General Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Berzerker, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Shades of the Sun Supporter

Im a little confused by this. Are you saying that you reject the notion that Manchin statistically votes more often in favor of the Democrats positions in any given vote than a Republican would? Is it your view that a Republican in his seat instead would not vote any differently that he does?

Or Is your view more abstract, say, that Manchin, for example, leaving the Democratic party and joining the Republican party will benefit the Democrats more than him staying because it would remove the baggage that the mantle of "having the majority" places on the Democrats? Is the benefit that Democrats get from that an expectation that they will be looked upon more favorably and/or voters will be more motivated to give them an actual majority and less likely to be critical of their failure to live up to expectations?

Or is your position even more abstract?... something like an observation that Manchin, regardless of his statistical voting record, is not helping with the big ticket, more important items, and what he does help with is not really that important in the big picture?

2. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

The first one, no. The second two, yes, more the second than the third. As for the third item, it's not that Manchin is not merely "not helping" with the big ticket items, he is actively thwarting them. If the cynical view (Manchin is not alone, and if we got rid of him there's be another seven or eight Democratic Senators who'd step into the breach and do the same things he's doing) is correct, then I'm completely wrong here.

Basically, what I'm saying is that yes, Manchin votes with the Democrats on many little things, but most of those little things are not particularly consequential when it comes to the policy issues that I consider important, and I don't believe they are all that politically consequential either. They are not the sort of things that motivate voters to go and vote for the Democrats, especially low-commitment voters, a lot of whom I think helped Biden win in 2020 both because voting was easier in that election and because Trump had made himself so odious to so many people.

Basically, I'm saying that I think we may have reached a point where Manchin is becoming enough of a political liability to the Democrats due to his thwarting them on the big-ticket issues that it's starting to outweigh the benefits of having him on board on the small stuff. I'm not sure about that, of course, and it makes little difference given that Manchin isn't going anywhere soon (and oh I really wish Biden would pull a Nixon and use some fixers to blackmail Manchin into acquiescence).

Hygro, Sommerswerd and Gorbles like this.
  3. r16

r16 not deity

to the end of the Democrats ...

4. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

For the record, this was the essence of what I was getting at. I was more trying to get a feeling if others felt this way, mainly because I'm across the pond (and we have enough of our own problems at the moment :D).

5. amadeus

amadeus Techbrophobe

As long as he stays in the Democratic Party though the Senate can count him towards their operating majority. Is it worth the gamble to try and primary him and lose the seat to the GOP?

Birdjaguar likes this.
  6. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago Moderator

7. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant Supporter

EgonSpengler likes this.
  8. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Whoah whoah whoah let's not leap to conclusions or generalizations. This person may have said he was a nazi but he also shot people so he can't exactly be taken seriously. I mean when the liberals and the left say things like this it really just shows the contempt they have for hard-working Americans. Also have I mentioned how everyone who ever tweeted Black Lives Matter is directly responsible for murdering police officers

9. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

It's funny how when there's a White guy with an assault rifle in his hands who's just shot more than a dozen people, the police are able to talk him into surrendering without any further violence. Yet somehow they're forced to shoot all these Black suspects. Golly, what's that all about?

IglooDame, Gorbles and Birdjaguar like this.
  10. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Clearly unarmed black men are more dangerous to society than white guys with assault rifles. I'm sure there are statistics to prove it too. :rolleyes:

EgonSpengler likes this.
  11. Kaitzilla

Reminds me of when Sean Hannity tells a cop he has a gun, and then he reaches down to his waist to pull up his shirt and show the gun.

Some people mysteriously have no trouble at all with police.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/han...ps-so-lets-not-taint-law-enforcement-overall/

It is amazing the New York cops didn't shoot the mass shooter.

Does anyone know if New York has the death penalty?

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    EgonSpengler likes this.
  12. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

João III likes this.
  13. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

The UK does not have the death penalty, but our convicted mass
    murderers are quite good at being found hung in prison cells.

14. Samson

Samson Deity

And another shooting, apparently targeting the Taiwanese community

A gunman has opened fire in a southern California church, killing one person and wounding five others before churchgoers detained the suspect and hog-tied him in what officials called an act of “exceptional heroism”.

The shooting occurred at an afternoon lunch reception honouring a former pastor of a Taiwanese congregation that has services at Geneva, according to a statement from the Presbytery of Los Ranchos, a church administrative body.​

15. Farm Boy

Farm Boy syntax error

I'm usually satisfied with the oubliette.

16. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

looks like we're sending troops back into Somalia

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...troops-back-to-somalia-after-trump-withdrawal

https://scheerpost.com/2022/04/24/how-obama-biden-team-empowered-terrorists-in-syria/

17. João III

João III King

18. Kaitzilla

Darn it BBC :cringe:
    ... actually, that is totally correct :o

Can other countries still trade with Cuba, or will the USA punish anyone who trades with Cuba?

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  19. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Shades of the Sun Supporter

With jail, it ultimately boils down to the food and the company... like much else in life.

Farm Boy likes this.
  20. João III

João III King