1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

General discussion for civics.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by raxo2222, Jun 12, 2017.

1. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Just like civilization in Modern era still having some functioning buildings from Prehistoric era, and few more obsolete, that never got removed :D

Can be civics sorted like this:
    It seems like there are 3 major groups.
    Primary: Government, Rule, Power, Military, Religion - Politics
    Secondary: Society, Economy, Welfare, Currency, Labor - Socioeconomics.
    Tetritary: Garbage, Immigration, Language, Education, Agriculture - Miscellaneous.

That is all political civics would be grouped in one place, just like socioeconomical civics and miscellaneous civics.
    That is it would look like this:
    Government, Rule, Power, Military, Religion, Economy, Currency, Welfare, Society, Labor, Education, Language, Immigration, Agriculture, Garbage.

That would require sorting in CIV4CivicOptionInfos.xml in gameinfo folder.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Are you mainly making the suggestion to rearrange what order the civic groups come up in on the civics page? Or are you trying to suggest something deeper?

3. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

I'm mainly suggesting order of civics here.
    Spoiler :

Can civic icons on top of civic advisor be much closer to each other, so you can see all 15 category icons?

4. Septentrion

Septentrion Warlord

The garbage "civics" can easily be covered by psuedo-buildings in the early eras and then chosen buildings later on. The later buildings already exist and what sort of revolution is garbage-collection based?

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

You don't have to have civics require revolution time. I'm in support of the garbage civic but I'd advocate removal of revolution for more minor categories of civics like garbage. Rax actually grouped civics into categories which I would strongly suggest be the basis of how much base revolution would take place - the more major the category, the more base revolution. Minors... probably shouldn't have any revolution at all.
    Not mine to work on so I'll let someone else comment if its something they can do and want to or not.

raxo2222 likes this.
  6. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

@Toffer90 does interface overhaul, so I guess ask him there.
    Toffer, can you change distance between civic category icons in civic advisor?
    So they would fit in one screen without scrolling.
    These icons on top of civic advisors (shown in screenshot)

7. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

That is something that is on my PPIO plan, overhauling the civic screen along with every other screen in the game.

raxo2222 likes this.
  8. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Ah so your grand plan is to make whole game interface and python great again :p

Can we have additional screen on bottom of civics screen, that lists summed influence of civics on health, happiness, properties, productivity and other things?
    Using screenshot above you would see:
    +1 unhappiness and +1 unhappiness in 25 largest cities.
    +8 unhealthiness in all cities.
    +5 to crime and disease per turn.
    Cities needs 150% more food to grow.
    -25% :commerce: from trade routes.
    -2% :food:, -3% :hammers:, -50% :gold:, -25% :culture: and +1% :espionage: in all cities.
    There would be influences on worker speed, building output, units and all other stuff.

9. Septentrion

Septentrion Warlord

There isn't much of a point of giving the player the choice worse civic and better civic. Gabage Everywhere, Burn Garbage, and Gabage to Sea allow can be psuedo buildings at their current techs.

The language ladder is just silly all the way from No Language to Esperanto. There's not going to be a situation where the government disbands language itself to balance the budget. Telepathy may seem oppressive, but it's programed just to be the next step. This sort of progress seems like it can be handled by autobiuldings where the progress of the civilization can be better tracked.

10. tmv

tmv Emperor

I think this is necessary for the diplomatic benefit. This was brought up a few times in the past IIRC.

11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I'm not wanting to tread on Hydro's design there. Ultimately, I'm trying to say these civic categories are baked in and are not going to be removed for any reason. Adjusted perhaps, but never removed.

12. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Agreed, the Path has been laid, no need to pluck up the stones this far into the Mod's development.

Civics will get tweaks, but outright removal, that is not a good idea.

13. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

There is no way other than Civics to implement diplomatic relationships correctly. Both Language and Garbage are Civics because of this.
    In the current screen you can select/change the in the top section without having to go to the bottom. Your suggestion seems to be removing that functionality.

14. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Why reducing distance between icons on top so they all are visible at once would remove their functionality?

15. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Your picture does not show them at all. That is why I asked.

16. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

My picture showed changed order between civics, not reduced distances between icons.

I quickly edited screenshot up here

This is what I meant - 15 icons sittings nicely so first one is visible on left side and last one is visible on right side of civic screenshot without horizontal scrollbar

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  17. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

The reason they are spaced out is because under each are buttons for each of the choices you can make. You can click on those small buttons to change civics rather than using the bottom panel if you want.

18. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Can layout of small and larger buttons reordered, so all large buttons would be visible and small buttons would fit under them nicely?
    3/4 small civic buttons on one row and 5 or 6 / 4 rows so all buttons would fit nicely under revelant large category button.

19. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

I made mockup bar with all 15 categories visible.
    depending on quantity of civics in category there may be up to 5 rows or so.

This is how icons are set now:
    Spoiler :

I sorted categories like this:
    Primary: Government, Rule, Power, Military, Religion - Politics
    Secondary: Society, Economy, Welfare, Currency, Labor - Socioeconomics.
    Tetritary: Garbage, Immigration, Language, Education, Agriculture - Miscellaneous.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  20. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

That means there will not be enough space in the second half to see all the text for the Civic on one screen at lower resolutions.