General Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Berzerker, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

Trump has zero chances of getting reelected come 2024, especially after January 6th.

Six months out of office and still being afraid of the Donald is the definition of fear mongering.

Since Biden is now President the media should focus more on him, otherwise people might get suspicious of the media's narrative and might suspect them of deflecting from Biden flaws thereby justifying Trump in the long run when 2024 comes along. Also focusing on Trump just gives him more free press come his inevitable campaign attempt.

Sofista and Ferocitus like this.
  2. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Having a different opinion to other people doesn't mean the other people are "fearmongering".

It's very funny you simultaneously predict that Trump has apparently zero chances of re-election and also claim that focusing on Trump gives him . . . more of a chance. Which is it? If he has zero chance, it doesn't matter what press he gets, surely?

Drakle likes this.
  3. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

He has zero chance if they ignore him. Because if they do that then when people use their memories to recall, the last major memory of Trump would be the insurrection.

If however they keep Trump a hot subject, then the last memory people will have is the media freaking out over his taxes.

Most Americans have the memories of squirrels. Therefore if you continue talking about Trump you run the risk of the story changing and shifting over time from the insurrection to more mundane subjects like his fraudulent tax returns.

EnglishEdward and Ferocitus like this.
  4. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Do you mean that they remember a lot about nuts, but nothing else?

5. Samson

Samson Deity

Imagine the ribbing you would have got if you had posted in the prediction thread in 2016 that Pence would be the one in the republican party to stand up to trump and save the country!

Birdjaguar likes this.
  6. Drakle

Drakle King

Or maybe the media is doing what it always does, and is trying to get eyeballs on their content. Biden's doing boring President stuff, and congressional Dems are doing legislation wrangling. Viewership Numbers are way down. They want anything they can to drive it back up, including talking as much about Trump as they can. Multiple media people have openly stated they miss Trump because it was exciting, they got easy clicks, and they got to be the heroes.

What flaws are the media not covering? They are pretty relentlessly covering every reversal of the Kabul regime in a manner to shame Biden back into action on Afghanistan, but he isn't taking the bait. There was coverage when he narrowly missed his COVID vaccination target, despite there not being much he could do to overwhelm the GOP anti vaxxers. They went down to the border to cover the 'migrant' crisis despite numbers being as expected. And now they are scaremongering about inflation.

And confidently saying Trump has zero chance, is stupid. No one has any idea what the situation will be like in 2024. Trump is still the king of the GOP, they haven't repudiated him. State GOP are carrying out insane audits on his say so, and passing draconic electoral restrictions. Including done attempts to pass laws to overturn resukts they don't like. And even if he can't win democratically, 4 years of GOP radicalisation against Democracy, and them likely having the House due to gerrymandering, means 2024 could be a massive constitutional crisis, even if Biden clearly wins.

He didn't. He had the chance to push for impeachment, and get himself briefly in the Presidency and he passed. He's a consummate coward. Refusing to pull a desperately stupid coup isn't really standing up.

Ziggy Stardust and Deadly Dog like this.
  7. Sofista

Sofista Deity

All for the greater good. Although I, as an outsider, kinda miss the 3-ring circus.

100% agree. But just observing from this very forum, he's still central to this thread. And his rear end's thread. And the clown car thread.
    Again, as an outsider: he feeds on the spotlight. So what if he runs for POTUS again? He's going to lose, which should (in my world) mean the opposition should be a-OK with it. What am I missing?

8. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The long wait

We have to live with these people?

9. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

the Fla gov DeSantis will be the GOP nominee in 2024

10. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

Nope.

11. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The long wait

We were still fighting over whether or not a politician that does not sleep around on his wife by definition hates women.

Samson likes this.
  12. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Kremlin papers appear to show Putin’s plot to put Trump in White House
    Exclusive: Documents suggest Russia launched secret multi-agency effort to interfere in US democracy

The link has more.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-show-putins-plot-to-put-trump-in-white-house

Ziggy Stardust and Samson like this.
  13. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Trump's chances of winning in 2024 are greater than 0.

Unless he's convicted.

14. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Biden is boring.

The GOP Trump sycophants are more sensationalist and .... well, anywhere between silly and sleazy. Which gets you clicks.

If the GOP had dumped Trump, the only thing to report would be; "Trump still spouting lies about the election, like he did yesterday, and the day before that, going back to 7th of November."

Drakle, Birdjaguar and Sommerswerd like this.
  15. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

I was going to respond with exactly the same sentence. Biden is a return to ordinary, competent governance. So basically nothing to talk about.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  16. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I dunno. We expect politicians to be weirdos, but calling your wife "Mother" is a sign you might be a professional weirdo.

Drakle likes this.
  17. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

IDK, my own mother and father would sometimes call each other "Dad" and "Mom" sometimes. They'd call each other by their normal names too. Maybe it's a parent thing?

Sommerswerd likes this.
  18. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

@Berzerker The Good People are now allowed to point out that Russiagate was absurd. The Sanctioned Media is saying so, finally. The thing was already milked for all it could produce...

Apparently nobody cared to notify the poodles at The Guardian yet, but it's not like our betters care about their pet journos. They're supposed to learn on their own to lick the hands that feed them.

Berzerker and Ferocitus like this.
  19. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

I promised to not post any more Channel Nein! quotes. This is it. :)
    Free press: one controlled undemocratically by the property owning elite.

20. amadeus

amadeus 朕ハ掲示板ナリ

I’m not doubting that they could have, but we should also consider the possibility that they didn’t, or at least didn’t to the scale the documents suggest.

The reason I say this is because it would be an easy, cheap way for Russia to get America’s intelligence services to waste resources following up something that might not be there. I suspect we do the same thing to other countries too—there was some case I was thinking of, but can’t remember it off the top of my head. :)