German UA question

redwings1340

Emperor
Does the German UA not take effect until you settle your capital?

I'm trying to do the "Play as Germany and delete your starting settler" challenge, but so far I am 0/6 on barbarian conversions. Have I just been ridiculously unlucky, or is there something I'm missing here that makes this challenge actually impossible?

I wish there was a way I could try this as the ottomans, but's it's kinda hard to kill that first trireme with only a warrior :/

deleting the settler is bad. if it is allowed to keep it just not settling a city of your own, you can use it lure out a barb from a camp which gives your warrior the chance to capture the first camp without resistance.

deleting the settler is bad. if it is allowed to keep it just not settling a city of your own, you can use it lure out a barb from a camp which gives your warrior the chance to capture the first camp without resistance.

I was using the settler to explore and find ruins for when I was planning to eventually take a city by force. Your strategy won't work though, because the UA is only for barbarian units inside encampments, so it won't work with undefended encampments.

I was using the settler to explore and find ruins for when I was planning to eventually take a city by force. Your strategy won't work though, because the UA is only for barbarian units inside encampments, so it won't work with undefended encampments.

No, you can gain a unit from an empty encampment. It happens a lot when you've got Ranged units emptying the camp first.

No, you can gain a unit from an empty encampment. It happens a lot when you've got Ranged units emptying the camp first.

Yes, I can confirm this.

As for the challenge, in fairness, you should do that challenge on warlord level or something: at the easiest possible difficulty but the ruins don't give you free worker or settler. That way, the combat bonus against barbs is higher (at 50% on warlord) and you would have a better chance of completing the challenge. Then, hopefully grab a weapon upgrade and culture ruin to grab honor opener. Doing this challenge on deity, let alone with raging barbs, is simply improbable, bordering on impossible.

I need to find an excuse to get the achievements for winning on the easiest difficulties (I think I managed to Warlord already with something, unfortunately, so I'll have to take the risk of a free settler).

Do you have to turn on complete kills in order to disband your settler at the beginning?

So I just tried this. I conquered the Byzantines (Eastern Roman Empire) starting with the Battle of Adrianople to make that my capital (nice and appropriate).

After that, though, I wasn't really sure if I saw the point of continuing to victory.

So I just tried this. I conquered the Byzantines (Eastern Roman Empire) starting with the Battle of Adrianople to make that my capital (nice and appropriate).

After that, though, I wasn't really sure if I saw the point of continuing to victory.

If I can make a request? Go all the way for a Domination victory. I'd be interested to know if it's possible to win if Berlin is never actually founded...

Well, I didn't quite follow that rule. I still had my settler (or more accurately, I got it back from a barbarian), so I settled it. So I had Berlin, but it wasn't my capital - Adrianople was (even though it had my palace, I still had to build a courthouse).

So I'm sure it would have been possible, but I didn't literally do it. Hell, if you do a duel map, you can probably win by only conquering their capital and never having a city before that point.

+1 confirm. But there is a catch though. If the previous defender of the encampment just went out of the encampment for a while, maybe to kill one of your units or capture settlers/workers, and then you captured the encampment, you won't be able to trigger the UA. I had this happen to me 4 times, so maybe it's just RNG at work.

It's actually pretty difficult on Warlord. You're down like 50 turns by the time you amass 3-4 ish warriors, and it's impossible to take a capital with just 3-4 warriors, so you have to settle for a small 1-2 pop city without a palace, which takes a long time to get off the ground.

You do get a palace as soon as you take the city, fwiw.

You probably want to use a slower game speed, which will help your UA be more valuable.

It's actually pretty difficult on Warlord. You're down like 50 turns by the time you amass 3-4 ish warriors, and it's impossible to take a capital with just 3-4 warriors, so you have to settle for a small 1-2 pop city without a palace, which takes a long time to get off the ground.

I remember taking Gao once playing as Germany, just with warriors/brutes - but it was pretty bloody and I'm sure I lost several before I managed it. Also it was in Vanilla I think. Anyway, I wasn't doing this challenge, I just had a lot of barbs to deal with - and the army upkeep was a killer so I didn't care that they were getting killed.

Hehe I love how "play as a barbarian" is starting to spread :D

It is very fun. I almost finished the challenge on warlord difficulty, marathon, but after destroying 2 of the three civs I was playing with,(I was on a duel sized map but with the extra AIs)my remaining forces were easily crushed by alexander and some of his companion cavalry. It was depressing.

I remember taking Gao once playing as Germany, just with warriors/brutes - but it was pretty bloody and I'm sure I lost several before I managed it. Also it was in Vanilla I think. Anyway, I wasn't doing this challenge, I just had a lot of barbs to deal with - and the army upkeep was a killer so I didn't care that they were getting killed.

Interestingly, you don't pay army upkeep until your first city.

Interestingly, you don't pay army upkeep until your first city.

I didn't know that, probably because I've never gone more than 2 turns without founding. But it makes that challenge more do-able then

Top Bottom