1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting first dibs on ideoology

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Myth and Legend, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Myth and Legend

Myth and Legend Chieftain

So what are the most optimal ways to make it to ideologies? 3 factories, GS popping, Oxford etc.? Please share your thoughts, and please make them relevant to Deity play (or MP)

2. Sarin

Sarin Chieftain

Generally, I research the techs around Industrial in this order (not listing prerequisites): Scientific Theory, Archaeology, Military Science, Dynamite (optional), Radio. This gets me ideology before Industrialization, usually popping Oxford to get Radio. Properly timed, you could also use Oxford for Electricity and Rationalism finisher for Radio.

3. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Chieftain

What I recently did is get freedom ideology and the penicillin technology with Oxford university. After that, I teched to athomic theory and then to rocketry which has the Hubblespace telescope. Deity bhas been a challenge for me so far so I haven't finished off with this game yet but I have been able to pull that off at immortal. Once I teched to atomic theory, I had 6 academies with 12 science each and I was still behind in technology. Iideology did hit me with unhappiness at first but then it bought luxuries as imports, obtained stadiums and built national wonders for happiness in ideology.

4. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

Most of the time I use Oxford for Radio to punch into Modern era and pick my ideology on the next turn. Rarely someone picks before me and America never EVER goes Freedom

5. BARBEERIAN

BARBEERIAN Chieftain

This is what I do every game on deity that isnt aimed at DomV. It almost never fails to get me first dibs. And it always makes me laugh that Washingtom NEVER goes freedom despite that being kinda his whole a schtick IRL.

6. beetle

beetle Chieftain

I almost always Oxford Radio and get 1/2 free tenants, but my play is weak and I am hardly ever first. It has been okay, but I sure would prefer to be able to tune my game better!

7. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

It depends on a number of factors, one being if you have 2 GS lying around. If you do then bulb Scientific Theory, Electricity and Oxford Radio will be faster than building 3 factories.

Another factor is if you have already improved coal as you don't want to wait the 7 turns to build a mine. Assuming 3 cities have excellent production, or you have gold to spare. It's risky to bulb Industrialization or even research it outright as it's a big gamble. Of course you don't know whether you will have coal or not when you have finished Architecture & Economics but it is a decision the you must make blind.

Another since you are on Deity and want to be first to your ideology is what is the state of tech when you finish Architecture & Economics? Are any civs in the industrial era, or did you quickly take the tech lead?

8. BlackWizard

BlackWizard Chieftain

You can buy all AI¨s goal to slow their ideology :)

9. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Chieftain

I don't know but I've noticed that freedom usually has a lot of unhappiness and civil resistance. Latest times that I have used freedom I had- 20 unhappiness and still managed to be happy.. autocracy and the others haven't had that much unhappiness to me or I didn't use them that often to be able to tell. Warmongering with autocracy doesn't suffer that much from unhappiness usually, but I sometimes don't always get that to work.