Get into GOTM!

Sid

Observer and Participant
Supporter
OK, some of you have been able to do this for a while, but I thought it would be too complicated. However, I went to the GOTM site and followed the instructions for the 8-9 downloads + the one that Cracker has put in the Mac GOTM forums. Now I'm playing GOTM21!

The purpose of this post is to say that it looked overwhelming at first, but the instructions are very clear (except that a lot of the PC stuff is simply a matter of click and drag for Mac folks).

So, if you want to re-vamp your Civ3 experience, take it from a techno-dumbo, it's worth doing.

Hi Sid:cool: !
I've downloaded so far these folders:gotm16squid, 17spartam,17start1.29,18,19,20small folder, crash,mac(with 6 folders in). Thus 8 folders. And now? What I have to do?
Tao gave me some help, but I'm too newbee..Thanks for help!

Txurce: I'll answer anyway -- it just looked too difficult. But when I followed the step-by-step instructions it worked.

Mike.doc: I had seven folders the first six that you mentioned + the one from the GOTM Mac Forum that was posted by Cracker (see below). Start with16-squid and the instructions are included on each file name (later on they are not, but by then you know what to do).

On my Mac I have a window with the Civ3 folder opened on the left-hand side of the screen and one with the new files on the right. I just work my way through each folder and select, drag and drop the new files to where I'm directed by the instructions (usually a part of the file name). It's important to read each of the ReadMe files in turn. Files are going into the 'Art' folder and the 'units' folder mainly (although there are some sub-divisions -- like Leaderheads and Flics -- that you'll need to access.

I went through 16, 2x17s, 18, 19, 20. There are some SAV games in 19 and 20 to check that your work is OK. Then after you get the Cracker file (mine was: gotm21_start_v129_conquest.zip) follow the instructions for that and get going.

If you want more detail, give me a hoy at s_starr@mac.com.
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/saves/gotm21_Mac.zip

Maybe I'm just a cranky old man. But when the GOTM full install zip files crashed stuffit and the only recourse was to go through all this crap, I decided it wasn't worth it. Now GOTM 21 full install is a Mac-unfriendly exe file.

Maybe I shouldn't let the massive mac indifference from the GOTM organizers (on top of that of firaxis) bother me. But then again, I have a hard time finding time to play civ in the first place, much less slog though all this.

Have fun guys. I'll stick to the vanilla game for now.

rolang, sorry to hear that you've had problems. I must say that I think that cracker and the team at GOTM have gone far beyond mere fandom in their support for Mac civvers. C'mon, you have to admit that we have been well served: cracker has facilitated us being semi-PTW players; Brad Oliver has given us a 1.29 Beta that provides us a form of parity. As a marginalised minority, we are somewhat lucky to have these guys give so much of their time -- altruistically. [Yeah, djb, I know ...]

Also, rolang, if you check out the Mac GOTM forum, there's a link to the GOTM21 Mac-friendly files + an apology for not giing us the link on the GOTM pages.

I have to tell ya, and I know I'm gushing, the new GOTM experience and the new civs and UUs has revitalised my Civ playing, even 'tho I do like vanilla as a flavour.

Top Bottom