Getting a city state to hurry the hell up and develop thier near by resource

MykC

Warlord
So, is there anyway to influence a CS so that they get their nearby resource in a reasonable time frame? Seriously I've gotten messages from CS that were nearby "pearls" get it at around turn 200.

My last game I had 2/3rds of the larger continent just as factories were about to come on line - of course there was exactly 3 coal deposits on the entire planet, none in my territory - but...oh goody, one of my current allied CS's has one of the three... uh oh, there's a TP on it already... meanwhile that CS's only worker does about 4 or 5 other improvements before going back to get the coal.

I paid Napoleon some exorbitant rate to get 5 of his coal so I could get the factories building - and he was able to delay it even more because he had 2 dumbass settlers which he had sent half way around the world to settle some scrap of land on my continent (which I settled late just to keep him out of my backyard) who then proceeded to STAND on that one coal tile the CS needed to improve for at least 20 turns - it seems trespassing doesn't mean jack to the AI/CS's because he should have been DOW'd at some point.

The last game I lost (or abandoned rather) was one where I found no iron, so I just expanded some, build some warriors and allied a city-state that had iron. Stupid jerks finally improved the iron around turn 120! Yeah, that's a little late.

I had another one in which all my cities wanted pearls. Oh, pearls you shall have, then. I allied a city-state that had pearls. But they were unimproved. I found another one. Also unimproved and after allying, it seemed a Persian scout was stuck on the tile with the pearls so the AI couldn't even improve them. I guess I could have gone to war with Persia to kill the scout. I finally got pearls from a 3rd city-state. Those two just never improved their pearls in 300 turns!

Before patch .162 I swear I was able to use my own worker and improve it for them, but now you cannot. I am not sure why not allowing your own worker to do it for them, would unbalance the game that much. As an ally does not the city sorta belong to you anyways? Bring back the ability for us to be able to improve our allies resource please. I have also noticed that you cannot even gift them a worker if they do not have one or lost theirs. What is up with that also? In nerfing CS's I think they went too far.

I had one game where i used a Great artist to culture bomb me some coal from a CS. It's usually your best bet, if conquering isn't an option.

So, is there anyway to influence a CS so that they get their nearby resource in a reasonable time frame? Seriously I've gotten messages from CS that were nearby "pearls" get it at around turn 200.

This issue seems to be more random and has become worse since the patches.

You could block off other tiles in the CS's borders with your units. If you only leave a path for the worker to get to the tile you want it to improve and the other tiles in that path are already improved, then it might send its worker over to improve the resource.

This might also work to get the CS to build a fishing boat. After all, if you have all its land tiles blocked, it can't improve anything else.

Top Bottom