1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

General Timing Tips/Reminders

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Binka, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Binka

Binka Chieftain

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have general timings to get certain units, cities, buildings, Social Policy's, Tech's, and anything else out by a certain turn in the game. Obviously this is going to vary from different strategies, but I'd love some of your advice.

So, depending on weather you are going Wide/Tall, Domination or Non-Domination, what are some of your timings you keep in the back of your mind?
    For example, generally, around what turn do you try to get
    • Second City
    • Third City
    • Fourth City
    • First Wonder
    • Universities
    • Certain Social Policies
    • Certain Tech (Writing, Education, etc.)
    • Any thing else I didn't mention

Thanks!!

2. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Chieftain

All of these things vary by: civ, start position, neighboring AI & CS, difficulty level, strategy.

The only thing I can say is that if you want a fast win, you should have Universities by turn 110 or so. But that varies by 10-15 turns depending on difficulty level, start, whether or not you do early warmongering, etc. Still, if you don't have universities by turn 120 at most, you won't have a very fast win. I think you're better off thinking in terms of having a strategy. The reason people obsess about fast wins IMHO is that optimal play is necessary for Deity, and because optimal play helps a lot in multi-player. But optimal play requires having a strategy... For example, you can win with one city. You can capture your 2nd city as a capital and annex it. You can get 4 cities quick with Liberty, or wait until after you get National College to spawn your third city with Tradition.... all are valid approaches. You can go for 6 cities on lower difficulty levels. Or settle 4 and annex two capitals, and then hunker down for max science...

So many different ways to play. First Wonder? How about "which wonder"? Oracle? Hanging Gardens? Petra? Porcelain Tower? Often PT is my first wonder. Sometimes it's Pyramids. For most wonders, there's a *maximum turn*, not a minimum, on Deity... IE you must have by turn X or you probably won't get it. But an optimal turn? Maybe for pyramids... depends on your civ though!

3. Resipsa

Resipsa Chieftain

I wouldn't even say you need Universities by a certain time because if you are going for a DOM/CV it might not be a priority. You don't have to rush to the internet to win a CV.

Back on track, my suggestion to improve is simply to take a build and play on immortal to start off and when you can duplicate results on a consistent basis you can step up to Deity. Deity demands that you have a plan from the start and for me a lot of micromanagement meaning locking tiles bouncing spys around bribing the AI to DOW each other.

4. ekimdranid

ekimdranid Chieftain

I'm about to make the jump to immortal. This is exactly my strategy. Play immortal until I can duplicate results per victory condition. I think the higher difficulty will only make the game more enjoyable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk now Free

5. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Chieftain

You don't have to rush to the internet to win a CV, but for most civs it's the best way to ensure victory at the moment. We'll see if the patch helps with that.

6. Resipsa

Resipsa Chieftain

You can also win by establishing a religion in 2 nonreligious AIs and building the forbidden palace, you'll be able to convince them to vote for your world religion proposal and that should give you the votes to win. Crank out tourism and bank faith to buy 2 or 3 great musicians for when you win the intwrnational games buy your musicuans and close out the game.

7. eewallace

eewallace Chieftain

As others have noted, it is very situational, but here are some generic guidelines for a standard/continents game on the king/emperor level, playing tall with a civ that isn't overly war-oriented. Scout (first thing to build) and warrior look for second-city site, then third city-site, and see how close your neighboring civs are to those sites. Get your first settler out around turn 35 or so and the second one out by around turn 60. Ideally, you can use your first 2 or 3 cities to block off a bit of territory for your 4th city and add it when you have time. As for tech, particularly if you have luxuries that need calendar, pottery/writing/ calendar/theology is pretty good. Get your national college built ASAP, when you have only 2 or 3 cities. Detour for archery if barbs are a problem or mining if you have something great like gold or silver. Social policies: Take the whole tradition tree. Develop luxuries to trade as early as possible. Ideally, trade with any warmongers on your doorstep, to make them less hostile. As for tech after national college--I'd say head for education if things are shaping up peacefully, the middle of the tech tree if you are having financial trouble, and the bottom of the tech tree if it looks like war is coming soon. Note: Unless you are playing Ramses, pretty much forget about ancient/classical wonders. The only one I go for regularly is Mausoleum of H, if I have lots of stone or marble, as the AI doesn't seem to prioritize that one much.

8. RedRover57

RedRover57 Chieftain

Benchmarks I usually aim for (not always possible) are:

Four cities settled around T60-70 (if the land permits)
    NC before T85
    Education before T110
    Universities up and staffed before T150 (requires the pop to handle this - at least 10+ pop in each city)
    500+ beakers/turn by T200 (requires public schools, and observatories where possible)
    After that everything pretty much falls into place

Map situational of course. Obviously these benchmarks will be difficult to achieve if you are forced to spam early units to defend against a rampaging Shaka.