General Planning: War Gaming the Map

Looking at it in another perspective: We have barely explored beyond the location for city 5; for all we know there is another awesome city site out there for the IW that is just as good or only slightly worse (ie base 75); while we don't have to make the decision right about how to improve each city, we do have to think about the future.

In the sim above Barentz can leave c. t62, upgraded and able to explore; that gives us 14 turns before we settle city 5 to explore for better city sites (and make contact).

So: Memphus proposed an exploration plan for Barentz before he had to return to take over the defense of JD on t57 to check out the land to the immediate SE of JD; Barentz could either head back through the mountain pass after the proposed upgrade, or he could head south and west to start uncovering all of the FoW below us while exploring for the other teams. I know this is technically for the DoW (nice acronym) to chair in the exploration thread, so we should move the discussion over there..

OK, that isn't going to work...I have a spreadsheet with the worker actions and city labour allocations, but I can't get it to show in a decent format on the forum. Is there any way to do that other than take a sccreen shot and post it as an image file?

I uploaded it as a pdf file...and I love google now :)

Attachments

• CDPt55-t76.pdf
    466.6 KB · Views: 65
@krill is it excel?
If yes create a google doc and we can all go look at it. (and you can have people allowed to edit it etc.)

I got a question BTW, something that has been fermenting in the back of my mind; would any team be willing to sell 2 Great Scientists for a GE and a (big?) tech?

I got a question BTW, something that has been fermenting in the back of my mind; would any team be willing to sell 2 Great Scientists for a GE and a (big?) tech?

Gotta say I never thought of that one before.:crazyeye:

Mainly I was thinking that we could get another team to be our ally, press them to get the GL and then we'd swap two of the first 3 GS for a GE and a nice big fat tech. Could be interesting, and would give us an academy in JD pretty cheaply. Definately got synergy with the GE pump.

I suppose such a trade could happen if they think they were going to use the engineer for a wonder, but the tech would have to compensate them for the potential lighbuld value of the scientist pluss the amount of time he was waiting around unused in order to compleate the deal. Such a deal would require a high degree of trust, an ally as you say. As a result it would probably not occure untill late in the game, not really the best time to be founding academies. It could happen but I'm not sure I would be in favor of it.

I'd agree that it is risky; I probably wouldn't go for it, but I was thinking about fitting it around the Great Library: without any GPP stored or gained already, it takes 20 turns to get 2 GS out of the GL city so long as you run 2 scientists (not assuming NE, or PHI), so they wouldn't be be hanging around for long, and Lightbulbs with scientists don't give that many good techs for a while anyway, not until maybe philo.

G_W can convince anyone of anything.

Human's tend to value GE's over GS's. That said I think a 1 t o1 swap would be the easiest to convince someone of. The other piece we coudl try (maybe somone else or same team)

would be 1 GS for one high level tech (worth 2 GS) say for example education. the trades need to be seperated. where the first trade would be earlier for our Academy in JD.

I dunno, we could get a GS out of JD after the first GE if need be, I think that would be better than giving another team a free wonder. Kinda the reason that I favour a 2:1+tech.

Actually, one of the problems with JD is that it grows to fast; working 2 scientists there would be quite beneficial in that regard. Size 6, cow, 3 cottages, 2 scientists, seems OK.

We would have to go IW>writing to do that though; we will have to do some pretty funky stuff wit the workers (we'll need to irrigate both sugars and when we get a raised happy cap quickly grow to it so that we still get the GS before the second GE). It also damages our mid term commerce.

Assuming we get the pyramids and HoG, we would get the second GE on t130; it takes 34 turns to make the GS, we have to start it 1 turn sooner due to IS being before JD in the city queue, so that is 35 turns; we could get a library in JD by t82-t85, I suppose, if we pushed it, then only grow JD when we have both sugars irrigated so we don't waste turns without the academy but also don't waste turns not working cotttages.

EDIT: Actually, if we start working the scientists on t85, then we have 17 turns to the GS there, and 16 to the GE in IS, so that is the optimal turn, and that is very attainable by working the forests (because it is so hammer poor, and maths is a possibility, if we do go for maths we should save them and chop for the extra 20 hammers into a forge, that's 7 turns worth of productino while making the GS).

Also: I'd propose that we consider getting Theo for Christianity as a religion it gives us a shot at Hagia Sophia for more engineer points and faster workers.

Partially complementary to the above post:

We have 3 different options for the city of sheep in the short term, along with a compromise between two of them. We should be able to get a granary built there before the food box is half full at size 2:

1. Build a forge, then the collosus. Grow to size 6 while working hills, Collosus should be finished by t103. If we are careful to whom we trade MC, and when, then we sghould be 100% certain to get the Collosus. Benefits are denial to other teams, safest option as we can always change it to units if need be, slightly increased happy cap and if we really need comerce in the short term we can work the coast. This is the worst researching configuration though.

2. Build a library and run 2 scientists. The lib should be complete by t88 (back of the envelope calculations...) so the GS should pop t122. The lib is complete at size 4, with a couple of turn to size 5 @ 3fpt while running 2 scientists. This would allow JD to focus on cottages. Benefits are alot better long term research rate at the (small) expense of short term beakers.

3. Build a lighthouse and grow to size 6 asap working the coastal tiles. Gives us the fastest possible research (slightly better than lib) in the short term and faster growth. At size 6 can build workers here (circa 6 turns each)

4. build a lib and don't work scientists, working the coast. Slightly faster growth to size 6 than working scientists, but alot worse long term commerce. I think this one should be discarded immediately tbh as the growth isn't spectacular nor is the research boost.

I'm tempted by running 2 scientists there, but I think that we might need another city on military production by t100 if we go for for HoG so that we do have a solid military, and if we have to change to military before we even started the Collosus then this way is much safer.

Option #2 is the best IMO

JD needs an academy. the sooner the better, as we want JD to always be pushign the :) cp working as many cottages as possible.

Top Bottom