Getting error message when trying to install patch 3.13?

Matjillam1

Chieftain
Okay, so here's the deal.

I download the patch, no problems. When I wanted to install it, it said there was an error and it couldn't install :(

I tried to download it again to see what would happen. This one was zipped, and when I tried to unzip it it said that it couldn't unzip cause "The fil is corrupt".

Can anyone help me? Cant figure out why I can't install the patch :confused:

what does the error say? also what patch did you download that was zipped, it cannot have been an official one. If you tried an unofficial patch: that won't work until after the official one worked :)

Welcome to Civfanatics :dance:

Well, forgot the exact error message on the official one. Was something like: "error -5001;8010" or something in that direction.

Will try do download it again and install it so I can give it the exact error message.

Will try do download it again and install it so I can give it the exact error message.
Do that :) I am willing to help, but there are quite a few possible errors and without an indication as to what it is there is no way to start. Also: if it asks you to send an error report to microsoft, please click on show report and post the upper part of the report.

Do that :) I am willing to help, but there are quite a few possible errors and without an indication as to what it is there is no way to start. Also: if it asks you to send an error report to microsoft, please click on show report and post the upper part of the report.

Okay, will do that :) will post it in a couple of days when I get home. Thx for your willingnes to help me.

Okay, I've DL'ed to official version on firaxis' website. I still get an error message saying:

"An error (-5006 : 0x8000ffff) has occured while running the setup.

Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor: Firaxis Games (http://www.2kgames.com/civ4 "

That's the entire message.

I can choose between "ok" which just makes the setup freeze. If I choose "report" I report it to "Installshield Wizard" (which I have done, no feedback). Under "details" it says:

"Error Code: -5006 : 0x8000ffff
Error Information:
>SetupNew\SetupDLL.cpp (841)
PAPP:Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword
PVENDOR:Firaxis Games (http://www.2kgames.com/civ4)
PGUID:32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989
$12.0.0.49985PAK"

Really hope u can help me! :)

try this:

open
program files
then
common files
in there there is a folder called Installshield - rename or delete it (I would probably cut and paste it to a different locaation or rename it to Installshield_old). Then reinstall the patch.

If that does not work uninstall the game and repeat the above then reinstall and patch directly...

Just FYI the error you cite is an error caused by InstallShield (which is a standard installer program that most install routines for windows use) - I am not sure what causes this error, but I have seen reports that deleting the InstallShield folder can help since almost all programs will go on and install a version of it themselves...

try this:

open
program files
then
common files
in there there is a folder called Installshield - rename or delete it (I would probably cut and paste it to a different locaation or rename it to Installshield_old). Then reinstall the patch.

If that does not work uninstall the game and repeat the above then reinstall and patch directly...

Just FYI the error you cite is an error caused by InstallShield (which is a standard installer program that most install routines for windows use) - I am not sure what causes this error, but I have seen reports that deleting the InstallShield folder can help since almost all programs will go on and install a version of it themselves...

I tried moving AND renaming the Installshield folder... didnt work :(

Then I tried to uninstall the whole thing BUT suddenly it wouldn't let me uninstall Civ4 (BtS was uninstalled). I thought: "hell, then I'll delete it my self" and starting deleting all civ4 folders... I've deleted ALL civ4 folders now, but the game is still "in" my computer (when running CD, it doesnt say install/uninstall, just says "play", which I can't cause the game is not installed) :S

Really confused now! :cry:

Now I have a game installed that isn't installed, I can't play it and I can't uninstall it...! I'm about to cry for real soon.

And now I cant play BtS either, cause Civ4 "isn't" installed (but it still is)

I'm about to go mental.

the problem with deleting programs by hand is that they still show up in the registry. I'll have to go and look up what the registry keys are for Civilization and BtS so that you can manually remove them. What you need to do in any case is
open
program files\installshield installation information
this directory contains the following directories:
{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8} (for Civ4)
{3E4B349F-10B5-4586-9D99-489A90A8B228} (for Warlords)
{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989} (for BtS)
those need to go (RENAME them for now, once all works again you can delete them).
Try reinstalling - if that does not work tell me, I'll try to find the registry entries...
Edit: the directory is hidden by default so you will need to enable "show hidden files" if you don't see it in c:\program files\

the problem with deleting programs by hand is that they still show up in the registry. I'll have to go and look up what the registry keys are for Civilization and BtS so that you can manually remove them. What you need to do in any case is
open
program files\installshield installation information
this directory contains the following directories:
{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8} (for Civ4)
{3E4B349F-10B5-4586-9D99-489A90A8B228} (for Warlords)
{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989} (for BtS)
those need to go (RENAME them for now, once all works again you can delete them).
Try reinstalling - if that does not work tell me, I'll try to find the registry entries...
Edit: the directory is hidden by default so you will need to enable "show hidden files" if you don't see it in c:\program files\

