1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of buildings

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Drool, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Drool

Drool Chieftain

I have just read an interesting thought in another thread. Say if I build a nuclear power plant and then I build the 3GD in another city giving me power to all my cities, then to stop myself from having a chance of a nuclear meltdown is there anyway to get rid of the nuclear power plant. And on this topic is there anyway to get rid of a building once its been built?

2. Willem de III

Willem de III Warlord

and what about abandoning cities, is that possible in civ 4?

3. Artanis

Artanis King

There is no way to get rid of a building, and the only way to "abandon" a city is to give it away to an AI or let Barbarians conquer it.

I don't know if 3GD stops meltdowns.

4. scienide09

scienide09 Regular lurker

There is no 'natural' way to get rid of buildings and cities.

However, if you've got nothing against adding mods to the game, then Snaitf's Demolition Mod will allow you to do both.

I've used the building destruction component myself -- you even get some hammers and gold when you destroy a building (though only a fraction of what you put in, of course).

5. Ranos

Ranos King

Since building the 3GD removes the unhealthiness penalty from coal plants that already exist, I would guess that it also takes away the chance of a meltdown.

You can't get rid of buildings an normal way and there is no way to abandon a city.

6. einherjar_LC

einherjar_LC Chieftain

Those are 2 things that would be nice additions in an expansion or update IMO.

Especially the abandon city option.

7. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

I seriously doubt that Firaxis will change this. Why? Because they actually chose to make it work this way. They didn't like the abandon city option, because it led to a cheesy play style. Either put your city in the correct place or raze it when you conquer it.

8. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

I hate culture flips alot of times now due to lack of city abandonment but - eh. Its the inability to pillage your roads that I dont like. I havent checked to see if that was fixed by 1.52, I hope so.

I think a "sell" feature on buildings should be brought back. Have it be "scrap" and add to current production or something though instead of cash. It hasn't been alot or even valid enough for me to remember the situation, but I remember a couple of times wishing it was still around.

9. Steve2000

Steve2000 Mighty Pirate

The only reason you could sell buildings in previous Civ games was that buildings costed maintenence. Since they no longer do in CIV 4, there is no disadvantage to having the building there once you have built it.

It is still a big decision to build a building though - don't invest the hammers unless you really want to. Maybe you could have used those hammers on a handful of miltary units, but that is the type of strategic decision that would be undermined by the ability to sell the building for cash or production. If you know that you could always sell a building and turn it into a quick rifleman, then there is no worry. CIV 4 is about making lots of tough decisions and that decision to build the nuclear power plant instead of something else is an important decision.

10. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

My reason for wanting it back is more for the whole "perfectionist" thing. People ask me why I want to pillage my roads, but I dont like having roads on every tile and dont see a need to. I actually map out my roads and stuff like that. I dont know why but it would bug me to have a nuclear plant in my city and I have 3GD even if there was no threat.

I would even be satisfied to be able to just "delete" a building. No payback, although that is alot of resources that could be used to make something else. Recycling already manufactured goods helped the US support their involvment in WW2.

Now I dont wanna get into the realism thing, but all I am saying is give like 10% of the total hammer value of the building to production. That isnt enough to make a full unit but it is something. And if you dismantle a nuclear plant your gonna be able to profit in some way from it. To me at least this sounds reasonable and able to be balanced.

I read what Warpus was talking about with having no more city disbandind because of cheesy playstyle but I feel the programmers were cut short on how to counteract measures like this. I mean this thread topic here is something that was in 1-2-3 and then in 4 its just chopped out. And as mentioned it was something that effected game style. If you just chop something like that out and dont try to make counteractive approaches it makes a crappy part of the game.

Like for instance, Rome plops a city on 1 tile of ice just outside my culture borders and only ice and water is all he has to grow from, it is inevitable that my culture is going to swallow that city, and I am gonna be shafted with a bum city that has NO real value. The only measure I can take w/o using worldbuilder and cheating is to go to war with rome, who MAY be a good friend. SO, I would screw my game up to get rid of the economical threat that the dumb AI city causes. (This city will almost always be population of 1 or 2. Not hard to evacutate a city of that size in reality.)

They didnt think it out, they just cut it out.

11. DSChapin

DSChapin Warlord

Ideally, there would be an "abandon city" option that worked slowly, causing your city to gradually shrink and then disappear. That would remove most possible exploits, and could reflect the fact that sometimes societies decide they don't want to support a particular colony any more.

12. Ranos

Ranos King

IIRC, when a city flips, you have the option to destroy it. As far as buildings go, since the effect of the building no longer works, it is as if the building itself isn't there. While being able to destroy the building without any monetary or prodcution benefit would be an option, it is just one more unecessary item that would have to be programmed into the game.

Having roads on every tiles has multiple benefits. If you are at war, you can move your troops to any tile without using a full movement point. If an improvement is destroyed by bombing or pillaging, it doesn't take as long to fix it.

13. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

I personally have never gotten this option.

I understand the benefits but I think the new roads are an eyesore when on every tile, and rails are worse. I find that if I map them out I get practically the same benefit and enjoy the atmosphere of my game. However, since I cant pillage my roads I have to head into enemy lands and start tearing up dust. I just wish they would implement it. I can pilage my farms but not my roads. :mad: