General Civ 3 Strats

I'm well on my way to winning on Monarch right now, but I've learned a number of tricks along the way that might allow me to win on Emporer. A lot of the conventional tricks in Civ 2 don't work, and there are a lot of counter-inuitive tricks in Civ 3 to exploit. For example, if you want to grow your population it is often best to sacrifice your population to build the initial granary. Homeland defence is not particularly challenging, so if you do well in the initial land grab you should be able to hold your own. With Religious civilizations you can rush build temples fairly effectively. In the industrial era you can exploit weaknesses in the computer's AI, if you can capture two of their cities in the same turn, which is very possible with cavalry and artillary, the computer will offer to make peace with you, which means a) they will not attack any of your exposed units and b) you can roll them for some cash or a tech advance.

The only thing I haven't figured out how to do is build Wonders without resorting to using up great leaders. I always get beaten on the early WoW and a lot of them, like the Pyramids, Bach's Cathedral and the Great Library are pretty important.

Top Bottom