Germany, how to deal with the Vikings.

DylanAraki

Warlord
Okay so every time I play as Germany the vikings lands a ship with 2 berserker's, of which can kills a fortified longbowman, now what can you do about this because I always put everything I have up against Rome at the start and don't have time to deal with all this , so is there some way you can scare them off or do you have to wait before you can make peace until you can move your guys?

Don't go straight for Rome? I find it's better to sit back and build an army capable of taking Constantinople and Athens before going for Rome (you want to get those two cities fast, before the Turks show up). Keeping a longbowman and an axeman in a city is enough to dissuade the Vikings from attacking it. If you wait for the berserkers to end up on a non-forested tile, then kill them with two of your axemen, the Vikings will usually be willing to discuss peace (though you may have to give them a cheap tech like Horseback Riding and Monotheism as part of the deal).

Yea partly what Sennomulo said. I just finished a game of Germany, completing tech tree in 1820. What I did: Attack France with everything(since they do not yet have good defense) if you play it right then your 2 swordsmand will have gained cityraider 1(2) which will make it much easier to take athens, steal engineering from the dutch and build a few trebuchets with city raider 2(vassalge + barrack) now you take constantinople -> rome.
Concerning the vikings, i never had any real issues with these, I found you can easily make peace with them, besides if you war monger enough then they will want to make peace with you :)

Vikings are really easy to deal with, they can be annoying from beginning, but they usually sucks later on. Here is the tip - if you kill'em some units they usually agree with peace (maybe you pay them 10-30 golds or some old unimportant technology).
Attacking Rome from begging is almost impossible in latest version of the game - you can beat them but you need to have good luck :] I can only agree the attack on Constantinopol is better approach if you want expand quickly (i generated like hunders of games for Germany (trying to have all later wonders for emperor - in some in Constantinopol is guarded only by one or two units, you can beat them without catapults without any problems, but you will lost almost all units, then Byzance collapse and you can in few turns get Athens for free if their garrison disappear).
Best way is probably start with slavery (+ theocracy) and sacrifice some population for extra units (warriors + archers + catapults - are really cheap units + you can upgrade them to axemen/spearmen/longbowmen and built relatively strong army in let's say 10-20 rounds, but your economy and grow will suffer if you didn't do it well).

Top Bottom