1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

General A New Dawn discussion

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Rezca, Mar 29, 2014.

1. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Chieftain

It works much better with that unit per tile limit. Also, AFAIK using UPT limit solve the problem of AI attacking with just one unit.

2. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

I'll set mine to 80 ~ 100 then when I next start up CivIV and see if anything changes then :goodjob:

3. MechatronicJazz

MechatronicJazz Chieftain

I've seen the AI use spies on forts before too, though it might have just been the once. I had deprived my neighbor of their iron by putting a fort on it and they eventually took it back with a spy. Not common though.

4. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

What revision were you using? Past few revs I've only ever had spies being used by Rebels and it was to sabotauge buildings/production - the other AI don't even counter-espionage, Poison Water, or sabotage improvements (That last one was an absolute favorite of theirs in AND)

5. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

So for a while now the buttons on the diplomacy screen have been disappearing on me if I'm not selecting my own portrait. It shoudln't be doing that at all, but oh well.

Now things are vanishing when I select certain AI portraits? :confused:
    Civ4ScreenShot0304.JPG

I checked, and this only happens for Willem. Everyone else the Contact With / Open Borders /War with / etc lines show up as usual. For Willem, everything just vanishes. (Everyone has at least contact with him too)

And of course, the buttons at the bottom of the screen aren't there since I'm not selecting my own portrait :rolleyes:

6. IPEX-731BA5DD06

IPEX-731BA5DD06 Chieftain

Possible answer is that William is Isolated, and the fading contacts has made him lose them with every one, or he has never contacted them as he's isolated.

Just did a quick check in my own current game, Suryavarman and Marcus Aurelius have lost contact with each other, one is a rebel spawn on my continent, the other is an old civ on the 2nd continent.

Its just fading contacts, or no contacts but with yourself.

7. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Should have clarified first - I have that option disabled, and he's sharing borders with multiple other AI, pretty much all available land is under someone's banner at this point. I just accepted an Iron-for-Potatoes deal from him two turns before I took this too :lol:

If this was earlier in the game I'd have thought of that too, though clicking on anyone else's portrait it shows they've got contact, open borders, or are at war with Willem - it just doesn't show it on HIS. :confused:

8. IPEX-731BA5DD06

Strange, I've a bug in my current high to low, which I've had to abandon,

Gilgamesh, seems to have Commando ability on all his units, but no one else has this.

He's gone from a minor player, who I decided not to crush as the 1st civ, to a domination factor with my 3rd civ, back on Continent No 1 again.

I can handle him sending stacks for Grenadiers and rifles, against my muskets and captured cannons, attacking my cites, but I won't accept, commando units running all about through my lands.

They seem to have first strike 4 promotions.

*Edit* No not that, sitting bull had a 4 first strike unit, it only moved 1 tile per turn, Gilgamesh, has whole stacks moving as if they have commando.

I've re-calculated, still getting the 1 worker per victory, now I was just stacking 10, deleting 9 and keeping 1.

Games broken, no fun fighting commando Grenadiers, with Muskets, if the DIDN'T have commando, I'd accept it, as I have stacks of 10 cannons to whittle down these stacks, with bombard. REZCA Use bombard to reduce them down. NEVER attack head on.

9. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

I've seen the Commando thing a few times, it's rare but I've seen it. Never on a whole army before though :eek:

Drill IV-for-everyone! is something I've come to accept as a "Feature" of A New Dawn at this point, ever since the Protective trait was given free Drill II instead of just Drill I, and with how easily experience is tossed around on buildings. :rolleyes:
    Doesn't take much effort for a Protective civ to get those awful Drill IV units, which makes warfare absolute hell with how much they shrug off siege weapon damage. Throwing 20 ~ 30 cannons at a stack to see it barely even take damage (And then they all heal to full on the next turn) is NOT fun at all. :mad:

10. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Chieftain

Could we buff Asatru religion, it's way worse than others. I suggest removing how its wonder goes obsolete with automatic weapons. Also, I think either its temples or monasteries deserve a buff. Something like +1xp for naval units or +15% naval unit production perhaps.

11. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Just now saw this edited post :lol:

I stopped using Ranged Bombard option quite a while ago, so I can't do that anymore. The AI was making far too many stupid decisions when using it, and it won't work on Naval units performing it. Resisting the urge to destroy improvements on the shores with cannons was too much as well (And since the AI never do that... :rolleyes: )

It's still a pain though, since Ranged Bombard only does so much, and if they're just out-healing the small damage ranged attacks do end up doing anyway - which was always the case for me either way - then there's no real difference (Other than being able to keep your cannon, of course).

Drill IV on an entire military is the worst :p
    Especially so in the Classical.... (I've seen that many times too. As said, doesn't take much for a Protective leader to Drill IV their entire nation)

12. S0crates

S0crates Chieftain

Are you sure the UPT limit has fixed AI war ? I have my UPT set to 7 and I still have armies attacking 1 unit at a time or not at all against cities, although I think it has improved drastically with 1 army vs another army

13. 45°38'N-13°47'E

Are you using Stack Attack? If so, disable it. That might be the problem

14. Samson

Samson Warlord

I think Asatru is one of the best. I think shinto is overpowered [1], but of the rest Asatru is my favourite, basically +4 exp. for the most important units, and a temple that gives happiness with iron (the only one that gives happiness when NOT in that state religion.

[1] +1 food on sea is game changing if you have any sea at all, and you also get +1 commerce on sea and +1 happiness for all buildings.

15. youmakemefart

youmakemefart Chieftain

Sounds quite overpowered actually...

16. IPEX-731BA5DD06

Definitely NOT using stack attack. Its ONLY the ONE civ that seems to have this ability.

Its not DRILL IV, because sitting bull DOESN'T have this ability with his units having drill IV.

And they are moving 3 tiles on paved roads, through my culture/territory.

Its most unfortunate, but I've given the game away, I have no hope against Grenadiers, with Commando, defending with Muskets. They just pillage my 3 Iron, No Horse muskets, no hope.

I'll have another look and think about it this time.

17. IPEX-731BA5DD06

I've enable stack attack, and strangely, its stopped the worker war prize every battle, Commando doesn't seem to have been effected, still looking at this, as Gilgamesh had troops every where and I can't keep track of them all.

They won't move and pillage, with commando, they just stop out the front of cities. Seems as if its stopped the Commando for the Sumerian armies.

*Edit* Preliminary Data is in. Changing to Stack attack, makes the 10% war enslavement work correctly, and doesn't enable Commando for the Sumerian’s. Changing back to "Stack attack off" causes 100% war enslavement again, but no commando so far.

I had one worker grab, but I might have missed a unit, so not sure on this. Arrggg Commando with Stack attack, back to it off. Mounted unit ran around my city on Rails, can't F'n win!!!

Looks like I need stack attack, even with it documented problems. NO STACK ATTACK, Commando 1st Turn....ARRRGGGGHHH

18. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

IPEX, the commando-like behaviour of enemies on paved roads is a bug that's been around for a long time, but so far no one has been able to solve it.

19. 45°38'N-13°47'E

Actually I've fixed that months ago now. Strange it's happening again.

20. IPEX-731BA5DD06

Well, its ONLY affecting 1 Civ Sumeria. High to Low, I've never been Sumeria. With my 1st Civ, I crippled them, but choose to leave them as a "time bomb" for my 1st Civ.

Well, did that ever go off, my 1st civ is reduced now to a Vassal, who's master, A Civ I'd previously Destroyed, vassalized themselves to Gilgamesh of Sumeria.

Anyway, it's only happening with Gilgamesh, I can play with it, maybe only paved roads, 3 movement, or 6 with 2 movement mounts.