1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Generic Poll about issues that players are concerned about...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Craterus22, Oct 29, 2005.

?

What issues do you think need work? (select multiple)

Poll closed Nov 5, 2005.
  1. Game crash issues

41 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. Video artifact issues

28 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Please lower graphic card req below 64mb

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. Provide option to lower graphics settings even lower

18 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. Primitive Units vs Modern Units (spear v tank, bow v gunship)

27 vote(s)
    25.7%
  6. Civilopedia - needs more words!!!

68 vote(s)
    64.8%
  7. Unique Units need balancing

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  8. Early game units need balancing

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Middle game units need balancing

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. Late game units need balancing

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  11. Hall of Fame needs to be improved

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  12. AI needs improvement - city placement

12 vote(s)
    11.4%
  13. AI needs improvement - diplomacy

11 vote(s)
    10.5%
  14. AI needs improvement - ground war

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  15. AI needs improvement - navy war

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  16. AI needs improvement - air war

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  17. AI needs improvement - trade issues

11 vote(s)
    10.5%
  18. Advisors need improvement

41 vote(s)
    39.0%
  19. Multiplayer interface issues

10 vote(s)
    9.5%
  20. Other

17 vote(s)
    16.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Craterus22

Craterus22 Chieftain

Please vote on issues that you feel need work... select multiples if you think they are of significant concern

Select other and reply with a new issue that you would like me to add to the next poll...

This poll is limited to 7 days... if people have more issues I will put them in the next poll and drop out the lowest ones in this poll.

Note - I don't have game yet (gathered the concerns that I have seen reading the boards and some generic questions)- I am doing this as a service to all you folks that already have the game and people considering buying the game... vote! then get back to the fun (if you are having fun)...

2. Craterus22

Craterus22 Chieftain

bumping for more votes - please respond if you vote other to let me know what other type of issues may be out there...

3. mastertyguy

mastertyguy I'm tired!

Are we really talking about end-game balance? Geesh, you're faster than me at this game!

4. Craterus22

Craterus22 Chieftain

Well I had read some complaints about balance and I thought it would be fair to put a number of balance options in the poll...

The rest of you all (I assume), were playing all weekend... feel free to vote.

5. Craterus22

Craterus22 Chieftain

6. arcan

arcan Chieftain

game crash, civilopedia and other, ie the palace!

7. guspasho

guspasho Chieftain

My two cents:

Out of the options given, I'd say game crashes and Civopedia. The game crashes appear to be random and with the long load times it takes a long time to get back up and running. Plus, the game doesn't auto-save every turn, so if it happens late in the game you could have lost a lot of time of gameplay. I'd really like to what causes it and see it fixed. I heard someone complain about memory leaks. Is that the issue?

But barring that, the game is very cool. I'm very impressed with it over Civ III. I always felt that the UI in III was terriblly clunky. Non-standard, not-so-intuitive interfaces (which remain in IV) and general sloppiness (why can't I get this damn science slider on 60%? No, not 50%! Not 70%!)

Being absolutely brand new to the game I find the Civopedia extremely frustrating. You can tell there was a lot of work put into the encyclopedic entries on historical background but there is scarcely any information about game mechanics. I think I can find more information in Sid's tips when I mouseover something. Tiles and resource modifiers are especially lacking, I still don't have a clear idea what provides what and what tile improvement is best. The game highlights cottages all the time but I know that, on a lot of those tiles it wants me to turn into cottages, that can't be the best improvement. Should I tear down all those forests? I don't think so.

8. Craterus22

Craterus22 Chieftain

9. lawine

lawine Chieftain

i want more civpedia stuff. i love reading about history and stuff. not enough in it as it is.

10. ejdacanay

ejdacanay Chieftain

religionnnnn, civ, crashes, but religion MOST

11. Wodan

Wodan Chieftain

What I'd like to see more of are game-navigational things. For example, no matter where you are, to be able to alt-right click (or whatever) on something to pull up the civilopedia on it.

