Germans are over powered

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
The 'beat the barbarians and they join you' combined with the lower maintenance cost on units lets you build up a ridiculous size army early on.

Not complaining here, just saying. Wow. I'm stepping on the other Civs like they're bugs.

Did you expect something else from the powerful Reich? Firaxis is just fatefully recreating history. ;)

Edit: Not to mention that only they can get the Hand-Axe.

So just like real life then? A united Germany always dominates Europe, either militarily, industrially and economically, or like now, politically. Its too strong to do otherwise. At least now they're going for peaceful political hegemony in the form of the EU.

I actually don't really find the UA that useful on Standard Speed. It's 90% Melee units, who needs that many of them? ^^ It's nice for "fake" army-strength, but for real wars? Meh.

On Marathon, it's quite nice actually. Hunting Barb Camps all over the place and getting more and more units to do so leads to insane amounts of gold. ^^

Both the Ottomans UA and especially the reformation belief "Heathen Conversion" tend to produce a whole lot more "free units" than the Germans. Germany only gets on average 2 for every 3 camps. Ottomans on average gets 1 every other barb naval unit they encounter. Heathen Conversion has a 100% chance for every barb unit of every type. This includes settlers the barbs had earlier captured.

Germans are good. I wouldn't say overpowered, though.

Germany (and abuse of their UA combined with heavy Honor) is the only way I can reliably win on Deity (yes, even on Standard speed) so... ya. maybe a bit overpowered. :lol:

Ahhh... no wonder Germany has been so hard to fight in my early game with the `more barbarians` option on. Maybe declaring war so early was not such a good idea... oops.

Ahhh... no wonder Germany has been so hard to fight in my early game with the `more barbarians` option on. Maybe declaring war so early was not such a good idea... oops.

Raging barbarians does not have an effect on the German UA. German UA is for clearing camps, and raging barbarian does not produce more camps -- simply more barbarians FROM the camps.

Raging barbarians does not have an effect on the German UA. German UA is for clearing camps, and raging barbarian does not produce more camps -- simply more barbarians FROM the camps.

It's fascinating the things you can learn in this forum. :)

BTW, I just got a domination victory in 1400 playing as Germany.

They're very powerful in multiplayer but I wouldn't say op, especially on high levels in single player

I actually don't really find the UA that useful on Standard Speed. It's 90% Melee units, who needs that many of them? ^^ It's nice for "fake" army-strength, but for real wars? Meh.

On Marathon, it's quite nice actually. Hunting Barb Camps all over the place and getting more and more units to do so leads to insane amounts of gold. ^^
Even more insane amounts of gold if you play the Songhai. But even if the army is mostly melee still very useful in my opinion as meatshields. Just build some catapults or CBs.

Which is more xp (virtually guaranteeing all units have at least the 30 xp cap from barbs), with Honor more money and culture, and raging makes it harder for everyone else to boot. When I use Germany as a player, Raging Barbarians makes it way easier to steamroll.

I rolled a random leader on a "tilted axis" world because I never tried that map type and got the germans.
It was Wow! *_*

Tilted axis world means the whole northern half in ice. Ice - where nobody settles. I explored the icy north and then had 3-4 Units on recruiting tour through the whole game.
Whenever the honour opener showed me a respawned barb camp they would go there and try to make them join. :) I only ever had to build artillery. In the late game I just collected barb WWI-Infantery and AA-Guns. Sadly I conquered the world before I could get barb mechanised infantry XD

I actually don't really find the UA that useful on Standard Speed. It's 90% Melee units, who needs that many of them?

In the vanilla version, if you researched archery immediately, then a high percentage of barb camps would be occupied by archers and this was a tactic used by some of the top players when going for quick domination victories. So does this not apply when playing BNW?

I agree, but playing low level, marathon with Askia is even more fun, you never have to build a settler, worker, military unit or any infrastructure, you can just concentrate on Wonders. One guy even managed a BC science victory! So Germany are good for a quick low level victory but Askia is without comparison. The key playing under these circumstances is to stop the other Civs from expanding too much, thus allowing the room for barb camps to spawn.

In response to another poster. IMO Raging barbs are only worthwhile at high levels of play or when playing as the Aztecs with the honor policy, I just feel that too much time is being spent healing instead of obtaining the gains that this thread is all about. I don't know anything about the way the game is designed but it seems to me that the quicker we take out a barb camp and move five spaces away, then the faster another camp will spawn.

In the vanilla version, if you researched archery immediately, then a high percentage of barb camps would be occupied by archers and this was a tactic used by some of the top players when going for quick domination victories. So does this not apply when playing BNW?

My understanding is that any land unit a Civ can build can be spawned in barb camps (so as soon as anyone has researched archery, archers can spawn, horseback allows hand axes, if anyone has bronze working spears start popping up, etc.) but it seems pretty random what spawns out of the available options.

I've done a couple dozen BNW marathon Germany games by now and archery units from barb camps are... uncommon.

And I can't say enough great things about Raging Barbs for this style of game... not the least of which is that they mess up the AI (even on Deity) way more than they'll mess you up.

Top Bottom