getting beaten at wonders- return on investment?

Fabio1701

King
In civ5 if you get beaten in a wonder you get a bunch of cash proportional to what you had invested in hammers. I have not noticed anythign like that in civ6, or if there is, it is so small I didn't notice.

While not very realistic, I do feel a bit cheated that it all goes to wate. can anyone confirm this? we don't get anythign back, perhaps faith or culutre? I've noticed nothing.

If there is no reutrn on investment when you are beaten, shoudl there be? what do you think? I think that perhaps to make it more realistic on coudl say that the tile which had a wonder whcih was beaten, ther shoudl be something left there, maybe an artifat in the future, or left over construction material which coudl be harvested by a builder?

Those are cool ideas, I like harvesting the materials with a builder to speed another construction (perhaps a different wonder) myself. However unless a modder steps in to do it I don't see it happening, Firaxsis loves screwing the player and making wonders work the way they do is a sacred cow of the Civ franchise, all or nothing.

I actually prefer VI to V in this regard. The gold conversion in V was small enough to seem more like an insult than serious compensation (the gold from missing the Great Library by a single turn wasn't even enough to buy a normal library), and there was never really any thematic justification for it. I wouldn't be opposed to some alternate form of compensation, though, provided it was well thought out and executed.

making wonders work the way they do is a sacred cow of the Civ franchise, all or nothing.
Not true, in Civ IV you got compensation if you failed a Wonder. It could be exploited but it's certainly better than the system in Civ 6. I like the idea of Builders harvesting material.

I've gotten to the point where I just hate building them until I get a big tech lead purely because of this. I know Civ Vs was pretty small compensation but at least it gave me something to work with.

Building wonders, unless you have a tech lead can always be a gamble. So it depends on how risk adverse your play style is.
Getting some compensation for losing the race to build a wonder is always better than no compensation. Also most wonders are not worth the risk. Also China

What you are proposing with the workers was actually in the game at some point before release. I can remember seeing videos where unfinished wonders were still using the tile they were started on. You needed a builder charge to free that tile again and got production back (similar like chopping wood). I don't know why this feature was deleted from the game again. To me, it seemed the best way to get a compensation when being beaten to a wonder. I found the gold compensation / production overflow of earlier civs always to be a really stupid thing. If wonders were a bit better, I could also live with 'no compensation at all' quite well. As I understand it, it should always be a risk to build one, but they really should be worth it.

Maybe a getting a great art that use no slot and give 1 culture and 1 tourism. With the picture of the wonder haha

What you are proposing with the workers was actually in the game at some point before release. I can remember seeing videos where unfinished wonders were still using the tile they were started on. You needed a builder charge to free that tile again and got production back (similar like chopping wood). I don't know why this feature was deleted from the game again. To me, it seemed the best way to get a compensation when being beaten to a wonder. I found the gold compensation / production overflow of earlier civs always to be a really stupid thing. If wonders were a bit better, I could also live with 'no compensation at all' quite well. As I understand it, it should always be a risk to build one, but they really should be worth it.
My guess is because the game was rushed out to meet a pre-set launch date

The biggest problem for me is not necessarily losing the race to a wonder but not knowing that I'm in a race in the first place, or if I did happen to see the notification flash by that another civ was building something - just how far along they are compared to me.

Knowing your progress compared to others makes sense to me - the game does this for Great People after all. Perhaps we will need to have an embassy established or spy to know exactly which civ, but this should avoid the frustration of being beaten by one or two turns.

All too often, I have one turn to go before a wonder is complete, staring apprehensively at the next turn button, pressing next turn, waiting a few minutes for the ai to do its thing, only for them to build the same wonder. I would rather forego this potential rage quit moment and build something else if it becomes obvious that I don't have a hope of competing. Or perhaps I can invade their territory and destroy their wonder before they complete it....

The biggest problem for me is not necessarily losing the race to a wonder but not knowing that I'm in a race in the first place, or if I did happen to see the notification flash by that another civ was building something - just how far along they are compared to me.

Knowing your progress compared to others makes sense to me - the game does this for Great People after all. Perhaps we will need to have an embassy established or spy to know exactly which civ, but this should avoid the frustration of being beaten by one or two turns.

All too often, I have one turn to go before a wonder is complete, staring apprehensively at the next turn button, pressing next turn, waiting a few minutes for the ai to do its thing, only for them to build the same wonder. I would rather forego this potential rage quit moment and build something else if it becomes obvious that I don't have a hope of competing. Or perhaps I can invade their territory and destroy their wonder before they complete it....

It's in the game though not from the start.

If you have enough diplomatic visibility with a civ, you get a notification as soon as they start building a wonder. That's one of the reasons why it can be beneficial to watch those closely.

Also since a wonder building site is visibly present on the map, you can watch another civ's progress on the building project and roughly guess the time it will take them to finish.

Granted, all this won't help you very much in the ancient and classical erae but later on you can be pretty save.

I like the game at least attempting to be a simulation of real life, and there is no way all the resources would suddenly disappear and be wasted if the project was halted. In fact, in reality, the civ would complete its own wonder anyway; so if you want for game purposes to keep wonders unique, then there should be some mechanism to repurpose the effort and materials expended into something else.

Top Bottom