1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

German help needed!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mirc, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

Thanks!! :beer:

@Godwynn: I just got called by a secretary from a music school earlier today, telling me all the requirements for a teaching job in Germany, so I can confirm that in general you shouldn't need any kind of paper to prove your language proficiency unless of course, like uppi said, you're trying to do something that specifically requires a very good knowledge of the language, like being a German language teacher for example. :) If a normal teaching job does not require it, I'd be surprised if you needed such a document for most other jobs. However, it's always better to obtain it if you have the time, money and patience to do it, because I think that if you want to live in Germany, at some point, you will need it sooner or later anyway, and it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Wow, the last days have been incredibly fruitful for "my relationship with Germany" :p If I hadn't gotten this job (well it's not fully settled yet, but chances are looking good), I would have been forced to do "immigrant jobs" to support myself, since after a month I can confirm that Duesseldorf is WAY too expensive for anyone who's not from Western Europe, the US or certain Arab countries. :p

2. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear: I can press SHIFT + ", then a vowel, which gets ü/ö or Ü/Ö, or even ë/Ë and ï/Ï, which is used in Dutch. (But I guess it depends on the keyboard and setting, which in my case is Dutch/[American-]English. I myself wouldn't know how to get the Swedish "o with slash".) Alternatively you can use ALT - 129 for ü or ALT - 132 for ä, ALT - 148 for ö, ALT - 142 for Ä in English keyboard setting.)

3. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

Would anyone care to proofread my Referat? It is about Ludwig van Beethoven, for those interested!

It is only one page long, and it is god-awful. I can feel it. Luckily it needs to be done by October 30th. So there will be plenty of time to review it (you're gonna need it, trust me.)

Any takers? :D :D

EDIT: Also, it is purposely in the present perfect, since it will be a verbal presentation.

4. holy king

holy king Deity

5. kalif

kalif am start

never ever trust an ösi again... :p

first mandatory lesson for a german. pm, if you like.

6. Harvin87

Harvin87 The Youth

I would like to read your Referat... I also have one myself about Das Kaiserreich ... also one page long hehe... maybe we could exchange Referats hehe :)

7. holy king

holy king Deity

ösi? well, i could have been born a piefke, so i choose to view the glass half full.

8. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

If I wanted to say "I have watched Tagesschau."

Would I use zusehen or ansehen? de.wiktionary has that they both mean "watched"

9. ori

ori Repair Guy Retired Moderator

ansehen is better when it comes to TV shows - anschauen is often used as well - so "Ich habe die Tagesschau angeschaut/angesehen" would be what you want. Zusehen is more when watching a live event - e.g. Ich habe bei dem Fußballspiel zugesehen - I watched the soccer game (as in I was at the game), while Ich habe (mir) das Fußballspiel angesehen - I watched the soccer game (on TV).

10. scherbchen

scherbchen well that can´t be good

eh? I would say "Ich habe die Tagesschau gesehen". sans les prefixes. but in the end it would be a weird sentence to utter to somebody. it's kind of like saying that you did your homework. yes I did watch the Tagesschau.

some alternatives:

"gestern hab ich die Tagesschau gesehen (und.....)" - yesterday I saw the TS and....

"Ich habe grade die TS gesehen (und...)" - I just finished watching the TS and....

"Ich schau grad die TS und da...." - I am watching the TS and then....

etc

11. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

I have my second Aufsatz due on Monday.

Would anyone care to read over it quickly? It is only 150 words (and doesn't deal with the non-existent, so it should be somewhat normal this time ;) )

12. scherbchen

scherbchen well that can´t be good

pm it to me if you will.

13. Harvin87

Harvin87 The Youth

Meiner Meinung nach....

why is Genitiv? ... could someone explain that? ... I don't understand why is genitiv.

:)

14. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

Actually I was just about to ask about that very peculiarity. Why am I supposed to use Genitive after that? Am I always supposed to do it? Or how? I mean it's just a conclusion I drew from reading various books in German, upon seeing how all the authors always seem to do it - I've never heard anyone talk about the rules surrounding this. Although it seems to happen only with indefinite articles... or doesn't it? I have no idea how this works.

In fact I have quite a lot of questions about the seemingly random Genitive that shows up in German. What's up with "Eines Tages"? Is it part of a larger group of time-related terms that require the Genitive? Or is it just an exception, a phrase that is simply used as it is?

And what's up with the Genitive in "one of the..." (like "Er is ein der besten Something etc etc")? I mean... okay, it sounds pretty natural to me when I've got the definite article there, like in the partial sentence I wrote above, but sometimes it's not, and it's just a termination (-er, because it's always plural) added to the adjective that's connected to the noun... Can't think of a proper example (exactly because I haven't mastered the rules and thus, don't know how to build it), but I hope you understand what I mean.

So to summarize the first point, how would I say:
    "He is, in my opinion, one of the best teachers in the world."
    "My opinion about this kind of things is that they (really) don't matter."
    "What is your opinion about this?"
    "This is my opinion about the plan you showed me: (etc)"

I'm just trying to see how it is supposed to behave when followed by definite, indefinite articles, pronouns, etc. Trying to get the jest of how it works.

15. mitsho

mitsho Deity

The genitiv is a peculiar case in German. It was used for nearly everything in the past, but has been in decline ever since. So, in "older" (modern) German, you will find much more Genitiv (as usual, I don't have a funny example at hand, but I will look for one). However, the Genitiv and the Akkusativ are often interchangeable that's why nowadays you mostly find the Akkusativ.

As to your examples, my guess would be that they are shortenings of special phrases.

Meiner Meinung nach = Wenn es nach meiner Meinung ginge, würde ich = "nach etwas gehen" verlangt Genitiv.

And Mircs examples:
    Er ist meiner Meinung nach einer der besten Lehrer der Welt.
    Meine Meinung über solche Sachen ist, dass sie nicht wirklich relevant sind.
    Was ist ihre/deine/eure Meinung darüber/über dies?
    Meine Meinung über den von Ihnen/dir vorgestellten Plan (ist folgende):

If you are interested in special things about the German language and are already a bit further (as you certainly are, Mirc), go check out "Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod". It's a book by a German journalist who writes about this stuff. The book is actually I think a collection of columns/newspapers commentaries.

And btw. that would have been a funy phrase with a Genitiv.

16. Harvin87

Harvin87 The Youth

Hehe.. I have the game, and funny because I brought it into my school and now they are using it themselves during lessons. ;)

17. mitsho

mitsho Deity

game? You mean book, right?

18. Harvin87

Harvin87 The Youth

19. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

I need a... slightly different German help, if anyone has the time to do it. It should take less than 2 minutes really. :)

Here's the story: an extremely hot girl that I know has been flirting with me on the Internet, since she's away right now and it's the only way for me to talk to her. We've been talking only in German, although her English is pretty much as good as a non-native can get. I was making some jokes and just trying to answer her messages with funny and playful answers, and she seemed to play along for quite a while, but the last message she sent to me sounds, to me at least, extremely sarcastic and mocking. I would like to know if you think she is actually sarcastic and actually making fun of me, or if I'm just insane. :p I'm not comfortable with posting the conversation publicly, so if anyone is willing just to read a few lines of text, I'd be glad to do it via PM. I know there's no way to be 100% sure of sarcasm, or lack thereof, for that matter, but a native can certainly feel the "fine nuances" a lot better than me.

20. holy king

holy king Deity

i'll try my best.