Getting luxury trades

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by darski, May 18, 2008.

1. darski

darski Regent in Training

I find that it is almost impossible to get luxuries in trades. My opponents expect to get luxuries for next to nothing but they demand tons of gold, high level techs and even a luxury as well for me to get one luxury.
    I do tend to have larger empires and I know that they think I get more out of having a lux but they just seem to demand way too much and they cancel the deals as soon as possible.

I refuse to pay an arm and a leg for luxes but I am wondering what I can do to get better deals? I am starting to think "Give me this or else" is the best answer. :mischief:

2. MAS

MAS Deity

How many happy faces would the lux you are trying to trade for generate for you?

The Value the AI assigns to a lux resource depends on how many happy faces it would generate to the receiving end.
    So if the AI has 30 cities and you have 15, you can trade 1 lux and get 2 in return. Because your lux is worth 30 happiness effect to the AI but the AI lux is worth 15 happiness effect to you.
    But if you already have 6 lux, and all 15 of your cities have a market place, and the AI doesn't, you will have to trade 2 lux to get 1 in return. Because your 7th lux will generate 4 happiness per market place, it is worth a total of 60 happiness effect to you.

I once played a 5CC on a huge map, And I was able to trade one of my luxes for 3 in return plus a tech and GPT!

3. Diviner

Diviner Prince

just another side of the weakly programmed AI. i mean what the heck, they didn't even try to make his behaviour a little more complex and now we have the trade functions severely limited because of this simplifying factor that seemed good when planning the game.

trade doesn't really an option to get luxuries most of the times so instead of this take them by military :) of course it doesn't apply for the highest difficulty levels, where the humans are like a big crying baby compared to the AIs for a very long term and trading is OK.

4. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Probably your best bet to get reasonable terms from the AI is get ahead of them in tech level and culture. I manage to get some stuff when I have a big edge, otherwise the AI just demands stuff. As I am normally on archipelago or continent maps, hard for them to attack me though. I am a firm believer in a good navy. I will admit to stacking some of my maps though to make sure I have a basic set of luxuries and resources. If I do not, for some reason, the AI always gets the saltpeter. Not sure how many people like to stack the deck though.

5. MAS

MAS Deity

I'm not sure if this is such a bad thing: if you don't build a huge empire, like in a 5CC, you'll be able to profit a lot from trade.

6. PaperBeetle

PaperBeetle Emperor

^ And when you have only a small empire like that, you can often turn a profit by trading resources, both luxury and strategic. For example, if your small empire has horses and ivory, you can sell all your horses and ivory to some larger empire for 40gpt, and buy them back in from some other empire for only 10gpt.