1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

General A New Dawn discussion

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Rezca, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Well nuts, I was hoping I wouldn't have to start all over :lol:
    Was certainly having fun with my large Republic empire there.

Mm, still not sure I 100% how that all works. I keep thinking that I should have my difficulty bumped up to Immortal or Deity instead of sitting on Prince/Monarch in situations like this, but if it's working as intended then... It's working as intended and I just don't understand it :crazyeye:

2. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

I am pretty sure this is possible and I am looking into it.

3. Afforess

I have updated ZoC in Rev 856 to work this way.

4. aggri1

aggri1 Prince

Saw that in the build thread: your efforts are appreciated.

5. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Alright, so Zara declared war on me out of nowhere (He already disliked me and I was weaker than him, so that was just a matter of time). I'd been wanting to pay Kangxi to declare on him for a while, but the new mechanic for bribing people into wars resulting in other nations not trusting you kept me from doing so. I was already on rocky ground with most people for varying reasons, that being the only reason I didn't just up and do it like I usually do.

Now, Ethopia declared on ME so I was free to call in some war allies. At least, that's what I thought. I promptly paid China and (Portugal I believe) into the war with the Cartography tech, and then found that the Dutch and several others now "Don't trust my nefarious schemes"

I'm sorry, what? I thought that the hidden penalties for this only applied if you were not at war and bribed people into random conflicts, but if you call in someone to help you against a hostile faction that declared on you unprovoked... It's a nefarious scheme?

If that's intentional, I can't say that's a good idea - being penalized for asking for aid in a war you didn't start. =/

6. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Is there any way at all to turn off or at least adjsut the feature that makes the world - even Friendly leaders - pissed at you for asking help when a leader declares on you unprovoked?

I was under the impression this only kicked in if you paid a leader to declare on someone you weren't at war with, but it was forgiven/ignored if you paid someone to declare on a nation you were at war with already. I can totally understand people disliking you for stirring up trouble, but asking for help when people are declaring war on you?

7. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

I was under your same impression but since Afforess coded that part I'd wait an answer from him. But I agree with you, you shouldn't get that penalty or at least it should be much lighter. And no, no way to turn it off.

8. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Not really sure what I was thinking when I asked about it being able to be turned off heh. Guess I've just gotten used to AND's being able to configure or switch off almost everything :crazyeye:

I was pretty surprised hehe... Was sitting there wanting to jump at seeing Kangxi willing to declare on Zara, which under normal circumstances I would (Love having the AI go at each other like that. Not only fun to watch, but it slows them both down real bad unless one of them actually starts steamrolling the other) but didn't since I was trying to improve relations with folks off-continent - the Dutch and Portuguese being two that were actually Friendly. Then Zara declared on me, so I paid two people in and was about to go to the Dutch to ask for help and nop - didn't trust me :eek:

Shortly after I made peace with Zara (Razed one of his junk border cities) ASOKA declared war on me. And unlike Zara, he had a big Arquebustier army up and ready, and was much stronger than Zara was surprisingly. :sad:
    No one would bother listening to my pleads for help (Because asking for help in a war you didn't start is evil), and Asoka took one of my cities. But, while he was stomping his several large stacks around in my territory, he left two of his border cities lightly defended - the second of which only had one unit inside! Blowing away the massive defenses, I eventually razed both and then retook the city he took from me which was suffering from near-constant rebellions, and then made peace. Went from 0.6 to 1.8 in power at the end, and by the time the war was over the Dutch and Portuguese had calmed down and were willing to sign Defensive Pacts with me.

I've got to say that I'm relieved that the distrust isn't permanent :)

Been quite the wild game so far. Kangxi who was leading in power through most of the game by a huge margin is now being torn apart by the French, who is AFAIK the only one with Rifling (Most people still have Arquebustiers and only some have Muskets). The world power seats keep trading positions, I'm behind in tech something fierce but am still keeping up with score and power - and it was quite amusing to see 7-city Egypt be the #1 Powerful for a while :lol:
    Started this game off with only me in the game, let the others spawn on their own... But doesn't that affect resource spawning too? Less players = Less Strategic Resources? I notice a surprising scarcity or even total lack of certain resources when I play games like this...

9. Afforess

This is exactly how it works. Starting a war you are not part of increases your 'warmonger' index. Buying war allies for a war you are already part of has no effect on that.

10. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Well I haven't paid anyone to declare war at all this whole game (Shocking, I know.) up until now. Zara declares on me and I ask Kangxi and Alfonso into the war against him - Kangxi being Cautious and Alfonso being Friendly. I turn to Willem, also friendly, and he "doesn't trust my nefarious schemes". Before I bought Alfonso in to help me, Willem was willing to declare as well - but after that... Nop.

