General Politics the second: But what is politics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samson

Deity
This is a thread to discuss general politics the world over.

We could also discuss what politics is. I like the definition "The distribution and application of power".

But what does the polis say?

Yes, I got that, but why did Arakhor think of that connection? (I mean a Polis doesn't say anything - does the song include at least some passage about what concerns the fox?) (do I even want to know? :/ )

It just popped into my head whilst I was reading your post, Kyriakos. Nothing too deep. ;)

Politics is just what concerns the Polis. So for them you need a city (or more).
It's a system intended to give structure to who gets to make the decisions and how. You don't necessarily need a city. CFC isn't a city, or at least not what we would think of as a traditional city (we are an online community), yet we have a political system here.

It's a system intended to give structure to who gets to make the decisions and how. You don't necessarily need a city. CFC isn't a city, or at least not what we would think of as a traditional city (we are an online community), yet we have a political system here.

0d7cee9e-362b-426b-9107-8768737cf784_text.gif

Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

View attachment 640354

Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government.

I expect that the term was coined exactly due to the need of meticulous social organization (in ancient Greece) arising only in the highly urbanized states, centered around a capital that was a city.
Of course today you can use it for rural areas too, and many other areas, even for forums as you said :)

Last edited:
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government.

I expect that the term was coined exactly due to the need of meticulous social organization (in ancient Greece) arising only in the highly urbanized states, centered around a capital that was a city.
Of course today you can use it for rural areas too, and many other areas, even for forums as you said :)

The word may have been coined to apply to the ancient Greek city-states, but much of the world doesn't live in that kind of situation.

Yes, I got that, but why did Arakhor think of that connection? (I mean a Polis doesn't say anything - does the song include at least some passage about what concerns the fox?) (do I even want to know? :/ )

This was actually printed in the American Sonic comics.

Attachments

• 0 4eDek6k_oCW4KtKA.png
    0 4eDek6k_oCW4KtKA.png
    237.4 KB · Views: 35
This is a thread to discuss general politics the world over.

We could also discuss what politics is. I like the definition "The distribution and application of power".
I like "War is politics by other means" and "War is old men talking and young men dying".

"War is old men talking and young men dying".
What were the women doing, sitting around knitting?

Princess Elizabeth was a mechanic and drove an ambulance in WWII.

My great-grandmother died of Spanish flu after soldiers returning to that region of Alberta brought it with them.

Women served, and women died.

What were the women doing, sitting around knitting?

Princess Elizabeth was a mechanic and drove an ambulance in WWII.

My great-grandmother died of Spanish flu after soldiers returning to that region of Alberta brought it with them.

Women served, and women died.
Of course. I should have attributed the quote, I believe its from the movie Troy, by Achilles, played by Brad Pitt. The other quote of course is famously by Carl von Clausewitz.

“There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people... Religion, Politics, and The Great Pumpkin.” ― Linus Van Pelt

CFC isn't a city, or at least not what we would think of as a traditional city (we are an online community), yet we have a political system here.
I'll preface this question that I'm genuinely curious, as opposed to challenging your statement, because what I'm about to ask could be read that way but i don't want it to be :) . What is the political system here as you see it? Is it simply in having mods to regulate stuff? Or is it more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom