1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Genghis Khan vs. Genghis Khan

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by fmlizard2, Aug 21, 2011.

1. fmlizard2

fmlizard2 Prince

Wish I had a screenshot (playing with a Mac keyboard but on a Windows boot camp instance - no print screen button) but a couple of times I have been gifted a Khan from a CS as a Civ other than Mongolia. This is a known and rather common occurrence.

What is funny is that one of the Khan names is Genghis Khan. So you can wind up with Genghis Khan bravely leading your forces into battle with...Genghis Khan. :)

Anyone else had this one?

2. The A.K.T

The A.K.T Warlord

Yea i tryed that too. I had been at war with Genghis khan a courple and suddenly citystate gifted my a khan.

3. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

4. OmegaKabob

OmegaKabob Le Just Derpin' Around ~

That khan is a traitor to his own people :D

5. fmlizard2

fmlizard2 Prince

Thanks for the help...the issue for me is that I am playing the game in Windows (due to how far behind the Mac side is on patches) but am still using a Mac keyboard. Therefore OS X conventions won't work in Windows and I don't have the key on my keyboard to do it in Windows.

6. Misterboy

Misterboy Modern Major General

I don't use a Mac, but I am sure that Steam allows you to choose a screen capture key. In windows you use Shift-Tab to get the Steam overlay. Somewhere in there (not hard to find) is where you can view screenshots taken and adjust the key you want to use. You can use any key you want.

I'd assume that the Mac implementation of Steam is the same?

7. pspboy7

pspboy7 Prince

I get CS gifted khans all the time, no matter what civ I play hehe. It's sounds weird, but I think it adds flavor to the game rather than always getting just a GG.

8. SemperFi2382

SemperFi2382 Mitten Marauder

In a recent Hot Seat game, my Wife got gifted "Genghis Khan" the same turn she found Genghis Khan. :lol:

However, I have also gotten a "Genghis Khan" myself while playing as a different civ. I figured since I had killed off the Mongols, he had fled to the CS after proclaiming his defeat, who then later turned him over to me.

9. qemist

qemist Prince

Everyone seems to think this is amusing but really it is just another aspect of the game that is broken.

10. Junuxx

Junuxx Emperor

Nothing 'broken' about this. There is no way in which a minor flavor text flaw like this impairs the mechanics, the conceptual soundness of the game.

It's not very nice and polished, agreed, but broken is something quite different.

11. wobuffet

wobuffet Barbarian

Do gifted Khans (if you're not Mongolia) grant the healing bonus?

If not, you're right; "broken" is too strong.

12. qemist

qemist Prince

It breaks verisimilitude and highlifhts the fact that there is something missing from the game. The personal names of GP are just so much decoration when they should be meaningful unit identifiers.

13. SemperFi2382

SemperFi2382 Mitten Marauder

How is it broken to get a Khan that is randomly named Genghis out of a free Great Person? The fact I have only had it happen to me once ever, and my wife once ever (that I know of) is simply not a big deal. I have personally gotten more Great Merchants from CSs than anything else, but again that is simply observed behavior.

So, for a mechanic that is supposed to generate a "random" GP/GG, which is rarely generating someone that might randomly be chosen as a civ leader works just fine. I mean, is it not broken if it generates "Kublai" instead?

Furthermore, a CS can (rarely) gift a UU from a civ that is not your own, so why wouldn't it randomly gift a Unique GG from a civ that is not your own?

I think you are just stretching to find a reason to further dislike Civ5 more than you already do. There are portions of the game that need some cleanup, but calling the game "broken" for a mechanic that works as intended at this stage is simply not one of them. Maybe it is not up to "your" standards, but most games are rarely ever up to "my" standards, but that does not make a game "broken".

I play Civ5 and enjoy it. My wife plays Civ5 and enjoys it. There are plenty of people that play Civ5 and enjoy it. I am sorry you are not one of them, but I am quite done with people calling everything broken because they did not get a flashy version of Civ4.

14. Becomedeath

Becomedeath The Destroyer

I've had this happen on the rare occasions I follow Patronage.

I wouldn't say it's broken, it's giving you a great person just as it said it would. The fact that it's giving you what ordinarily would be a unique unit isn't a big deal.

You can gift unique units to city states, so why not the other way around?

People are too quick to cry about the sky falling in when something that benefits them turns up. Khans are indeed powerful, but as you can grant a promotion to a regular unit that does the same thing, to suddenly start crying "broken" is just whining for the sake of whining, something that seems to be alarmingly common these days.

It appears that no amount of modifers can get real life happiness out of the red.

15. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I don't really think it's indicative of brokenness. It is a little bit of an oddity that this can happen, but I don't anything wrong with the idea of UUs as possible gifts. In fact, it's probably a good idea! Militaristic city state 'mercenaries' should probably be rather unique.

16. peddroelm

peddroelm King

I was playing Korea once and was gifted a Jaguar from an allied military city state :)...

17. qemist

qemist Prince

"Broken" may be too strong, but it breaks verisimilitude.

18. fmlizard2

fmlizard2 Prince

I like the idea of gifted Khans. Makes Patronage an even stronger track. I would say I get one at least 1/2 of the games I enact that policy. Sometimes I even get a unit I would never otherwise get to see, like a free Janissary.

It isn't "broken", but they should probably put a little "if" statement in the next patch that says if you aren't Mongolia, don't name the Khan "Genghis Khan"

19. the oob

the oob Retired PTBS host

Has anyone ever seen a case where two generals have the same name?

20. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

It's definitely wrong. Where does the CS get the Khan from? THat's meant to be a unique unit for Mongolia. Do militaristic city-states grant you civilization-specific units as well?