He's calmed down now though, and we've got a Defensive Pact up finally... But asking those other leaders to help me against Zara made him suspicious of me when from what you're saying, he shouldn't have had that happen? :confused:

11. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Right so still confused about people getting upset for asking help in a war I *didn't* start, but something else just came up that confused me a bit...

Alright, so I checked and double checked everything I could think of here... And just can't spot the problem. I don't even know if there is a problem!
    So, my capitol had built a Factory and later a Shale Plant. The city has a large 14+ Population, and starts building a Skyscraper. A turn before it finishes, I get a message saying construction cannot continue. Well okay then, I just move on and don't pay much mind to that, and continue building Skyscrapers in other cities.

At some point I checked the city build list and it said why I couldn't build a SKyscraper in Kyoto - It had no access to power.

Checking the city buildings, the Shale Plant was not there at all. Even worse, it said I couldn't build a Shale Plant in the city. I had no option to actually! The only power plant I could build was an Oil Plant, which I couldn't because there was no oil on our entire continent (I ended up adding some in manually via the World Builder. I love starting the game alone with Barb Civs and Revolution since the game is so different, but it totally screws up Resource placement. There was ZERO Uranium on the entire Huge map until I placed some myself!)

Even though the Shale Plant doesn't use Coal like the building it replaces does, I canceled my giving Coal to another nation, but that as expected didn't do anything. I even tried adding it in via the World Builder, but it didn't show up in the building list afterwards.

Several of my other cities can still build Shale Plants, just not the capitol :confused:

So, I can't figure this out. Am I missing something obvious, is this a bug, did I not read something right and it's all working as intended? Don't see how a tech could be nullifying it, since my other cities can still build them, and it can't be a missing resource since it's resourceless... It's not even showing up in the Building List at all - even clicking "Show Unbuildable"... It's just not there at all.

*Edit* Power just magically came back on in Kyoto along with the Shale Plant that vanished from the city without a trace. No idea why or how but it came back. Not going to complain, but I do wish I knew why the Shale Plant just went poof like that :confused:

12. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

I've checked your save and I see that I can build Shale Plant in all your cities except those that you've conquered (but you can build Coal Plant, which is right) or that don't meet requirements (factory). The only exception is your capital, I don't know why Shale Plant doesn't show up. I suspect it might have something to do with some XML tag, Shale Plant is the only one having both

<bPower>1</bPower>
    <bDirtyPower>1</bDirtyPower>

But I'm not sure. I could try changing bPower to 0 like Coal Plant and I'll let you know.

13. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

Just an idea :
    How exactly the spy action >disable power grid< work? Can't it be the shutting down of power buildings? That would explain why the building dissappear than reappear.
    Can you check an earlier save game with WB before it dissappears?

14. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Ok, that doesn't work. But if you just do a recalc, your shale plant will get back (ctrl+shift+T).

15. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

It's possible, and the first thing I thought of... But I don't recall getting any message about it, and it lasted a good much longer than just a few turns like it says in the Civopedia.

I'll do that if a building mystery vanishes again thanks :)

16. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Do you have any saves just before and just after your shale plant disappearing? Or at least as close as possible to that "event".

17. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Right, Shale Plant disappeared again.

So this time, I opened up the city screen and drafted a rifle from it - and noticed the food count went from +3 to +15... And that the power went zap in the process. Power plant had vanished once more.

So I performed the recalc and after a minute or two it finished and the plant came back.
    Until the next turn, when I drafted from the city again which promptly caused the power plant to vanish :confused:

So drafting causes operated buildings to cease to exist? Doesn't seem like it, since I drafted a few rifles from my other cities with Shale Plants and they kept their power and the building. Just seems like the capitol that's suffering from this for some reason.

18. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

I'll check to see if an autosave can pull me close to it, but I don't think so. I didn't really pay it much mind at first since I didn't figure anything kmight have been wrong right away. I just had it happen again to me though (See above post)

Drafting from the city somehow made the plant vanish for me :crazyeye:

19. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Brilliant! That makes perfectly sense! When you draft, you reduce population size and since Power Plants employ citizens the first one being used is the employed one. It should happen the same with other power plants or other buildings employing citizens. I think we can solve this one.

20. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Does make sense now that I think about it - though the power plants in the other cities (Well, the two I tested anyway) retained their power plant after the draft - just not the capitol.

The power plant didn't return after a few turns though - it's like the drafted citizen took the power plant with him on his way to pick up his coat and rifle :lol:

Hopefully it should be an easy fix :)