Get free money and win.

Arilian

King
I wanted to offer my friend that I vote for him as a word leader, for money, as I was sure he could not win even with my votes.
Accidentally I offered to vote for myself.
To my suprise he was willing to pay for it (a few gold around 3-400) :)
So I wote for myself for 300 gold. Worth checking if you have a congress anyway, it might give you free money.

If you raze a city, sell its buildings (1/turn) to get some more money, then pillage all field to get some more.

If you want to attack somebody, ask around first - some civ might give you 100-200 gold for what you want to do free.

Any other not very well known tips to get gold?

Captured workers too.

I've only just started to sell buildings in burning cities. Man, you can make some serious money off that. As Mesix said, disbanding captured workers will get you money as well, though you may want to keep some.

I wanted to offer my friend that I vote for him as a word leader, for money, as I was sure he could not win even with my votes.
Accidentally I offered to vote for myself.
To my suprise he was willing to pay for it (a few gold around 3-400) :)
So I wote for myself for 300 gold. Worth checking if you have a congress anyway, it might give you free money.

If you raze a city, sell its buildings (1/turn) to get some more money, then pillage all field to get some more.

If you want to attack somebody, ask around first - some civ might give you 100-200 gold for what you want to do free.

Am I misinterpreting here ?

Are you saying you offered to vote for person X, but actually voted for person Y and person X still paid you because they assumed you were voting for them but you altered your vote and they didn't check hard enough before accepting ?

I am assuming by friend, you mean a human multiplayer opponent, or have I got this completely wrong ?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think he sold his own vote (for himself) to an AI. In other words "Hey Dido I'll vote for myself if you give me 300G". Not sure though.

Yes, as Decker explained :)

WOW, can't believe they did not have a sanity check for that in the code.

I am truly baffled by that. Will have to find time to check for it and rectify it for my own games.

Thanks for pointing it out.

BTW You might want to list that as a bug on 2K forums, or the bug tracker on these forums as it is clear it can't be intended behaviour.

WOW, can't believe they did not have a sanity check for that in the code.
It is not necessarily insane. If you vote for yourself without having a chance to win, you are really just abstaining. Sometimes AI may prefer you abstaining instead of voting for their enemy. Just trying to rationalize, not sure if that is how it really works.

maybe the AI sees this as you strongarming them into a vote. By saying what will you give me for this you are implying that the votes will go towards one of their rivals if they dont pay you to vote for yourself. Seems like complex logic for an AI but itd be all kinds of fun to collect "protection" money from civs who have less votes

Wow... I have over 1.000 hours in c5 (maybe 600 of real gaming, the rest is statistics ;) ) and never thought of that. I feel stupid...
I often sell conquered cities for ~5 gold to hostile/unfriendly 3rd parties to drive a wedge between friends of my enemies, but now it's dawned on me that I do not need to do it with infrastructure intact.

Also, when Attila goes to war, have a horseman or two to pillage every piece of infrastructure he leaves in his wake.

This is an old one, but if you don't do it already, you may want to sell everything you have to the civ you are going to war with in the same turn. They will most likely offer poor prices, yet it's always better than nothing and you get everything back the moment you go to war.

For a side note, there's also a variant of this approach, using which you pave your route to victory with deception. If your enemy spams pikes for the lack of iron, give some to him. Do the same with horses and the moment war breaks out, he'll have a lot of unmaintained units. The penalty is severe and he'll also have less fully capable units.

This is an old one, but if you don't do it already, you may want to sell everything you have to the civ you are going to war with in the same turn. They will most likely offer poor prices, yet it's always better than nothing and you get everything back the moment you go to war.

This does not really work anymore in BnW (only with friends, you you get a huge diplo penetaly)

I haven't tried this in BNW: Have your military unit pillage a hex, then have your worker repair it...have your military unit pillage the same hex, then, once again, have your worker repair it. Rinse and repeat...

I haven't tried this in BNW: Have your military unit pillage a hex, then have your worker repair it...have your military unit pillage the same hex, then, once again, have your worker repair it. Rinse and repeat...

I used that trick to get my first OCC win back in the day. :goodjob: I'm not sure if it still works either.

I love capturing cities, finding civs with happiness problems, and selling them the puppets... especially in exchange for luxes.

I've only just started to sell buildings in burning cities. Man, you can make some serious money off that. As Mesix said, disbanding captured workers will get you money as well, though you may want to keep some.

Um, can I receive a confirmation on this? In my Shoshone game, I captured a several towns simply through revolts. I was trying to figure out a way to sell the buildings but I couldn't find anything. However, some of the cities I captured contained great works, so I moved them back to my own cities. :lol: Once I won my game, I managed to get 409 tourism without internet tech (quadruple this if I had The Internet tech and was Brazil).

I then sold the captured cities for luxury resources rather than gold because most civs hated me simply because the whole world had Order ideology whilst I had Freedom ideology.

Top Bottom