German Offensive

ice2k4

Emperor
Well, if anyone (which I doubt) has looked much at the Triumvirate thread, I brought up the discussion about German war goals. And of course the possibility of an offensive came up. Within the next 20-30 turns, an offensive actually doesnt look like such a bad idea. However we must begin to plan now for it. I would like the citizens opinion on this. In a day or two I will psot an opinion poll as well.

Oldbus said:
Although I am SoW I worry that I'm not certain about what the war aims should be. Partly this is because I see the post of SoW to lead in managing any war and defence and all the units and logistics. I see my job is to tell everyone how I think it is and what I think will be and let the people decide to war or not. I think this is what our CoL was aiming for.

The problem as I see it is that we can't crush Germany, so if we continue the war a city is the obvious target. Hamburg is a bit of a nightmare to get to. Dortmund is fairly lightly defended, but is only worth razing. This would be quite feasible - epsecially with robboo's suggestion of a southward party. The rest of the cities apart from Berlin are too far south.

That leaves Berlin. It would be a nice capture. However, can we do it? I reckon 15-20 is the minimum we need before we can attack. If we go into full military mode by then to produce replacements for 5-8 turns we might pull it off. However, we will lose a *lot* of units, leaving us quite weak - and there are no guarantees we will capture it. It is a risky plan.

However, the citizens seem to be in favour, so that is what I've planned for. I would like to play another 10 turns, see how we look and then get citizen approval via a poll for an attack plan.

This thread is here to determine if the citizens really do "favor" it.

I think we should. It would eliminate alot of their power and stop them from thinking they can bully us. We need catpults for it. i thinks it's something like 60%. W/ chitzen Ictha. We would aslo not only need to capture it but hold on to it. It might be isolated by German culture for a few turns so maybe even 20+ units would be needed in the long run.

Cats are the key LOTS of cats.
A stack of 8-10 cats with a few 5-7 maces( spears- medic for protection) will take it in 1-2 turns. Build enought cats...and you can take thw whole of Germany with a handful of other units. ITs not pretty..you will have to sacrifice alot of cats( boy that sounds bad..but we are pagans). YOu never build anotehr non cat unit once you start almost pure cat production to replace the sacrificed ones and only build a few to replace the dead units. Horses and others units...around to help kill wondering units between cities and protect the cat stack

The concept is you suicide cats until you are atttack success is higher than 75%-80% with your units. Then attack with them if you have enough units to take it otherwise you wasted the collateral damage. Its a gutsy ruthless form of fighting..something we dont appear to have the guts to do...we are playing not to lose...its time to play like we have nothing to lose.

Yep, the cat stack is a good idea, we'll just need enough spears to protect it from horse, crossbows to protect it from mace, and THEN hold Berlin after we take it. It really would make things easier if we could knock out their horse and iron.

I havent played civ4 in ages (i got the game, but i also got world of warcraft) but from what i understand building new citys is alot harder on the economy than in civ3, infact the people have been discussing not buliding an additional city due to the deficet, Can we afford the up keep of capturing german citys?

burn them.. :O

I suspect keeping Berlin would be worthwhile (though I haven't done the maths). I would raze acity like Dortmund though.

Yeh, but razing too much will giver Russia a chance to increase its power and territory. We should take Berlin and if possible raze only a city ortwo. This will cripple the Germans, and then we would have Russia to worry about.

Top Bottom