Germany Video

It's not Civ5. Attacking a city-state in early game is going to be viable strategy in Civ6.

Also, you don't have to use all Civ bonuses in a single game.

Yes, but it will still feel weird to attack city state, since I love CSs and their bonuses twice as much as in CiV already :) So my first feeling was negative, but I guess I just need to adjust. Hanse looks interesting, and extra policy slot is great. It will be awesome to use both military cards from the beginning.

Yes, but it will still feel weird to attack city state, since I love CSs and their bonuses twice as much as in CiV already :) So my first feeling was negative, but I guess I just need to adjust. Hanse looks interesting, and extra policy slot is great. It will be awesome to use both military cards from the beginning.

Quill17 liberates a city-state that Egypt had captured @ 21:34:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPoie3io_f0

So no more Beatrix of Burgundy is B5 and co-leads Germany.
Seems like an awesome civ and Frederick looks great. I wonder what crown he is wearing and where they found that sceptre...

I am less than thrilled actually. Ok, bonus military civic is good and fitting. Extra district and Hansa are also very good. But:

1) Bonus to fighting City States. It was extremely situational bonus in Civ V, it will be even more situational bonus in Civ VI, because let's face it - why would you attack a City State if it gives a decent early boost by spending just one envoy, not to mention a monstrous bonus if you manage to get suzerainty. If you have a strong military that you want to use you may as well start fighting another civ. Don't like this bonus at all
2) U-boat. I am appalled. Not a Landsknecht, not a Panzer, not a Dead head hussar, not a Stuka or Bf 109, but a freaking submarine. Traditional land superpower gets a naval unit of highly situational use in the late game. I am frustrated as hell

I am
1. absolutely ecstatic to not have Bismarck again
2. disappointed to have yet another military-flavoured Germany
3. so-so about the submarine. It makes a great deal of sense from a historical PoV.

All of the bonuses fit neat into Germany's and Barbarossa's history. I'm very happy with that. The one exception is the Hansa that should be commercial, not productive and near the ocean... But then again Germany in the last centuries is a very productive country and thus I'm happy with a special industrial district. Maybe the name Hansa was just not the best for it.

What I found interesting about the video is that apparently Aachen is used as the capital city for the German civ, so these also seem to be designed around the leader. This could also have consequences when talking about the possibility of multiple leaders for the same civ, since Aachen would not really make sense as the capital for a more modern leader, so if they did want to have multiple leaders for the same civ, they would also have to have separate city lists for them...

Okay my thoughts:
+Frederick looks amazing :cool: :king:
+The bonus against City-States and extra policy might be neat
+Free Imperial Cities sounds really good
+Hanse also sounds quite nice
-U-Boot is the only bit I'm slightly worried about. If your enemy doesn't have much of a navy this UU isn't going to be very good.

Overall it seems quite nice and I'm looking forward to the red bearded emperor.

I agree with this. Visually, Barabarrossa is one of my favorites yet. Most of the bonuses sound promising, and trampling on city-states shoul be fun:D, but I think you are right about the U-boat. I suppose it should definately be useful if you happen upon Victoria though, or a Denmark Civ in a future DLC (presuming the A.I. for these work correctly:p).

What I found interesting about the video is that apparently Aachen is used as the capital city for the German civ, so these also seem to be designed around the leader. This could also have consequences when talking about the possibility of multiple leaders for the same civ, since Aachen would not really make sense as the capital for a more modern leader, so if they did want to have multiple leaders for the same civ, they would also have to have separate city lists for them...

I see this as possibly being evidence there won't be multiple leaders; the two Spanish leaders on the leader board is perhaps just because a decision has not yet been made.

Keep in mind one useful reason to conquer a City State in this go-round is to wipe out bonuses enemies are getting from them. Definitely don't invest too many envoys in a City State near Germany.

Barbie's character design is REALLY cool looking.

I like the submarine. Actually, I like everything. I may actually play Germany this time, for the first time ever. Lots of solid bonuses. It's hard to say without playing, but this may be the strongest civ we've seen yet.

Yeah, we already saw this with Cleopatra and Alexandria.. eh... Ra'kedet.

I am surprised people are actually liking the visuals of Barbarossa, given that he is the most anachronistic and nothing-like-the-real-guy leader design to date.

