German localization fix

Piruparka

Prince
Hi, I'm considering creating a fix for the sometimes quite sloppy German translation, in some cases it's even WRONG. Problem is, I have no clue about modding. So I could go into the files and just change the passages that are wrong, but I'd rather like to build it that way that other (German speaking) players can use it as well.

Could anybody help me on how to get started with a text fix mod for German localization?

Okay, I'm one step further. Luckily, all German text strings are in ONE FILE. So my mod only needs to replace that ONE FILE. I'm done with all changes, I just need someone to pls tell me how to create the mod and publish it.

manually or using modbuddy ?

Tbh, I don't care. The file is ready, all I want is to get it done as a real mod that can be downloaded from the Workshop.

modinfo then, in a subfolder in Mods with the file you've edited.
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Mod id="6c796cb3-cb77-4a8f-8490-a619668df4d7">
    <Properties>
        <Name>your mod name</Name>
        <Teaser>short description</Teaser>
        <Description>long dscription</Description>
        <Authors>your name</Authors>
    </Properties>

<InGameActions>
        <UpdateText id="Translation">
                <File>YourFile.xml</File>
        </UpdateText>
    </InGameActions>

<Files>
        <File>YourFile.xml</File>
    </Files>
</Mod>

What's the syntax in the file you're editing :<Replace> or <Row> tags ?

If it's <Row></Row> it must be changed to <Replace></Replace>

Thank you very much for your time. Tbh, I don't understand what you are talking about. I just took a file from the original files and edited it. That's all. Now I would like that file to be available as a mod.

Then you'll have to look at mods to know how to make mods, as Firaxis "forgot" to provide us with any kind of documentation.

The .modinfo file is found in all mods, it's the file telling the game how/when to load your new files.

Just create a new file with the name of your mod (in a subfolder of "..\Documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\" with the same name) and the extension .modinfo and copy the code in my previous post, edit it to fit your mod's and files name then save it.

If you have <Row></Row> tags in your XML file it tells the game "add something new", which won't work because the base files are loaded first, what you want to do is replacing something in the game, that's why you'll have to use <Replace></Replace> tags instead (which tell the game "add or replace this")

Here's an example mod for re-writing the game's text. I just grabbed the first text definition from the game's German Language localization file. You can also just use one file and state the same filename for both the
Code:
  <FrontEndActions>
    <UpdateText id="ExampleText_FrontEnd">
      <File>FrontEndText.xml</File>
    </UpdateText>
  </FrontEndActions>
and the
Code:
  <InGameActions>
    <UpdateText id="ExampleText_InGame">
      <File>InGameText.xml</File>
    </UpdateText>
  </InGameActions>
Instead of using two different filenames as I have done.

Attachments

• ExampleText.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 43
Top Bottom