1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Germanification for RFC Europe

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by El Bogus, Dec 20, 2009.

1. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

@ chips2150

I found a better text for Timber, so you have to do it over. (sorry for the extra work)
    Spoiler :
    [TAB]Timber is a term used to describe wood; either standing or that has been processed for use as material for construction. Uses for timber in the ancient Mediterranean were numerous; uses included ship building, architecture, furniture, fortifications, tools, weapons, fuel, and many more. Proper timber was especially important in ship building and the availability of this wood dictated which nations could build and maintain navies. The need for timber in Greece, Crete, and the Italian Peninsula is thought to have cause severe deforestation in these regions and the need to import suitable timber from other regions. Important source regions for timber in the ancient Mediterranean included Crete, Germania, and Syria.

You also didn't include the slaves text.
    Spoiler :
    [TAB]In the Early Middle Ages, slavery was being slowly replaced by serfdom. In some areas outside of Western Europe, however, slaves were still a vital part of the economy.
    [TAB]In the Viking era starting c. 793, the Norse raiders often captured and enslaved their opponents. In Norway and Iceland the slaves were called Thralls. The thralls were mostly from Western Europe, among them many Franks, Irish and Anglo-Saxons. There is evidence of German and south European slaves as well. The Norse slavery came to an end with the breakthrough of christianity and national laws in the Scandinavian countries.
    [TAB]The Arab world has traded in slaves like many other cultures of the region. It was one of the oldest slave trades, predating the European transatlantic slave trade by hundreds of years. The Arab or Middle Eastern slave trade is thought to have originated with trans-Saharan slavery. The Moors, starting in the 8th century, raided coastal areas of the Mediterranean and Northern European (including British and even as far north as Scandinavian) coastal areas and would carry away sometimes whole villages to the Moorish slave markets on the Barbary Coast.

2. El Bogus

El Bogus Prince

Well, I just translated the files... I wasn't satisfied with e.g. the norse, too. But this is off-topic here, I guess. Besides, a mod can't suit to everyone's taste, but if you want to propose your ideas, do it in the civilizations-thread of RFCE. This is just a thread about translation and not about changing the names at all... ;)

3. chips2150

chips2150 Chieftain

Oh, I didn't see any text about slaves. I will tend to that (and the units) but it'll take some time. Right now I need to prepare for coming exams.

4. El Bogus

El Bogus Prince

Oh, you too? =)

5. Dommi98

Dommi98 Chieftain

I am nearly done with the buildings. Finally...:lol:
    you are getting a bit weird while being concentrated on these pedia entries :crazyeye:

6. El Bogus

El Bogus Prince

Once again my question (especially for my german fellows ;) ): Which translation fits best to the Norse?

• I prefer: "nordisch/Nordmänner", and it's the literal translation of "Norse", BUT: it is prestressed by the Nazi word "nordische Herrenrasse" (Nordic masterrace)
    • then: "skandinavisch/Skandinavier", such people never really existed
    • "wikingisch/Wikinger", but I guess, that's not wanted by the RFCE team :D
    • finally "norwegisch/Norweger" but this excludes the Danish aspect of the Norse
    Any suggestions? I don't want to decide on my own.

7. patkog

patkog Chieftain

I'd suggest Dänemark/Denmark or Wikinger/Vikings

I don't know exactly but should the Vikings represent the Kalmar Union or just the Vikings until the 12th century?

8. El Bogus

El Bogus Prince

Civ names completed! :king: (Except maybe the Norse ;) )
    I think I will start then with the wonders, if noone's already translating them.

Attached Files:

9. Daffy

Daffy Prince

10. Aharon

Aharon Chieftain

How can I play in english if I have the german version of the game? None of the texts were displayed correctly, which was kind of annoying.

11. Daffy

Daffy Prince

hope it's this easy for you too ;)

12. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

But watch out, not all things are translated into German. All the things that are standard in the vanilla game and vanilla RFC are translated, but the rest isn't. (Apart from some civilopedia texts and dynamic civ names). If you want to translate, go ahead.