I've experienced the crashing a little, but after I started quitting all other TSRs it hasn't happened. Regardless, it hasn't been a huge headache for me. I just restart and load the last save.

As far as the poll goes, I think every single one of the "balance" options is way premature. I'm in the middle of my 3rd game. There's no way I'm qualified to judge game balance of specific units or strategies. For example, the discussion on the Jaguar unit... I'd want to get another dozen games under my belt before I even begin to consider those kind of things. And, even then, I'd want to talk about it with others to see if there's some strategy I've missed, before jumping the gun and say I think it's unbalanced.

All that said, I very much appreciated how Blizzard came out with Brood War (expansion for Starcraft) a couple years ago and tweaked the utility of certain units & strategies (e.g., you add another building which makes a understrength strategy more viable). Plus, they modded the strength of a unit or two, via official version updates. It'd be nice if Firaxis did both of these things too.

Wodan

12. Craterus22

Craterus22 Chieftain

13. upstart

upstart Chieftain

good thread, hopefully someone from firaxis is watching this one.
    i voted for AI, Civilopedia, and Advisors, in that order.

14. BlueStar

BlueStar Chieftain

I am in middle of my first game-I have the blak map but I'm playing anyway-I can see the landscape off to the east-but not where I am-anyway I'm goofing around with it anyway-I dont know that much anyway-but the civopedia definitly needs help-when you want info yow want it quickly-its like they decided to get us ready for a switch from words to pictograms-:crazyeye:

15. meowsqueak

meowsqueak Chieftain

Hmmm, the civpedia will become less useful the more you play. The AI can be fixed later. The crashes, however, will not diminish unless fixed. Voting the civpedia as the most concerning issue is worrying.

16. upstart

upstart Chieftain

you shouldnt worry about the crashes being fixed. the first priority in patching any game is fixing bugs. actually the first 2-3 patches(unless they fix em all in the first one) will probably be 99% bug squashing. this is because people will stop buying the game because of bugs, more people wont buy the game because of any small added additions-its better for the bottom line and sales. so you shouldnt worry.

what people worry about is firaxis only fixing bugs with the patches, and not fixing IMHO broken things like the civilopedia. and for alot of ppl, the civilopedia has become a standard thing that we continue to use and look at for yrs so hopefully firaxis does take the time to make it more useful and helpful.

17. Craterus22

Craterus22 Chieftain

I would think that people voted on it - because it was clearly deficient and easily fixed

---------

Well its over - 105 votes total... I am really shocked at the results. With all the complaints about the game the one thing I was most worried about was the AI... the fact that people did not take the opportunity to bash in mass (via votes) the AI is a real positive for the game. At least for me.

Secondly the game unit balancing seemed to survive the voting fairly strong...

Game crash issues 39.05%
    expected to be high - hopefully addressed soon

Video artifact issues 26.67%
    Unexpectedly high - related to unexpected hardware requirements

Provide option to lower graphics settings even lower 17.14%
    Interesting that people are interested in options to lower graphics? Yes?

Primitive Units vs Modern Units (spear v tank, bow v gunship) 25.71%
    The only large percentage concerning game unit balance - surprised that beta testers still insist that this was fixed.

Civilopedia - needs more words!!! 64.76%
    This shocked me most of all - if anything was right in Civ3 - it was the implimentation of the civilopedia

AI needs improvement - city placement 11.43%
    AI needs improvement - diplomacy 10.48%
    AI needs improvement - trade issues 10.48%

Most AI choices were low percentages - but these three are the highest... I have seen complaints even from Sullla regarding city placement, so I am hopeful that it will be addressed in later patches/mods.

Advisors need improvement 39.05%
    Advisors are a good idea - I hope if they continue to include them in the game that they will dedicate a few minutes to straighten out the recommendations that they give (based on previous version of the game and complaints read on this forum)

Still hoping to hear about lowered graphics options(and hoping to borrow a friends game to see if it will work on my computer before purchasing it myself).