1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] George Floyd and protesting while black

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Estebonrober, May 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

A lot of it isn't what's said but how.

2. Anysense

Anysense King

If you want people to be nice to you then ought to make an effort to be at least polite. I was as rude with you as you were with, that's all. Although, now you are descending to the level so low that conversation meets a deadend. Really, what am I supposed to say to you? I can only answer that stream of incoherent threats and accusations with a shrug.

And speaking of people who 'crawled out of cesspool sites', where have you come from and what is your purpose here? You don't seem to be inetersted in Civilization very much.

3. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Disinterested Observer Moderator

Moderator Action: I would like to remind everyone that this is an RD thread. Please curb the insults.

4. rah

rah Deity Supporter

To me, that name kind of does. But that's a personal feeling, and I don't expect everyone to feel the same.

5. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

LOL...on your left is a thing showing postcount, so the answer to "where I cam from" is apparently right here.

As to my interest in civilization, we have a thread about what games we are currently playing. Feel free to check through that for the last time I played Civ...it wasn't long ago.

And by who. If I'm out protesting in the street tomorrow and someone I've never met says "check your privilege" I'm gonna take a look around at the location and suggest that their head must be up their butt. That doesn't change the facts, which are that white privilege exists, particularly in the USA, and that I am indeed white.

6. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Have you been out protesting? We haven't heard from many here that have. Mine was like protest lite since it was in the suburbs so not any fear of police brutality and not so crowded that I could still practice reasonable distancing. Being 65, diabetic, and smoked for 40 years puts me in the group that probably shouldn't catch it.

El_Machinae likes this.
  7. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Yeah being lectured about it and attempted guilt trips just gonna run people up the wrong way.

8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Yeah it's pretty low key here too. Stood around for a bit down at city hall just to remind the county supervisors that we are here and no happier with the LASD than anybody else. City contracts law enforcement with the sheriff's department and that contract has to go through regular renewal negotiations so the reminder is always a good thing. The most interesting thing was really joining the "go outside with a flashlight and stand for 8:46" because it was an opportunity to see which neighbors stand where, rather than the anonymity of 'going to protest.'

9. rah

rah Deity Supporter

That's the problem with masks. Necessary but it kind of changes things.

10. Anysense

Anysense King

Pointing to "Shadowy Fringe of the Candy Industry" is like showing middle thinger. And sorry, but I can't be bothered with looking thorough 45 thousand messages and every thread you ever visited.

Does anyone really believe that these protests are going to achieve anything? So far they only succeeded in provoking a lot more police brutality. I don't think much about that accountability thing either. I mean you can put a muzzle on a rabid dog an tie it up, but what is the point? If too many policemen abuse their power instead of performing their duty, you need to replace them. Creating Police 2 to contol Police 1 is just mad.

11. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

But all accomplishments are assisted by unearned privilege? Benefits compound. That's why we are so grateful for them.

I might be wrong, but I suspect you're under estimating how much benefit you've gotten from things that you didn't do.

I'm also skeptical, mind. But they are obviously happening because previous discussion wasn't sufficient. So if you're going to recommend an alternative method of escalating progress, you're going to need to be proactive, not just reactive

You might be getting a different Newsfeed, everyone is. But as the news starts to tell more stories about peaceful protesters along with police backing down at the right time successfully, we will be seeing more opportunity for discussion and change

12. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

The very reason that you think the police can shrug it all off means that something needs to change... real change.

More police brutality as reaction will only fuel a perceived necessity to deal with that unconstitutional arrogance.

Gorbles, El_Machinae and Synsensa like this.
  13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Let me try this a bit slower.

45,000 posts here suggests that I didn't just emerge from some scum pond.

It suggests that this is what could be referred to as my "home forum."

Get it?

Okay, moving on.

You suggested I had not shown enough interest in Civilization to belong on a Civ site, so I told you where you could get information on the matter instead of talking out your butt. I did not expect you to take me up on it. I expected you to just accept that since I had provided easy means of verification that matter would just be closed satisfactorily.

"Shadowy fringe of the candy industry" and "Quad B (short for 'Boston Baked Bean Bezos')" are an inside joke that people who are regulars here may remember, or might not. If any of them want to ask about it they know how and where. You have a whole long way to go before you are in that circle, and you are proceeding the wrong direction.

In conclusion...trust me, if you get to the point where I am showing you the middle finger it won't be subtle.

Cloud_Strife and rah like this.
  14. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

White privilege disappears when everyone is white

Ability is largely just an accident of birth

Were the outcomes? I'd say his circumstances were pretty damn good.

One can earn their way to 'comfortably off' while another may be born that way (and in so many different ways with skin color just one), the latter is privileged and the former will let you know the difference even if they were born with talent.

if its unearned it aint an accomplishment

15. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

What do the outcomes have to do with anything? You think, during the sixties, "yeah I live with my grandmother, my dad bowed out to Africa" was an advantage? C'mon man, I know I'm brutalizing some alt-righters and you are trying to be their sympathetic ear, but be realistic.

16. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Do you think Obama had any advantages over you? The outcome says yes.

17. Arwon

Arwon

My wife went out to this one on Friday, masked up like most of the crowd of course. I had a work deadline so stayed in.

rah likes this.
  18. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

An accomplishment is the sum of the outcomes, and benefits compound.
    Maybe my experience in science allows me to recognize how we stand on the work that other people have done. Or how much of the outcome is determined by things we never decided.

Royce Gracie didn't influence to which family he was born or whether he was born male. But he worked hard in one of the best MMA families in the world, and he accomplished a lot in the field of Mixed Martial Arts.

Barack Obama is a naturally good-looking man, and he worked to maintain his looks. And his looks are part of what allowed him to leverage his charisma. It's a sum of earned and unearned things.

Estebonrober likes this.
  19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

No it does not. The outcome says he worked hard at some really hard goals. I didn't have the same goals, and maybe I didn't work as hard, That has no more to do with original circumstances than Rah's comparable success does.

You are feeding two things here:

One is the flawed perception that when someone says "white privilege exists" they are trying to insult Rah and deny his accomplishments. Feeding that is annoying.

The second is the flawed perception that somehow "the only way a black man could become anything is if it was handed to him." Feeding that is disgusting, and I think you should really examine why you would do that.

20. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/1/21277013/police-reform-policies-systemic-racism-george-floyd

There are no federal standards for police officers. Federal lawmakers could establish such guidelines, allowing states to treat them as the bare minimum or even expand on them.

States could also individually up their licensing requirements for police. For example, barbers in Florida as of 2016 were required under state law to have more training than police: Barbers need to log 1,200 hours, while cops need 770. It’s just one state, but it exemplifies how poor the standards can be for police licensing across the US.

I'm fighting for defunding of riot gear and assault gear. A national licensing system similar to other professions. A national prosecuting office so local prosecutors are not having to go after local boys.

Considering every take you have made thus far I doubt you are actually open to debate, you seem more like you just want more of a voice for Fox News hot takes. Which is fine. Whatever. Just don't expect people who suffer under those type policies or have a thorough understanding of what those polices do to treat you nicely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.