13. Daffy

Daffy Prince

Which would be the problem ;)
    he is currently playing the game in german (which is the standard setting if you bought the game in germany) and want's to switch to english so that he can read all those nice tooltips and such :)

14. Zipzapzup

Zipzapzup Warlord

The last time i checked this mod, it was just in a very early stage so its very nice to see it playable by now. Since i want to contribute something i've added the german translation for the crusades to my posting. Perhaps some other germans can check it.

Attached Files:

15. Daffy

Daffy Prince

I noticed a few typos and corrected them, but whats with ö, ä, ü & ß ?
    sometimes they're normal and sometimes like -> & # 2 4 6 ; would be ö, which actually shows up in the post when i type it in correctly :) no clue whatsoever here :)
    There was also one phrasing that I didn't like too much, but since I can't think of a better one atm, I'll leave it. Figured I'd wait until someone says what to do about ö ä ü anyway, change in oe ae ue?

the mentioned phrase:

Do not interfere with the Divine's will, money is the root of all evil.
    Behindert nicht Gottes Willen, Geld ist die Wurzel alles Bösen.

Lasst uns nicht im Willen Gottes einmischen, Geld ist die Wurzel allen Übels.
    maybe?

16. Zipzapzup

Zipzapzup Warlord

That thing with ä,ö,ü is real pain. I just used the Ascii-Code because the developer of civilization used them. I don't know if the game can handle our ä,ö,ü but i doubt it.

To that phrase you mentioned, i didn't know where this statement occurs in the game because i never saw it. Should it mean, that the crusade answers this phrase to player if he trys to take over the crusade or is it a possibility you can choose when you are asked if you want to take over?

The phrase you suggested sounds a bit strange to me, because its "sich einmischen" and would be "Lasst uns uns nicht in Gottes Willen einmischen". Then i would preferer "Mischen wir uns nicht in Gottes Willen ein, ...".

17. Daffy

Daffy Prince

The phrase is one of the options you get when a financial takeover of the crusade is available. If you pick that one you decline the takeover. Had it now and then with Venice.
    And about the phrase, you decide. It's your translation :)

Was just looking for the typos and found this.
    <Tag>TXT_KEY_CRUSADE_DECIDE_WEALTH</Tag>
    <English>Take over the Crusade, for it is wealth that moves the world and profit that rules it.</English>
    <French>
    <Text>Prendre en charge la croisade, c'est la richesse qui meut le monde et sans but lucratif qui la dirige.</Text>
    <Gender>Male</Gender>
    <Plural>0</Plural>
    </French>
    <German>
    <Text>hat die Kontrolle &#252;ber den Kreuzug erlangt, denn Reichtum bewegt die Welt und Profit regiert sie.</Text>
    <Gender>Female</Gender>
    <Plural>0</Plural>
    </German>

This one is the option you get when you say yes to the financial takeover.
    Should read something like:

Übernehme die Kontrolle über den Kreuzug, denn Reichtum bewegt die Welt und der Profit regiert sie.

18. Aharon

Aharon Chieftain

@Daffy
    Yes it was, thank you. I didn't know it was this easy in CivIV, I dimly remember it being more of a problem in Civ3 and assumed this hadn't changed.

19. Zipzapzup

Zipzapzup Warlord

Sorry that i resurrecting this thread, but i was bored today and did a lot of localization. With these files implemented it should be possible to play RFC:E in german language, without missing half the entries.

Things that are located:
    - wonders + colonies + buildings + corps
    - units + unittypes
    - eras
    - religion (nearly 80%)
    - terrain
    - civics
    - techs
    - UP

Pedia entries are only cosmetic so i've left them alone, if you want to read about wonders or buildings go for wikipedia. I'll do the UHV in the next few days.

Attached Files:

20. micbic

micbic Optimistic Pessimist

Many thanks! :goodjob: