1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

German release version support english?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by mattpilot, Aug 8, 2010.

1. mattpilot

mattpilot Warlord

If i buy the german version (as i live in germany), will i have the option of choosing the english language during gameplay?

Some games that you buy in germany restrict the language to german and it drives me absolutely nuts (like with arma2). So before i preorder from a german distributor, i'd like positive comfirmation that i won't be restricted to the german language. While a bit more expensive, if i have to, i'll order it from the UK instead.

Thanks for some input :)

2. ValugaTheLord

ValugaTheLord Chieftain

In steam you can change to all available languages in any game...

So yea.

3. mattpilot

mattpilot Warlord

Well i prefer hardcopy over that Steam POS. So i'm curious to know if some smartypants thought it is a good idea to restrict languages in different regions.

So its either pre-order from amazon.de or amazon.co.uk

:/

4. ValugaTheLord

ValugaTheLord Chieftain

Sorry.. but Hardcopy is Steam POS. :\

If you buy Hardcopy you will have to create Steam Acc and activate your game into Steam.

Only difference is that you will have backup copy always with you. (with still can be made within steam)

5. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

This isn't strictly confirmed given that German rules/legislation may be involved. However, it's highly likely since the product is also available for digital download and they indicated that the download and the DVD give exactly the same. In fact, if you buy a retail key, you should be able to go into steam and just download the whole thing without bothering with what's on the DVD.

If you look on Amazon.de it says it's in German, but it doesn't confirm it's in English as well. Amazon.de for instance also offers "Civilization III UK Import" that distinctly advertises it as being English.

Buying a game from e.g. play.com or cdwow.net would certainly guarantee that you get a version that has English. (See my signature for webshops).

Having said all that, my bet is that there isn't a "German only" or "Italian only" version. Using Amazon.de or BOL.de should be safe.

6. mattpilot

mattpilot Warlord

Oh gawd, are you serious? So i the game can only be run if Steam runs in teh background? :/

Well if thats the case, might as well just order it from steam then >:/

@Mercade

Thanks for the info - Its usually dependent on the publishers who either buy the rights to publish a game in a certain language or in a certain region. To my regret, i found out that ArmA2 had all the language options there, but it was locked to german. Was hoping to avoid that with Civ5:). But if it all has to run through steam anyway, i guess that pretty much narrows the purchasing options down to one ....

7. 12agnar0k

12agnar0k Emperor

How are people not realising that Steam is mandatory yet ><

8. Ituralde

Ituralde Warlord

Mercade is absolutely correct. Since Civ V will require Steam the language you buy it in doesn't matter at all. Which I theoretically really like about Steam, that you can just change the language of any game you have installed via a right-click and a little bit of updating, become in conjunction with German laws the thing I HATE most about Steam. For if the game was cut (zensiert) or banned (indiziert) the publishers will sometimes prohibit Steam from offering the original language in Germany even if you bought the english version from the UK you sometimes can't even activate the game.
    With the violence level of Civ I see zero chance of that happening with Civ V though. I think you're good to go!