1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

General A New Dawn discussion

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Rezca, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

You have two separate things going on.

The Gold issue is because you are running the Coinage civic. It cuts off all Gold and Silver in your cities but gives you +1 gold (treasury) per city that would otherwise have Gold and +0.5 gold per city that would otherwise have Silver. So that is actually working as designed.

The other resources is something that another modder will have to look into. I tried a recalculation with Ctrl-Shift-T and it did not change the results. I even tried adding a Stone resource plus Quarry plus Road with WorldBuilder and it still showed exporting one Stone, after another recalculation.

2. SnoopDogg23

SnoopDogg23 Chieftain

Thanks, Vokarya! Many nuances in the game now. I love it.

As for the exporting resource bug, anyone have any ideas?

3. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

The resource problem is caused by Free Trade Agreement not working. I think I can fix it but I'm still away from my modding PC for some weeks. Nothing I can do right now.

4. SnoopDogg23

SnoopDogg23 Chieftain

45 Degrees,

You're right. I had an FTA with Roosevelt. Canceling it didn't help. Anything I can do in the meantime? Is it an easy python switch or modification to the save game to get these resources back? I'm not a modder, but I'm not afraid of going in there with some direction.

Come to think of it, what happened was that I had an FTA with Roosevelt, and then I was proposing resource trades to him for science using the "What will you give me for this?" function. However, those resources were never actually part of an agreed upon trade, only proposals to a civ with which I had an FTA.

Hope this helps. May be something with diplomacy and FTAs.

Please let me know if I can reset the resource exporting issue in this save game. If not, let me know when you're back modding, and I'll send you a later save game (I'll continue to play in the interim).

Thanks!
    Snoop

5. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

So FTA is broken?

6. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Yeah, FTA is broken and there's no solution at the moment. It's supposed to share all resources between two civs, but it's messing up with trade. Only solution right now is not to use Advanced Diplomacy, but it doesn't solve the problem in already started games. Sorry guys, fixing this will be top priority when I get back.

7. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

So I just had another crazy idea :crazyeye:

Some other mods have this "counter"-mechanism (Armageddon counter in FFH, Flowering counter in Planetfall and Spice counter in Dune mod).

Maybe this would be a great mechanic to mimic the late game's global warming and pollution. Heavy industry would increase the counter, while forests and preserves would lower it. The higher the counter gets the less :food: is produced on tiles and :yuck: penalty would also apply.

8. WishIWasAModder

WishIWasAModder Chieftain

I just wanted to give props to the devs and mad genius idea-guys behind RAND. I have played the snot out of Civ4 with the BUG mod. I finally... after YEARS... grew a bit weary of it, and checked CFC to see if there was anything new and interesting in the mods.

What first caught my eye was C2C. I DL'ed it and gave it a try. I :love:'d the tech tree and the animals giving bonus buildings. Hated the instability, though. I had to give up on it when the CTDs and various glitches just got too much to handle.

So, back to the CFC download page. I was already familiar with FFH, wasn't that impressed with it. Hmm... I saw some discussion on how C2C was derivative of a mod called Rise of Mankind. I decided to give that a try.

There's a YUUGE difference in stability and load times between RAND and C2C. The new units and techs were still there. Civ4 is new again for me! :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

9. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

People are already complaining for the rare dark age event because it's reducing food. Although I like your idea, I think most players wouldn't like it.

10. Randomness

Randomness ...

Depending on how much effort it would take to implement, it could be an option. It's not something I would want in every game, but it would be interesting to play with on occasion.

11. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

I still don't know how much effort it would require, but I'm trying to reduce number of options. We probably have to add Active Senate option. I'd like to remove some old options like Civic Buildings, Early buildings and maybe something else. I wouldn't actually remove them, only make them default on and hide them, but they would be accessible via XML anyway.

12. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

For now, we could make Civic Buildings and Early Buildings meaningless if we remove all the references in Civ4BuildingInfos.xml. Then the game will let those buildings be available regardless of whether or not the option is chosen. That would free up the option space for you to use later.

13. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

That would make most sense, I think. I'm not overly concerned about the Civic Buildings, but the Early Buildings should probably be in every game.

14. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

I like the idea too - depending on how it's implemented anyway :)

The 'Dark Age' is rare enough that it's not really a problem, unless you have Revolutions on that is (The mass starvation tends to make the populations unhappy for some reason :mischief: ). It's not like the Civ3 volcano event that could destroy an entire city - but being the disaster-lover I am, I'd actually like if the volcano events in Civ4 could do that :lol:
    However, that doesn't mean that I'm not sometimes annoyed by disasters. Current game I got struck by TWO comets in only FIVE turns - and they were only a few tiles away from each other. First one took out the two Stone resources I had, the other took out a Deer resource. That, was actually pretty annoying.