Bah, no folder named Installshield installation in program files. Was in "folder settings" and I marked "show hidden folders" and nothing showed. (only an "Activision" folder with some old Activision game). :confused:

I moved the installshield folder, but nothing showed there either. :cry:

Would it be possible to get your messenger so I could write u live and send images? :)

Bah, no folder named Installshield installation in program files. Was in "folder settings" and I marked "show hidden folders" and nothing showed.
Bah that comes from me having a German Windoofs version and an English Civ install - that screws all the file names and I try to translate...
Edit: then again - I seem to have been right - this is indeed the path.
did you tell windows to use the show hidden folders for all folders? if so do a search for folders called Installshield and post where it finds some (it should find at least 3 or so...)... Or even better search for the folder names I posted above :)
Would it be possible to get your messenger so I could write u live and send images? :)
Nope ;) I doubt my employer approves of my Tech Supporting some other company's faults during work time - but I sure know he does not approve of doing so using chat ware ;)

Bah that comes from me having a German Windoofs version and an English Civ install - that screws all the file names and I try to translate...
Edit: then again - I seem to have been right - this is indeed the path.
did you tell windows to use the show hidden folders for all folders? if so do a search for folders called Installshield and post where it finds some (it should find at least 3 or so...)... Or even better search for the folder names I posted above :)

Nope ;) I doubt my employer approves of my Tech Supporting some other company's faults during work time - but I sure know he does not approve of doing so using chat ware ;)

Okay, used the setting "show hidden folders" for all folders now. Searched for all 3 folders, nothing found. Searched for installshield, only "old_installshield" showed up, which was the one I renamed and moved to another folder.

My god, what am I doing wrong... Computers confuse me a lot these days! :(

:hmm: do the following:
click on "run" in the start directory, then type regedit
when the registry opens DO NOT at the moment change anything, just do a search for

{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}

(or one of the other entries I posted). You will need to click on continue search or use F3 a couple of times but the second or third item will show you a list with a few file paths including one called
LogFile
where does this path point to?

:hmm: do the following:
click on "run" in the start directory, then type regedit
when the registry opens DO NOT at the moment change anything, just do a search for

{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}

(or one of the other entries I posted). You will need to click on continue search or use F3 a couple of times but the second or third item will show you a list with a few file paths including one called
LogFile
where does this path point to?

omg, an error message saying "regedit is not a valid Win32-program" pops up now... :cry:

Okay, I found out now. I've foun the one with the LogFile and found out where "Installshield Installation informartion" folder is.

I've renamed the folders I was told (put a "1" in the end of the name, good enough?)

But nothing's really changed. Civ4 is still "in" my computer, and it still wont let me uninstall it or play it or anything.

Thinking about throwing my computer out the window, hopefully I'll hit a guy involved in creating Installshield Wizard! :mad:

a few issues:
regedit is an age old windows utility (i.e. it belongs to the core windows programs since basically the beginning) - but and I hate to ask now - you are running XP or Vista? if its Vista that may well be different now... If you run XP and it does not allow you to edit the registry then you are not logged in as administrator...
The Installshield Rename is fine (the good thing about renaming stuff is you can easily repair it if things go wrong). If it still thinks that the game is installed you would need to manually delete the registry entries from the registry - using regedit... So which are you using XP or Vista?
Edit: it is a tad different in Vista apparently you have to search for regedit instead of just running it -:crazyeye:

I am sorry I won't be able to respond much until tonight...
Does the following work to start the registry:
click run and type:
regedit.exe
or
c:\windows\regedit.exe
IF so
set a system restore point (in the system utilities part of your programs) and then delete the following keys in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{3E4B349F-10B5-4586-9D99-489A90A8B228} (IF you have Warlords and it does not work either)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}
you get to those keys within the regedit by clicking first on
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then on SOFTWARE then on Microsoft and so on until you are in the Uninstall path, then you have to look carefully for those keys and delete them (and only them ;)).

Matjillam1, I'm in the same boat you are.... My BF desided he needed to play multi so he downloaded the patch like it said, it didnt work, so his bright idea was to restore MY computer to yesterday and that didnt work either, so now i have no clue what he did to my computer plus i cant uninstall or play the game.... HELP :eek: ANYONE

Top Bottom