General Island Strategy (not OCC)

yarp72

Chieftain
I would like to make a thread about general longterm and industrial/modern strategy.
Feel free to say anything related to this topic.
Some of my strategies include:
  • Go for pottery early on.
  • Maximize gold in the capitol
  • Choose a finanacial civ or an organized civ, or both (Washington)
  • If your civ is not creative, build stonehenge
  • Get your own religion
  • get a library in the capitol
  • get bureaucracy (Civil Service)
  • get music FIRST and save the great artist for later in the game when you may get another island through and will need culture fast for the island.
  • specialize cities!
  • Get the great library in the capitol if possible.
  • save forest for long term when you need a high population and will benifit from the health bonus.
  • get the tech that enables hereditary rule (i forget the name of it)
Please add to this thread :p:king::thanx::banana:

The Colossus is also nice to have.

Just tried a game with Elizabeth at Immortal.

I manged to build the GLH and Oracle->Metalcasting->Colossus. Nice Combination, when your cities start to grow, you get huge amounts of commerce :) Failed at the Pyramids (I had stone) and Stonehenge.

I thought I was doing pretty good, but when I met the first foreign Civ (Monte) about ~400 he had all possible techs on me :-( The remainder of the bunch was even better. There was a big buddha lovefest going on, no, I didn't found a religion by accident.

I joined Buddha, and shortly after Boudica giftet me Philo. How embarrasing. I had choosen the southern tech path to optics, since I had MC and I wanted to meet someone. Maybe wrong, but I don't think it was possible to do Liberalism first in this map. I gave up when someone invaded me.

Get the great library in the capitol if possible.

Why in the capital? The Great Library is most useful in the city with the most food that is capable of building it. It may well be your capital, but often times it won't be.

get music FIRST and save the great artist for later in the game when you may get another island through and will need culture fast for the island.

This seems a waste of a Great Artist to me, you will probably only need 1 border pop for the city your building. Its usually better to use this G.Artist for a Golden Age, but on higher difficulties even attempting to go Music first is a bad idea.

Get your own religion

Be careful with this one, it is usually better to allow religions to spread from AI civs and convert to them (can't happen if isloated obviously). Founding one of the early ones (Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism) can lead to too much AI trading and very poor relations with you.

1) Forges! Build them everywhere! a 1 tile island with just 1 :hammers: can be made to generate a 'usable' 5:hammers: by just building a forge.

2) In BTS the Apsotolic Palace (AP) wonder is fantastic on maps with low production (such as water heavy maps) due to the +2 :hammers: bonus given to both temples and monasteries of the AP religion. This effect lasts till Mass Media! You don't even need to be the one who built it to gain the beenfits, though doing so can allow you to horde the :hammers: bonus and abuse the AP in all kinds of evil ways :mischief:

The rest is more specifically for archipelago type maps (especially tiny islands).

3) Overseas trade is very, very valuable. Open borders and map out the territoy of overseas rivals early to get trade routes to form. Also remember that trade embargoes hurt much more on archipelago maps than other types as a much higher proportion of :commerce:will be coming from :traderoute:.

4) I often use an early GG on a galley to get Morale, Flanking1, Navigation 1+2. 5 move galleys can be absolutely amazing for ferrying workers, settlers, missionaries and Great People quickly across small islands, just keep it away from battles!

This also seems to have incredible synergy with the GLH. The speed of the galley will allow you to settle cities in far off locations to block AI expansion very quickly, while the GLH greatly softens the blow to your economy.
I've started a few wars purely to get the early GG just for this :lol: (Well and slowing AI expansion)

5) Your ships and trade routes can travel through all water tiles in your cultural influence, and culture can spread into the first ocean tile off the coast. This cannot be used by rivals you have open borders agreements with!

This means that Coast-Ocean-Coast sections of water can be crossed by whoever is controlling the middle Ocean tile and noone else. This is useful in a number of ways:
-It allows you to reach otherwise unreachable islands before Astronomy
-It allows you to crate trade networks with cities you settle on these otherwise unreachable islands
-It allows you to explore further
-It allows trade routes with otherwise unreachable foreign cities to form, while blocking the same foreign civs cities from trading back. Ths is particularly useful as on archipelago maps a very large amount of :commerce: is available from overseas trade
-Allows for some very unfair warfare where you can attack the enemy, but you are immune to them!

Ragnar is good on archipelago maps because his Trading Post gives fast-moving early galleys (and any other kind of ship, of course) who can explore and maybe circumnavigate, and his berserkers make good midgame invaders of coastal cities.

The GLH is HUGE when there's lots of water; I didn't learn about Trade Route Economy (TRE) for a long time, and it's a good deal.

One trick to look for on watery maps: Ocean is crossable pre-Astronomy if there are narrow 1-ocean gaps between your coastal city and the neighbouring coast; your city borders will grow to cross the gap, and your galleons can then cross -- but AFAIK nobody else can use your territory that way. And if there's a 2-ocean gap, and an AI builds an appropriately-placed coastal city, you'll be able to trade with him even though neither of you can send ships. r_rolo1 has cleverly used each of these on some Lonely Hearts Club maps.

I thought I was doing pretty good, but when I met the first foreign Civ (Monte) about ~400 he had all possible techs on me
:eek: Normally Monty is a technology moron.

but AFAIK nobody else can use your territory that way

True, not even vassals can cross it I believe.

One trick to look for on watery maps: Ocean is crossable pre-Astronomy if there are narrow 1-ocean gaps between your coastal city and the neighbouring coast; your city borders will grow to cross the gap, and your galleys can then cross --

Both already mentioned though :p

And if there's a 2-ocean gap, and an AI builds an appropriately-placed coastal city, you'll be able to trade with him even though neither of you can send ships. r_rolo1 has cleverly used each of these on some Lonely Hearts Club maps.

I can't get any trade routes to form with WB in such circumstances, and no resource trading options appear either. Do you have a link to the LHC game for me to check over?

I can't get any trade routes to form with WB in such circumstances, and no resource trading options appear either. Do you have a link to the LHC game for me to check over?
Hmm. As always I may have misremembered. The game in question was Huayna Capac; my map shows the section where my territory abutted Willem's albeit without cultural borders showing.

For the real answer, though, you should read DanF5771's article, whose contents I haven't absorbed yet.

Top Bottom