1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Get the patch!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by JoAT, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoAT

JoAT Chieftain

[Update: 24 January 2007] Rev B patch is now released, plus a Warlords Rev A patch to bring Warlords up to version 2.08. See this thread for details and discussion of these patches.

[UPDATE: July 29 2006] The full release of this patch is now released. To update your Civ4 to version 1.61 rev A go to the link below, download the file, mount the disk image and run the installer. The file size is 40 MB.

Download Mirrors: MacGameFiles | 3D Downloads

2. galganog

galganog Chieftain

Squuuueee so much faster now!!!! Still No Combat Sounds but I have ambient sounds now, as well as some new building completion sounds!!!

3. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Chieftain

Oh my gosh the difference is amazing on my PowerBook!!! :eek: Intro movies and wonders play without lag!! Animations are fluid!! I hear the sounds of birds and judaism!!

If only I didn't have an inorganic chem test monday...

4. ejday

ejday Chieftain

Haven't even played yet... Just starting up was noticeably faster!

5. bnew

bnew Chieftain

WOW! Gotta say, this is a huge improvement. My processors don't max out at 200% on the MBP as soon as the game loads, and I'm noticing ambient sounds everywhere. Still not much from the units, but definitely better. And scrolling seems to be much improved as well. I quickly loaded a very late game (~1980s) with 5 CPUs and was able to scroll smoothly - not the case before the patch.

Brad & team - I am guessing it took some extra work to get this out by the end of the day on Friday, but thank you! It'll be great to mess with the beta patch over the weekend.

6. Skippy_Kangaroo

Skippy_Kangaroo Prince of Denmark

Oh my!

On my MacBook Pro it means that it only runs at around 100% rather than maxing both cores out. The performance is also significantly improved. I thought it was good before, but now its better.

Haven't paid too much attention to sounds yet.

But, if you have a MacBook Pro, it means that your computer is less likely to melt down to the core of the earth than it was previously. A definite improvement.

7. scriblerus

scriblerus Chieftain

Played my first session last night (that's European Release dates for you) and thought the game was perfectly playable though jerky. Have just downloaded the patch and tried a couple of turns - and can confirm that it's quicker, smoother and noisier. I'd say well done Aspyr for getting a partial solution out so quickly.

:)

2.1 GHz PPC G5, 1.5 GB RAM, ATI X600 128MB.

8. von Tirpitz

von Tirpitz Chieftain

Hurra, the patch is out! Everything works smoother, faster and much more enjoyable on my iMac G5 now. Thanks Aspyr for the quick reaction, but moreover I'd like to thank you for visiting the board and keeping in touch with the community. That is what good costumer support should be like... :)

9. jdevo

jdevo Chieftain

What a difference, the game is actually enjoyable now...

10. glendaadams

glendaadams Chieftain

Glad to hear the beta patch is helping! We did push really hard to get it out for the weekend, even though we knew we had some more sound stuff to work on. It's always nerve-racking when you release a patch, because no matter how much testing you do you won't know how well it works in the real world until its out :)

Glenda
    Aspyr

11. gfeier

gfeier Chieftain

Runs better than before on the MacBook, at least in single-player mode. Glenda, Brad, you might want to try it on a MacBook with at least 1GB RAM - you may be able to move the MacBook over to the "supported" column which should have a very beneficial impact on sales. :goodjob:

12. FOTBarMitzvah

FOTBarMitzvah Chieftain

"Tastes great! Less filling!" This is a HUGE improvement ! I have sounds and MUCH faster movement (units and land panning) movies are playable. Thanks!! Mac specs: iMac G5 1.8 GHz/512MG/GeForce 5200 64MB

13. BoatDriver

BoatDriver Chieftain

The patch has dramatically improved the game's speed on my Powerbook G4 1.67, 1.5G, 10.4.6. However, when playing full screen and using CMD-h to switch to another app briefly and then coming back to CIV 4, Civ 4 is just a black screen with a normal OS cursor. It doesn't crash or anything, but you can't do anything with the app except quit it from the dock.

Hiding and returning to CIV 4 worked fine (albeit slowly) for me pre-patch.

Great job, Aspyr, in responding so quickly with a patch!:goodjob:

14. waltham845

waltham845 lurked in the forum

Wow what a difference a patch makes. Everything works optimally now. Sound ambient, music and everything else works great on the G5. No pegging the CPU any more. Thanks to Brad and Aspyr for getting us a quick nice beta patch.

15. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Please can someone with a compliant system spec download and run the current GOTM start save? I'd like to know whether GOTM can support Mac players. Of course it would be even better if someone can try completing and submit a game :p

I tried and it crashed, but I'm not anywhere near to having a compliant system. I can start up a new game OK, but I don't think I can load a previously saved game at all.

16. waltham845

waltham845 lurked in the forum

Alan,
    It crashed on start up for me right after the first page. Heres the crash log..

Attached Files:

17. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Ha! That's the same error I had. I'll raise it with Brad. Are you able to save one of your own games normally and reload it?

18. galganog

galganog Chieftain

Some problems i am getting are there are buzzing sounds when you zoom in to some terrain as well as no combat sounds. Anyone else having a problem like this?

19. dmichaeln73

dmichaeln73 Chieftain

I Downloaded the patch on my underspec 1.25ghz with Radeon 9000 64mb. Although I only had a couple of minutes to check it out, The improvements are incredible. I loaded a standard map at about 1800AD and it was closer to perfect than i could have ever imagined. No time to check the sound. I will post after I get home and have a chance to play a while.

20. wookitus

wookitus Chieftain

I have a 1.8ghz G5. It runs great now until later in the game when the standard map is full of all of the civilizations. Then it really taxes your system. :nuke:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.