1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Germanic Tribes

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by EverNoob, Nov 27, 2010.

1. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

After coming back from vacation I didn't feel like finishing my America game anymore :p So here's a german game instead!

Settings are Immortal, Pangaea, standard settings.

Berlin

In 4000 BC, a germanic tribe discovered the secrets of agriculture. Abandoning their nomadic way of life they settled in a fertile valley and founded the first Germanic village: Berlin. So impressed (with themselves!) at bringing forth crops from the earth, they embarked on a quest to share their new discovery with other barbarian tribes...through blood and might.

Spoiler City screen of Berlin :

Build order: Monument, Worker, Library
    Tech order: Pottery, Writing

2. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

The Greek

Beyond the valley live a strange people. Their men dress in robes like women, and spend their days talking like women too. Leading them is a boy-king named Alexander who makes annoying hand gestures when addressing us. They seem like very bad warriors, but would make very good slaves.

Spoiler Greek lands :

3. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

Unification

At a time when most civilizations were taming horses to ride to war or forging weapons from iron ore, the Germans developped a unique form of warfare. Having observed the Greek hoplites fight with long spears in tight formations, the ingenious Germans improved upon it even further. The landsknecht wielded long pikes that dwarfed even the longest spears of the hoplites and abandoned their shields in favour of tighter formations.

By 975 BC, Berlin had unified most of the barbarian tribes under it's rule and began to greedily look to the east at Greece.

Spoiler :

Got Civil Service at turn 59 with a GS. The army will be composed of landsknecht and archers.

By now I have 6 landsknechte, 2 archers, my original warrior and 1 scout. I haven't built a single settler yet.

Went down the honour tree and got Warrior Code for the GG, eventually going to get Military Tradition.

I know the Greek have a few swordsmen and hoplites. The plan is to pillage the iron mines and take Athens first.

4. LordTC

LordTC Warlord

I was really excited to see someone doing a Germanic tribes story given how they have been getting a lot of flack as a civ that shouldn't be included. I was hoping you'd be able to do some more historic names though given the "Germanic tribes" title rather than the big cities of modern Germany. Anyways have fun with it.

5. Arexander

Arexander The obvious lurker

I always like to read about a new civilization in CiV. :D

I just hope I'll get the game sometime. :)

6. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

I have to admit that german history seems awfully complicated and confuses me alot. But I was planning to incorporate the tribes in another way since, as you will see, I won't founding many cities.

7. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

The Fall of Greece

The fall of Greece to the united barbarians tribes sent a shockwave through the ancient world. Alexander had been acknowledged to be the greatest military genius of his age but was outwitted by the barbarian general Cao Cao. Recognizing the Greeks' heavy reliance on iron to produce weapons, Cao Cao attacked the iron mines near Athens. Historians agree that the combination of obsolete Hoplite tactics and shortage of weapons were the main reasons behind the swift Greek defeat.

By the end of the war, Alexander was exiled to the frigid land of Argos. And while the Greek people had been permitted to live and serve their new masters, they would henceforth play a negligible role in world affairs. Civilizations began to whisper Cao Cao's name in fear...

Spoiler :

Military overview at turn 91. I've only produced/purchased myself maybe 1/2 of my army, the rest being barbarian conversions and 1 gift from a CS. The Landsknechte are either purchased for 240:gold: or upgraded from converted barb spearmen practically for free at 10:gold:.

I'm still restricting myself to Berlin as my sole german city to gain SPs faster (14 turns until my 4th SP) and to allow barb spawning.

8. 19Mellon73

19Mellon73 Chieftain

9. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

lurker's comment: Looks interesting *Subscribes*

10. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

Trouble Brews in the West...

In the northeast live a proud warrior tribe, the Japanese. They follow the Way of the Warrior very similar to our warrior code. Currently they are embroiled in a losing war against the Siamese.

According to our scouts, the Japanese are losing ground every day. Their foot soldiers are no match for the Siamese horsemen and archers despite their dedication to the warrior's way of life. With the defeat of the Greeks, our warrios grow restless in these times of peace. Many are looking westward, dreaming of gold and glory...

Spoiler Summary :

Easily conquered Geneva (culture, hostile, furs), and used a GS to tech Machinery for Crossbowmen.

Currently friends with Budapest (military, gems, iron) and allied with Bucharest (culture, incense). There are 2 other military CS nearby, Dublin and Tyre.

My army is going to be mainly Landsknechte and Crossbowmen for quite awhile. Planning to add Catapults and Trebuchets in the mix once I get 2 new :hammers: oriented cities going.