For starters, his plate armour wouldn't be invented for 100 years or more after his death. It's like having Napoleon wear a suit and tie. Also, by all accounts he was rather thin.

I am less than thrilled actually. Ok, bonus military civic is good and fitting. Extra district and Hansa are also very good. But:

1) Bonus to fighting City States. It was extremely situational bonus in Civ V, it will be even more situational bonus in Civ VI, because let's face it - why would you attack a City State if it gives a decent early boost by spending just one envoy, not to mention a monstrous bonus if you manage to get suzerainty. If you have a strong military that you want to use you may as well start fighting another civ. Don't like this bonus at all

I also don't like the idea of attacking City States, but to be fair, it seems much less situational to me than in CiV. In CiV, City States were almost always very crappy cities, with mostly bad land and one luxury. In Civ VI they look much better. I randomly opened Marbozir's videos, and check out Hattusa or Preslav. They might be great addition to your empire.

2) U-boat. I am appalled. Not a Landsknecht, not a Panzer, not a Dead head hussar, not a Stuka or Bf 109, but a freaking submarine. Traditional land superpower gets a naval unit of highly situational use in the late game. I am frustrated as hell

as for the UU of Germany, I get the same thought as you. A land UU for Germany is absolutely more representative.

So far, some UU choices are weird to me, e.g. Brazil got a battleship UU:)
Maybe they just want to make some change from previous game

I also don't like the idea of attacking City States, but to be fair, it seems much less situational to me than in CiV. In CiV, City States were almost always very crappy cities, with mostly bad land and one luxury. In Civ VI they look much better. I randomly opened Marbozir's videos, and check out Hattusa or Preslav. They might be great addition to your empire.

Plus, unlike CiV, this is just one of many abilities - in CiV, you only got one and if it was crappy/situation like the Mongols', you were out of luck.

I'm mostly not impressed with any of those abilities, except for the additional military policy which I'm almost certain is going to be what makes him extremely good.

What about the extra District though? Where other civs will have to specialize, Germany's cities will be able to run one extra District than they can. Of course, maybe not every city needs that. But I can definitely forsee other civs struggling to get to 9 Population as fast as possible to start work on a third District, and Germany just being like, meh, did that at Pop 6.

Yay, didn't expect Germanys first look this week. :)

I love that Hanse is in again! Nice to see that it couples commerce and production/resources again, like in CivV.
Bonus policy slot and bonus dixtrict is powerful especially early on I think. No more deciding which district to build in small cities. And some military flexibility even with peaceful governments. (and you can stack some nice military effects with militaristic governments! Oo)

And the bonus against city-state units also works defensivly when your overly diplomatic enemy has allied some city states and attacks with them, you don't have to worry about them so much.

All in all, seems pretty good.

Yeah, it would be interesting to see if the bonus holds against city state units "conscripted" by a player suzerein? I assume it should, right?

I am surprised people are actually liking the visuals of Barbarossa, given that he is the most anachronistic and nothing-like-the-real-guy leader design to date.

For starters, his plate armour wouldn't be invented for 100 years or more after his death. It's like having Napoleon wear a suit and tie. Also, by all accounts he was rather thin.

And he is wearing the wrong crown and scepter. Still looks cool to me.
But please be careful with the word "most" when we have Tomirys and Monty...

When she started with "a warrior until the end" I feared we would again get a war focused Germany, and I dislike the Mongolia style bonus but It's still a very good and well-rounded civ. Barbarossa is conquest focused, but the civ focus is clearly industry.
While I probably won't make much use of the city state combat boost and the late and situational UU, the additional district and Hanse more than make up for it.

A possible additional district in every city.
A unique district which like all unique districts is half-price and gets poduction bonuses from other districts and Commercial Hubs. The wording makes it sound like Commercial Hubs give a higher bonus than other districts.
It will be good German strategy to build a Hanse in every city as your first district, and construct more Commercial Hubs than you would with other civs.

So, essentially Germany is is an industrial and commercial giant with a comparatively minor military bonus and equally suited for conquest and wonder spamming.

Edit: I forgot to add that Barbaross has -anachronisms nonwithstanding- one of the best leader graphics we've seen so far.

Top Bottom