General Conquest Difficulty Question

wasteland

Chieftain
Hello everyone,

Recently signe up to the forum but have been playing Civ since CivII, then onward to CivIII PTW and finally Conquests. My wife bought it for me for a birthday present recently and I'm very happy with some of the epic quests.

My question, however, is concerning playing a basic game on chieftain level in conquests as compared to PTW. I find that the difficulty in general has been upped a notch, or is it just me? What I mean is that the adjustable starting civ hostility rate seems to be higher. Am I completely cracked or have others noticed this too?

Anyway, thanks for having a great forum and I'm sure you'll
see me around throughout my various phases of civ addiction:
denial, abstention, re-addiction ;)

Well, Civs are more aggressive (one thing that I wanted :D ). If you don't like that, you can just change their aggression in the player setup screen. ;) It is very convenient.

Originally posted by wasteland
Hello everyone,

Recently signe up to the forum but have been playing Civ since CivII, then onward to CivIII PTW and finally Conquests. My wife bought it for me for a birthday present recently and I'm very happy with some of the epic quests.

My question, however, is concerning playing a basic game on chieftain level in conquests as compared to PTW. I find that the difficulty in general has been upped a notch, or is it just me? What I mean is that the adjustable starting civ hostility rate seems to be higher. Am I completely cracked or have others noticed this too?

Anyway, thanks for having a great forum and I'm sure you'll
see me around throughout my various phases of civ addiction:
denial, abstention, re-addiction ;)

I would say Yes, they have more hostility.

You can lower their aggressive level, but I think that makes them less inclined to start Wars with other AI Civs.

Also they are less inclinded to trade Techs, or sell them to you.

There are also fewer Resources spread over the Map.

Fewer resources was the big headache, I found. I played a 8-player game with me and 5 other civs on one continent. 2 of the civs were wiped early. Turns out there was only 1 saltpeter on the whole bloody continent! When I didn't get coal either, I chucked that game.

Didn't you notice the change in corruption !!!!
In version 1.o the corruption is to high due to some bugs ...
Install the available patches as soon as you can.:)

By the way ... welcome :thumbsup:

Ya, got the patch sorted out straight away. I've been coming to civfanatics for the patch info since PTW as it's a hell of alot more streamlined than atari's site, which is kinda funny when you think about it; it's not that surprising I guess, leave it to the fans to get everything done because we're the ones who actually play the game in more than a Q/A capacity.

Once again, thanks for the welcome.

Originally posted by DBear
Fewer resources was the big headache, I found. I played a 8-player game with me and 5 other civs on one continent. 2 of the civs were wiped early. Turns out there was only 1 saltpeter on the whole bloody continent! When I didn't get coal either, I chucked that game.

I can't bring myself to play anything less than regent level and as a result am constantly 3rd or 4th when the game ends. But that's beside the point. I can't tell you the amount of games I've played where I didn't have access to iron, saltpeter, HORSES or anything yet still drudged through. The last game I had that was the case and after pretty much being America's b**ch for resources it finally caved in on me when both the Greeks and the Babs attacked me at once. I could've handled the Greeks alone but then I lost my saltpeter and got NO COAL when I discovered steampower. So I was done. I can't imagine playing this game on a more difficult level.

I have just discovered these boards and am learning some good stuff so maybe one day. :D

Yes, these boards are extremely helpful and have a lot of good info about civ 3 (but don't come here if you're looking for social advise! Anywhere but here!!!;) :p ).

I still haven't gotten the patch for C3C, and I am wondering if the patch will kick in straight to the game that I'm currently playing, or should a wait till I'm done with my current game?

BTW, I'm playing my first randomly generated epic game on C3C, and the resouces suck!!!! On a standard map, there's only TWO saltpeter! ack! Is this changed in any of the patches?

Top Bottom