Since I have 20+ iron but barely use any, I'm trading it away to Japan, Rome and England. I'm trying to focus my trade with Japan to foster good relations. I also signed a Pact of Secrecy with Japan against Siam.

The Romans are situated directly north, Siam and Japan northeast. I don't know where England is yet. Scorewise I'm near the bottom, not counting Greece :D but I got the #1 ranked army...and #1 literacy!

I definitely need to intervene in the Siam-Japan war. If Siam rolls over Japan they're going to be impossible to deal with once they get Elephants. England is an issue too, but there's nothing I can do about it right now.

11. Bluebird

Bluebird Chieftain

This looks like it's going somewhere. I'll keep an eye on it.

12. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

Going West

With nothing left for them in the east, the germanic tribes travelled westward to Siamese lands seeking glory, fame, and riches. Their first stop on the long journey was the allied city state of Tyre where they were joined by a band of Tyean soldiers also seeking fame and fortune in battle.

The King of Siam, aware of the fearsome reputation the barbarians had earned, had posted scouts outside his borders to alert him of any dangers from the east. But confident in the superiority of his horsemen, he taunted the germans.

Siamese expectations of swift victory similar to battles against Japan were quickly dispelled. To their horror, Landsknechte tore apart horsemen and archers were no match for german crossbows. Among the germanic tribes, the most feared were the Visigoths. Insatiable in battle their unrelenting bloodthirst became legendary. Thus began a golden age conquest...

Spoiler Summary :

I split my army into 2, each with a GG. One is specialized for open terrain and sent to Nagoya then Muang Saluang. The other for rough terrain sent through the jungle to Nara then Tokyo.

Tech-wise, Siam is coded to research Chivalry for elephants. Until then their military is largely horsemen, archers and the rare pikemen. Which means my army of Landsknechte and Crossbows is assured victory.

Signed a pact of Secrecy with Japan against England.

In the meantime I started a golden age and got Philanthropy (moving on to Scholasticism). I'm currently allied with 2 military CS and planning for a 3rd soon. With 3 military CS allies, I can save :hammers: not producing units and concentrate on setting up my 2 :hammers:-oriented cities.

13. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

As the germanic tribes closed onto the Siamese capital of Sukhotai, they encountered beasts the likes of which they had never seen before. Captured prisoners called them "elephants". Our warriors initially feared them, but it was quickly discovered that our Landsknechte could withstand their lumbering charge. Although killing them still proved quite a challenge as it took a combined assault to bring them down.

With their elephants destroyed, nothing could stop us plundering the riches of Sukhotai. The Siamese might not make good warriors, but they can sure build stuff. The majestic Angkor Wat and Stonehenge are proof that if you spend your time building wonders instead of an army, you're asking to be conquered.

With the conquest of Sukhotai, the germanic tribes lost an interest in war with the Siamese. There's no point of beating a dead horse. Eyes now turned upon our new neighbours, the English...

Spoiler Summary :

Sukhotai has the Angkor Wat and Stonehenge, so therefore has a *huge* border. Since I've been pupetting everything, the only cities capable of producing units are all the way in the east. Sukhotai would be more useful annexed.

My short term goal is to get Rifling so I can upgrade all my Landsknechte. I'm also going to get the Professional Army SP for that, since upgrading Landsknechte to Riflemen is quite expensive (approx. 350:gold: per upgrade)

I'm currently in my period of vulnerability, where my Landsknechte have become outdated until I get Rifling. I have Crossbows, Trebs and Longswords, but in relatively small numbers. I'm most vulnerable at my northern border with Japan, but I'm pretty sure they won't attack me since I went to war with them against the Siamese.

In hindsight I should've just made 1 other production city instead of 2 more since I'm annexing Sukhotai. But oh well.

14. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

If you leave the civs you beat up alone for long enough your can start all over again.

15. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

(subscription post)

16. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

(subbed)

17. Mosher

Mosher Mushroom dad

Nice game you have!
    I can't wait till I get Civ5.

18. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

like the story, havent posted in civ V for a while, im suprised to find the same people here as in the civ 3 story forum.

19. Draknith

Draknith King

Really enjoying the rampage. I've found that going the militeristic route works wonders in CIV V. Have you had any troubles developing to your East with all your forces concentrated in the West?

20. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

I managed to build up a reserve army in the east guarding my border with the Romans. It was mainly acquired from converting leftover barb encampments and gifts from my 3 military CS allies.

The next update is going to be after the holiday season. Happy holidays to everyone!! :)