1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

German help needed!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mirc, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Fantasy Warlord

What Bavarian movies??? I mean, yeah, they make movies in München, but I thought they were all Hochdeutsch? Never seen a Bavarian movie with subtitles..

BTW, the reason southern german dialects are still used is quite different: they are the ones who were reasonably similar to Hochdeutsch, so as to be still (mostly) intelligible. It was the northern ones (Plattdeutsch) that were literally incomprehensible to the rest of Germany, so they died on the vine after unification.At least, that's what I was taught in school. :old:

3. Thorbal

Thorbal not enough ram!

Well, I still speak Platt :). Most just don´t use it outside their home, and it is still (or again) being taught at school (although optional). I always use it to confuse the Freiburgians here. I don´t understand them, they don´t understand me :D.

4. Dragonlord

Give them a taste of their own medicine! :goodjob:

You know, of course, that Schwaben and Badenser don't get along, either ... so be sure we'll be cheering you along all the way! :lol:

5. Grisu

I learned that when I referred to a part of my wife's family (from around Heidelberg) as Schwaben - Bad Idea :ack: (the swiss generally used 'Schwaben' to describe any germans...)

6. holy king

holy king Deity

7. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Doesn't the BR make television movies. I don't know, I just assumed. Or I can refer to any of the "news shows" on daytime television like taff or extra or whatever, they frequently subtitle when they are interviewing some old lady/chap and especially often if those are bavarian ;-)

8. Dragonlord

Yes, of course they do - but I've never seen subtitles used when they are aired in Germany.
    With individual interviews with hard-core dialect speakers - yes, you're right, I've seen such too, though not only Bavarian.

9. Grisu

I thought maybe you meant stuff like Heidi, Heida ...:mischief: though I admit they probably don't have too many dialogues, so subtitles might not be needed ;)

10. Dragonlord

Well, of course, if you're going to pick one ethnic group to represent Germany, Schwaben are a good choice.... :cooool:

11. TheJ0K3R

TheJ0K3R Warlord

Well actually i need help too. :p i will travel to Mainz next summer.But i don't know the way. :p

12. Dragonlord

Google maps? A travel agency? :D

13. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

Is it true that the only reason German is somewhat unified as a language is because of Martin Luther and his Bible?

14. Gigaz

Gigaz civoholic

Luther almost splitted Germany in two parts. The peasants couldn't read anyway by that time. Luther might've been a part but I'd give more credits for that to Goethe, the Grimm brothers and the school reforms in the 19th century.

15. holy king

holy king Deity

i think the unification of germany was more important. :p

16. mitsho

mitsho Deity

It probably has more to do with the fact that Swabia is just North of Switzerland ;-). Actually, the two people refer to each other as Sauschwaben or Kuhschweizer respectively, that's a real sign of friendship ;-)

17. Thorbal

Thorbal not enough ram!

18. uppi

uppi Deity

Not the only reason, but Luther's bible was the start of a unified written German language. He indeed had a huge impact on the German language.

EDIT: I can understand both, the Bairisch and the Plattdeutsch version :cool:
    But unfortunately I cannot speak either without making a fool out of myself :(

19. Harvin87

Harvin87 The Youth

Since when is German perfectly readable for normal people? .. I mean, how much has the language changed since let say 18th century?

20. scherbchen

scherbchen well that can´t be good

well Luther's influence is, as far as I have been told, that it provided a unified-ish (not really unified, to tell you the truth, he picked one variety) spelling and grammar and his vessel was considered to be somewhat important at the time.

the irony, as far as I can perceive it, is that German, while being influenced by Romance languages and English (which is sort of an ironic twist) has never really had troubles with spelling. using "ss" or "s" instead of "ß" is not an issue, honestly.

some grammatical nuances (a Bavarian will never say "gestern trank ich ein Bier" but will only say "gestern hab ich ein Bier getrunken") are only apparent once somebody points them out to you.

all the rest is merely pronounciation. saxonians will pronounce the initial vowel in Ofen more closed and less rounded than most other German speakers.