1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Geography Quizz

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LAnkou, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Okay let's put it this way. I consider Saint-Cloud (92) to be a neighbourhood of Paris, France. This alone makes it more important than some rural place lost somewhere not that far from the Canadian border. ;)

2. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

Springfield, Ireland beat them all for the moment

A usefull link:
    The most Common Place in the US

It changes quite a bit the order i gave (no Berlin, less Manchester)

3. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

ah Fairview.... Little known fact: I'm the King of Fairview.

4. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

There are some interesting town names in Costa Rica: Philadelphia, Berlin, Grecia (Greece), Atenas (Athens), Mexico, San Jose ( Of course, the important one ;) )

BTW Which one is the real Springfield ? (You know, from the Simpsons?)

5. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

First off, half way between Chicago and Canada is sucky description of it because it's quite West of Chicago. Second, just because it's some forgotten portion of a great city doesn't mean it's great in itself, a pimple on the king's ass is not as important as a squire. St. Cloud is a pretty important regional center in Minnesota and even has little suburbs! That makes it more important then some crappy forgotten neighborhood.

6. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
    They made a point of not saying which state it's in.

7. Marla_Singer

What is more important ? Harlem, the district in the North of Manhattan, or Haarlem, the Dutch city of 200,000 people?

The bridge of Saint-Cloud alone is crossed by hundreds of thousands of cars each day. I have very few doubts that Saint-Cloud, the municipality at the west of Paris is clearly known by a lot more people than the small town of St. Cloud, MN. And this even if the farmers around buy their agricultural material there.

8. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

I wonder how often Middletown comes up in the US. There are two in New Jersey and at least one in New York. And I knew that Bayonne was in New Jersey. I wonder if that makes me special.

And Haarlem is more important than Harlem.

9. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

What is wrong with the Canadian border? We are richer than the French! Not to mention a lot nicer. And a lot less rude compared to Parisians. We could almost say that the quality of people is directly proportional to distance from Paris. :p

*Obnoxious French accent* Your little village is *crap* < (insert better word here)! You silly uncultured Americans with your foul American cheese! If I wanted to see animals gorging from a trough I would go to a barn, not some smelly diner in a town full of fatties! I would rather eat my poodle's poop than eat one of your "cheeseburgers"! *Spits dramatically*

10. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

Well, Saint Cloud (92) is more than a crappy forgotten neighborhood, it's a historic(al) place. (there's a royal Castle, some turfing place, and many other things. Every French people have heard of St Cloud 92), but i don't know any of the different St Cloud in the US

All i have to say is that if you Wiki ST Cloud, you get to the disambiguation page and the French One is above, whereas the one you're talking about is the among the american ones. However, the French one is Wiki/Saint_Cloud, whereas yours is Wiki/ST_Cloud_Minnesota

If you google it in english, Yours is first and apart from the wikipedia page, it appears on page 2.
    If you google it in french, ST Cloud 92 is the first but yours can be found on the first page too.

Conclusion: stop the childfight about which one is the most important. Neither are (or both). just not for the same person.

11. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

Well, the trouble with the canadian border is that it's too far from the mexican border. :D .both should be the same!!! :lol:

Since i'm almost a parisian, i feel a little insulted by your last statement. :aargh: :thumbsdown: :ar15: But i know you just respond to Marla, and you didn't mean it.

getting american and cheese side by side in the same sentence makes me sick....:vomit:

12. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

:) I hope you do know I was kidding. I generally have a history of posting pro-French things on these boards.

Though in my experience, Europeans I meet who come to Canada complain about the "metros", complain about the urban sprawl, and complain about the food.... yet they just don't ever leave. I ask them why, and they say, "well, people here are so... so... friendly compared to the Dutch/Danish/Germans/French back home. AND you can live in a big city and yet still have endless, barely touched wilderness just out your back door."

13. Marla_Singer

Sorry, I didn't mean that to be rude. The thing is that there are 8 million people living in the Paris banlieue. Unfortunately, as it is divided in 300 small municipalities of 2 sq. mi each, none has a large enough population to be considered significant. I'm sorry but Paris suburbs deserve more considerations. They are just great places.

Just as an example, here's a picture showing the south of Courbevoie (80,000 people), Puteaux (50,000 people), Suresnes (40,000 people) and Saint-Cloud (30,000 people):

Would you describe that pictures as showing four small towns?

14. Perfection

Harlem has more then 200,000 people.

St. Cloud ain't no farming town. And a bridge where people pass by desn't make the place worthwhile. Besides St. Cloud has it's fair share of interstate highways.

This is just rambling French arrogance.

15. Perfection

We know about the stupid French municipality system, and that's the thing, while Paris as a whole may well be more important then St. Cloud that doesn't mean that some random crappy part is more important.

16. MOTH

MOTH Emperor

Maine has lots of foreign named towns:
    Athens, Belfast, Belgrade, Berlin, Bremen, Bristol, Calais, Cambridge, Carthage, China, and Poland just to start.

17. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
    Upstate New York is a hotbed of classical names: Greece, Rome, Egypt, Palmyra, Syracuse, Ithica, and a whole lot of others I suddenly can't remember.

18. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

Am I the only one that doesn't take Perfection seriously? I really don't understand why the French posters here are taking him seriously.

19. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

I know, its hilarious reading how they try to make him "reason". :lol:

20. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

well, i may understand why he is serious. But if there is sarcasm in his posts, i don't get it.

Furthermore, there is only one french posters taking him too seriously and that's Marla!!!