1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

General game playing Stanford course in Courseera

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by druidravi, Oct 11, 2013.

1. druidravi

druidravi King

https://www.coursera.org/course/ggp

Course info:

Spoiler :

General game players are computer systems able to play strategy games based solely on formal game descriptions supplied at "runtime". (In other words, they don't know the rules until the game starts.) Unlike specialized game players, such as Deep Blue, general game players cannot rely on algorithms designed in advance for specific games; they must discover such algorithms themselves. General game playing expertise depends on intelligence on the part of the game player and not just intelligence of the programmer of the game player.

GGP is an interesting application in its own right. It is intellectually engaging and more than a little fun. But it is much more than that. It provides a theoretical framework for modeling discrete dynamic systems and for defining rationality in a way that takes into account problem representation and complexities like incompleteness of information and resource bounds. It has practical applications in areas where these features are important, e.g. in business and law. More fundamentally, it raises questions about the nature of intelligence and serves as a laboratory in which to evaluate competing approaches to artificial intelligence.

This course is an introduction to General Game Playing (GGP). Students will get an introduction to the theory of General Game Playing and will learn how to create GGP programs capable of competing against other programs and humans.

This is a course I registered for fun and am enjoying it. It basically deals with programming something generally which can play any game somewhat competently given the rules at runtime.

At the end of the course the game programs the 10,000+ students have written will compete against each other to determine an eventual winner.

Prerequisite is very basic symbolic understandning of programms. If you see a basic program you should be able to understand what it does and can modify it.

The course is in 2nd week right now. But the whole first week's lectures and work shouldn't take more than 2 hours . And the hard deadline for the assignments are December 2nd .

https://class.coursera.org/ggp-001/lecture/3 is an introductory video you can watch. But you can't watch it till you get an account :blush: sorry for that , tried to find another link.

Anyways since all of us are games a course which deals with generating strategy , tuning ai , game playing should be fun . It might even help one of us try make Better AI for Civ.

So anyone in?(ITS FREE and you get a certificate of completion when you finish it)

2. druidravi

druidravi King

Some of the startegies in general game playing which can be applied across many games are :

1) Try to get to states closer to goal
    2) Increase mobility(more choices) of your game
    3)Decrease mobility(less chocies) for opponent(s)

One of the videos has a game from GGP world finals

In the above game one of the finalists had a program where trying to minimize the opponent's moves had a bigger weight. However the game chosen for finals happened to be checkers. In checkers game, when you keep a piece for capture the opponent has to capture it. The finalists program kept offering its pieces to reduce opponent's mobility and eventually lost all its pieces :smoke:

3. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

When it's done, could you report how many of the 10,000 have actually hung with it? MOOCs have a notoriously high drop-out rate, something like 95%. I'm interested in whether the topic of this one will make for a larger completion rate. Would appreciate it if you remember.

4. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I'm tempted to try that one now, just to see if I can get credits for it :lol:.

5. druidravi

druidravi King

I'm interested to know that myself. Will update you when the course completes

Well you can since, all the exercises have an hard deadline of December 2nd with no penalty. You would be only 1 week behind. The first week's work for me including the lectures and assignment took me 2 hours.

This course should be fun for hardcore gamers like us!

6. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I rather meant I want to see, if my graduate school will acknowledge this course somehow ;).
    But then again, don't really have time :/.

7. druidravi

druidravi King

Ah well, different schools have their own rules. Very few of them accept MOOC courses as credits. Then too they require something called signature track where you pay extra money to courseera where they validate it is actually you who is writing the exam.
    I think education would be quite different some 15/20 years in future . We might have all universities offering their courses online , and students gets freedom to choose whichever course/University combination he/she likes and get credit for it.