it on the map. I forgot to check and see if it had connections open itself. I'm pretty sure there were a couple of other civs that were open, but something similar may have happened.
    Is the map supposed to show a connection even if there isn't one because of civics?

20. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

I'm not sure, can you show me how are you seeing this connection? You're probably using some feature I don't use. I'm going to sleep now, I'll check tomorrow.