1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

German SA bug?

Discussion in 'Bug Tracking' started by Txurce, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Txurce

Txurce Deity

I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but...

In my last two games, the Germans' barb-acquisition ability ceased working after a while. Is there a time or unit limit to their SA? In my current game I noticed this on turn 97, by which time I had racked up well over 20 barb units.

2. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

Do any error messages appear in the console? In my games as Bismark I've played all the way through to the end, probably acquiring hundreds of barbarians. The only explanation I can think of is a bug in the vanilla Map.Rand function. Everything else is straightforward:

Code:
    if lostUnit then
      local leaderType = GameInfo.Leaders[wonPlayer:GetLeaderType()].Type
      local traitType = GameInfo.Leader_Traits("LeaderType ='" .. leaderType .. "'")().TraitType
      local barbCapture = GameInfo.Traits[traitType].BarbarianCapturePercent
      if lostPlayer:IsBarbarian() and barbCapture >= (1 + Map.Rand(99, "BL - General: DoEndCombatLeaderBonuses - barbCapture")) then
        logger:Debug(wonPlayer:GetName().." captured barbarian "..lostUnit:GetName())
        local plot = lostUnit:GetPlot()
        wonPlayer:InitUnit( GameInfo.Units[lostUnit:GetUnitType()].ID,  plot:GetX(), plot:GetY() );
      end
    end
    If you could attach a savegame and your mods folder, that might help.

3. Txurce

Txurce Deity

The attached save file is of a game I just started, where I failed to capture the first brute I killed. (I've had it happen this early once before.) I'm attaching the save of the turn before, so you can kill him yourself.

4. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Thal,

The barb is dead in the save I sent you. Here's the one of the turn before, as well as the start save.

5. Txurce

Txurce Deity

I started another German game, and quit converting barbs on turn 44. This confirms to me that the bug appears erratically, and more often than not.

6. Thalassicus

Hopefully I'll have some free time in the next few days to sit down and figure out what's causing this in your games. I haven't been spending much time debugging lately because I'm back from my break and on a roll with implementing new content. :)

7. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Good on both counts!

8. Thalassicus

Which mods did you have active for this save?

9. Txurce

Txurce Deity

I'm not positive, but almost certainly Info Addict and Custom Notifications. It would be one or both of those, or none at all.

Is there a possibility that the German bug is also due to multiple versions in the folder?

10. Thalassicus

I'm not sure. I'm unable to load the save to test, game crashes in the way it typically does if a mod it uses is not enabled.

11. Txurce

Txurce Deity

That's weird. I never use anything except those two (or less). I'll put the game I'm playing aside and start another German game, looking for trouble.

12. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Custom Notifications and Info Addict are active.

The game failed to capture a barb from the start. The save should be a turn or so before - send the spearman north.

13. QDI

QDI Chieftain

Just to tell you that I have he same bug with 7.0.

Mods: InfoAddict, ModList, GreatPersonInformation, CivWillard and CSD

QDI

14. Thalassicus

This barbarian?. It worked okay for me, but I noticed you had multiple versions of the mod installed, and I moved the extra versions out of the mods folder. Could you try it with only the most recent version installed? I move old stuff to a Mods - Archive folder I created in the same place as the regular Mods folder.

Do you have multiple versions installed QDI?

Attached Files:

15. Txurce

Txurce Deity

You don't mean my last saves, right?

16. Thalassicus

I loaded the mods folder you provided and noticed there were multiple copies of TBC in it. I removed those, loaded your savegame, and captured the barbarian. ModBuddy overrides the existing mod when it builds the project, so I never have multiple copies of the mod installed, and this might be why I haven't encountered some of the problems you've experienced.

• Production panel didn't open in 7.0 (confirmed cause)
    • Unable to capture barbarians with Germany (likely)
    • Unusually large surplus populations from AIs (likely)

17. Txurce

Txurce Deity

This is very weird. I just downloaded the Mods upload you used, and found TBC's as early as v6.3. But I erased all of them a few days ago when you told me to - and I got rid of v6.3 weeks ago. I am 99% sure that I sent you v7.0 only. Is there any way this could be happening? I just emptied my Downloads folder - could not having done so earlier have had something to do with it? Not with multiple TBC's being in my Mod folder, but with it 1) affecting my games and/or 2) sending you more than I intended.

By the way, my current game may be on its way to mucho AI pop, and I only have v7.0 installed (I just checked). But tomorrow I will try the German again, just to check.

18. Thalassicus

That's rather strange. I haven't ever encountered a situation where files are unaccounted for like that.

Something else I hadn't mentioned it in this thread specifically, but you're not using strategic view in combat, right?

19. QDI

QDI Chieftain

I also have only 7.0 installed. I always delete the last version before downloading a new one.

QDI

20. Thalassicus

Do any errors appear in the tuner when you defeat a barbarian?