General Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an interesting use of "90%."

Are all those kids eligable?
From the original link:

The payments phase out for single parents with incomes above $112,500 per year and married parents with incomes above $150,000 per year.
So I am guessing most are. For it to be as low as 90% about 90% of US kids are in houses earning over $112,500 - $150,000.

That's an interesting use of "90%."

Jacobin's editors fudged the story's topline. What it should have said was 90% of eligible children whose families didn't file income tax returns- so, exactly the children in the deepest poverty whom the credit is supposed to be helping the most. And that's 720,000 children who are getting the credit out of about 7 million who are eligible but didn't file taxes, so 90% unreached.

Jacobin is pretty reliably lying, or useless, from my experience. But yes - that's exactly the point. They're pumping a horsehockyload of fiat into inflation, in a great percentage to people who do not need it, who will then bid out for goods the people who need it most, who aren't getting it. It's a real Biden ****job, near as I can tell.

Jacobin is pretty reliably lying, or useless, from my experience. But yes - that's exactly the point. They're pumping a ****load of fiat into inflation, in a great percentage to people who do not need it, who will then bid out for goods the people who need it most, who aren't getting it. It's a real Biden ****job, near as I can tell.
The people you are giving it to is people with kids. As someone without them, it totally seems like that is a class that is likely to need it.

It really seems like to means test at such a high level is not worth it. There must be loads of costs in making it means tested, and what percentage of US families both earn more than $150k (median income ~ 31K) and would claim it must be less than what it costs to run.

Jacobin is pretty reliably lying, or useless, from my experience. But yes - that's exactly the point. They're pumping a ****load of fiat into inflation, in a great percentage to people who do not need it, who will then bid out for goods the people who need it most, who aren't getting it. It's a real Biden ****job, near as I can tell.

True, simply socializing child care would be a vastly superior option.

It's pretty social already, so it's not like that's a magic word that somehow changes reality.

No, socialized like how in the Soviet Union child care was free to anyone at government-run facilities.
You mean school is communism!!!

A man whose childhood enjoyed that system is arguably my best friend. You should have seen the black market economy that actually raised children. Of course, in part. But I get the feeling there were people who enjoyed more relative privilege, which sounds sort of familiar.

But sure, keep childcare social. It's stupid otherwise.

Our rural school district waives all fees and provides 2 meals a day for children under income thresholds. School year or summer. Doesn't seem like a bad idea. We pay enough percentages in property tax that I'm pretty sure all these Trumpy enemies expect that to remain true.

Few states have more limited voting options than Delaware, a Democratic bastion that allowed little mail balloting before the pandemic hit.

Biden has assailed Georgia’s new voting law as an atrocity akin to “Jim Crow in the 21st century” for the impact it could have on Black citizens. But even once the GOP-passed measure takes effect, Georgia citizens will still have far more opportunities to vote before Election Day than their counterparts in the president’s home state, where one in three residents is Black or Latino. To Republicans, Biden’s criticism of the Georgia law smacks of hypocrisy. “They have a point,” says Dwayne Bensing, a voting-rights advocate with Delaware’s ACLU affiliate. “The state is playing catch-up in a lot of ways.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/04/democrats-voting-rights-contradiction/618599/

hypocrisy?

say it aint so

A very interesting change of tack by the Biden administration.

Blinken to diplomats: It’s OK to admit U.S. flaws when promoting rights
The secretary of State shared details of his human rights and democracy priorities in a cable sent
to U.S. embassies around the world.

The cable is strikingly frank in acknowledging America’s internal challenges, a risky political move
given current conservative anger over educational and other attempts to highlight U.S. failures on
sensitive issues such as race. And while Blinken includes some cautious caveats about how to deal
with abusive allies, the message overall is a break from the strategy of former President Donald
Trump’s administration, which largely avoided criticizing the rights records of governments, such as
Egypt and Saudi Arabia, whose cooperation the U.S. needed on various fronts.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/16/blinken-us-human-rights-499833

Due to some oversight they omitted any mention of Israel in the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom