Germany, Russia, and Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstconsul

Chieftain
Certain European civilizations in ciV have not been implemented appropriately, given their historic tendencies. There are three civilizations that come to mind in this little scheme of mine; Germany, Russia, and Switzerland. Each of these civilizations are tied to each other in integral ways.
Germany is the most broken of the three. Between their irrelevant and inaccurate UA, their not-so-unique landsnecht, and their historically naive Panzer totally misrepresent and cheat Germany. I propose three changes to Germany

1. Replace the panzer with the Stuka dive bomber. Anyone with a cursory knowledge of the battle for the West understands this change. The Stuka epitomizes the true nature of the German successes in the west: tactical bombing coordinated against ground targets. This resulted in these victories, NOT the panzer, which was inferior to french tanks altogether. The Stuka would replace the bomber, lose strength against cities, but have no penalty against ground units. This would make the Stuka further supplement German ground power, which is the locus of their strength.

2. Replace the landsnecht with SOMETHING. I would suggest either a WW1 or WW2 unit. I had thought the Waffen SS would be appropriate, given their combat proficiency and infamy. It would also give the Germans a unique infantry, which I feel no civ deserves more: The German infantry was statistically proven to be superior to those of the allies. The reasons behind this will be cited upon request. I realize this would be a controversial unit, so I have left this open to scrutiny-however, other than this, the plan is airtight.
3. Change the German UA to Prussian Tradition: +25 percent exp. for units, and +2 movement for land units. The Prussian and German armies have always been of superior training and quality. This ability defines this trait more completely than the other trait, specifically because the German army has traditionally been smaller than its adversaries, its training (extra movement/promotions) more than making up the difference.

Russia is very powerful in ciV, so there isn't TOO much room to complain with them. However, Russia has two problems that fortunately aren't difficult to fix.

1. the Russian Winter, which has played a pivotal role in two of the most important periods in Russian History (French and German invasions) is not referenced in civ 5. A simple change, such as making enemies in Russian territory get slower and lose combat strength as they move closer to the capital, would encompass this important aspect of Russian history, and at the same time serve as a unique and useful UA.
2. The next piece of the puzzle rests with the cossack. The Cossack is an accurate and useful UU. However, with the lack of unique tank, precipitated by the removal of the panzer, a more appropriate choice of unique tank becomes a possibility; of course I am speaking of the T34. The T34 was the penultimate tank of WW2. It represents the one obstacle that truly terrified the Germans. Most importantly, no one was ever able to replicate the flawless design of the T34, thus validating as an ideal UU. I envision it as having the attributes of a future cataphract: Better defense, strength, and city attack.

The final piece, which completes the puzzle in question, is switzerland. An enormously important civilization in European history, its exclusion from the game is mind boggling to say the least. I have already thought of exactly how Switzerland should be implemented, short of the leaderhead, whose choice I will lead to my helpful audience :).

1. UA- neutrality: gains bonuses to science, faith, gold when not at war.
Simple but accurate. Their historical policy of neutrality is the inspiration: Swiss Scientific achievments, banking and calvinism were all my inspirations for the bonuses in question, but some more astute swede historians are welcome to tweak this.
2. Swiss Pikemen- instead of the landsnecht, the swiss pikeman, the originator of this idea of unit. its special ability is that you can trade it, like a resource. This simulates their tendency to be utilized as mercenaries.
3. UB- Swiss Bank- extra gold, extra protection against espionage. Simple and straight forward

what do you guys think?

extra xp and plus 2 movement. thats insane. the plus two movement would make artillary already way more OP then it already is.

The Panzer was inferior to French tanks? Learn your history, Germany had the best tanks alongside Russia. Panzer IVs and Vs(Panthers) were unmatched by anything the allies had except for Russia's tanks.

Those were waaay late in the production cycle. And they only built them after they fought the t34.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom