1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Germany not strong/aggressive enough?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by TopDog, Oct 30, 2007.

1. TopDog

TopDog Chieftain

I just started playing a monarch 1939 Europe game as the UK and the game isnt really going anywhere. Its 1941 now and the Germans are making no progress in Western Europe, theyve taken Luxemburg and thats it. According to real events, Germany should have taken Paris by mid-1940!

So, is Germany as an AI not strong/aggressive enough?

2. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Germany's a lot stronger on the 36 start. The mod isn't really designed for a 39 start. Yes I know it's an option, but it was never my intention for this time period to be the main focus of the mod.

3. TopDog

TopDog Chieftain

Ahhh I see. As it turns out, however, its now 1943 and theyve taken all of western Europe and are really powerful. That said, i did give them about 20 tanks in the worldbuilder and took away the maginot(sp?) defenses. I think theyre much too powerful (the defenses).

What annoys me most is that they can have 6 tanks lying in a city but do not attack a poorly defended city (2 medium infantry) until theyve got a huge stack of artillery. I know its a good tactic in normal civ4 and AI behaviour is probably really hard to mod but I wish there could be some sort of 'bliztkreig' axis tactic.

Just a thought

4. BillSeurer

BillSeurer Chieftain

There are times when Germany is not aggressive for some reason. For example, when invading Norway they dump like 25 units on Oslo which then sit there almost the entire game even though the Norwegian cities are all but defenseless. Eventually the Norwegian get to Modern Tanks and Modern armor and drive them out. I'll also seen big stacks of tanks just sitting in western Europe, too. If not for the automatic fall of France event I don't know if they would ever get anywhere. And Germany never manages to get anything going versus Russia, either.

This is a huge contrast with the Pacific scenario where the Japanese eventually steamroller everything. Sometimes they seem to delay and they don't bother with the small islands but they do come on strong. I've lost 4 times to the Japanese (in fact, never beaten them) while I've won every time against the Germans.

5. boneys26

boneys26 BTS Play session tester

When I play tested this mod most of my tests were playing as UK 36 start.. if played without the use of worldbuilder germany are strong and they do push forward once they get going, just remember that the start of the war the german AI have alot to take up and get moving but trust me they do get moving I've had stacks of units (yes stacks!) come after my units my para's had a hell of a time as did my bombers but late onto the war germans start to lose steam due to allies gaining stronger units.

I have noticed though and Dale you might know the answer if you open world builder is there anything in the coding that slows the AI down (not in RTW) but civ4/WL/BTS in general It seams like the AI keep up with you without WB but as soon as you give yourself a tech or a few units the AI just drop off even more so at the start of maps you'll have 3/4 cities but the AI will have 1