On the topic of annoying, Vassals. I'm glad they're not forever bound to you anymore, but man will they just PLEASE MAKE UP THEIR DAMN MINDS on if they want to be a vassal or not!? :mad:

Assyria: We'd like to be your vassal.
    <Accepts>
    Assyria ten turns later: Yeah we'd like to cancel that.
    <Alright then>
    Assyria two turns later: Can we be your vassal again?
    <Fine>
    Assyria ten turns later: Not interested anymore!
    <Whatyever dude>
    Assyria vassalizes to the Maya a few turns after that, and remains as such for several dozen turns, then breaks free. Again.

Korea vassalizes to the Maya somewhere along the lines, and bounces back and forth a few times. I declare on Maya and raze all but three of their cities, then vassalize them.
    Some turns later...
    Korea asks to be my vassal.
    <Accepts>
    Korea ten turns later: Not interested anymore.
    <Sure, whatever. See you in two or three turns.>
    Korea on the VERY NEXT TURN: Can we like, be your vassal again?
    <Gritting teeth, hits accept>
    Korea ten turns later: lolz, not interested anymore.
    <Declares war, razes all but one of their cities, force-vassals them>

It's great they can break free, but man do they jump around way too quickly. It's like, almost every single time they'll ask a nation - AI or your own - to be a vassal then break free at the earliest possible opportunity, only to ask to be a vassal again a turn or three later, often to the same nation they broke free from.

I recently saw an AI do this little dance a while ago too - this one city nation vassalizing to their neighbor, then breaking free a few turns later only to re-vassalize on the next turn, over and over. After about five break aways, they vassalized to a nation on the neighboring continent, only to break free again then vassalizing to their neighbor - again - on the SAME turn they broke free.

Of course, they broke free - again - a few turns later, and I guess their neighbor was fed up with their BS at that point (aren't we all) since they declared war after that breakaway. They got conquered three turns later, and weren't exactly missed. :rolleyes:

15. rtt4a

rtt4a Prince

there is such mechanism, try to load K-mod and look global warming.

16. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

I destroy the Zulu civilization, and for twelve whole turns, they continue to stick around. I check the World Builder, and this is because he has a scout - a scout - wandering around in Iroquois territory. Deleting it and he finally vanishes as he should have. (Checking back to the save a turn before I wiped his last city, and that scout was indeed the only unit he had those twelve turns)

I know very little about the deeper mechanics of AND, so I don't know if this is something that can be easily fixed or if it's just something we'll have to live with.

Back on the voluntary vassal topic... Just now Japan's been asking to be my vassal. Upon taking Hiro in, I counted the turns. Ten turns exactly after being vassalized, he said he had no interest in being my vassal anymore.
    Two turns later, he asks to be y vassal again. Once again, exactly ten turns after accepting, he breaks off. The NEXT TURN he asks to be my vassal again. As before, it was ten turns later when he cut loose from me. Given this is exactly what the others have been doing (Vassalize, break off ten turns later, then a few turns later ask again) I didn't bother accepting again after that, though he's asked several times. Sorry dude, I know how that's going to go. As of now, the only vassals that are worth having are military acquired ones. You don't want that buddy, just stick to your little tundra island and live in peace :nono:

Really, if they're going to come to you - or for that matter, even to other AI nations - with the intention of vassalizing to you, they shouldn't just jump away the second the agreement can be canceled, especially if they're just going to beg to come back a turn or two later. Which they almost always do.

I just don't see what their logic is here :confused:

17. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

If you clicked the "Require Complete Kills" option at the start of the game, your issue with the Zulus is working exactly as designed.

18. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

I've never used that option, and I've triple checked - it's not on. Supposedly their military is supposed to decay over time until they finally get kicked out, but he only had a single scout all this time.

19. MechatronicJazz

MechatronicJazz Warlord

On the vassal back and forth thing - I've seen that too, but most of the time you can actually ask them to be your vassal again the same turn they ask to leave an they'll say yes. You basically just need to renew the vassal agreement. Annoying, yes, but if you remember to ask them they'll stay your vassal unless they actually have some reason to leave.

20. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

I do think it's at least a little better than the perma-vassals they used to be, but I feel that I'll be playing with Vassal states disabled though for the time being, since this breaking free the second the 'treaty length' is over then immediately re-vassalizing thing is getting terribly annoying and really kills my enthusiasm for the vassals mechanic. I really do like having 'em, but with the way it's working right now... Well there's always Permanent Alliance option, even if that does come in much later in the tech tree than vassal states do.

On another note, does this vassal bouncing affect the Reichstag wonder any? It says it triggers a Golden Age when a nation becomes your vassal, but does it trigger only once per nation? I haven't built it in ages so I can't remember if that's the case or not, but if it does trigger multiple times for the same nation then this back-and-forth vassalizing could be abused for owners of that wonder. Vassal them, wait for them to drop off, then vassal them back again for another golden age.