Getting rid of the roll-eyes smiley

Could we just delete the :rolleyes: smiley for good from this site? It's used entirely for being bitter and nasty to other forum users and contributes nothing but an increasingly bitter and snide atmosphere here. Nobody but snide, bitter posters would miss it.

:huh:

Sticks and stones may break your bones, but smileys should never be able to hurt you.

Would you prefer ?

:yup: This is a very nice smiley. :thumbsup: Especially for posts with this smiley :whipped: and texts like "could you please hurry up with the next version of scenario X,Y or Z or your mod xxx".

Add more, but don't delete any. This is the internet; silly, stupid, trollish and obnoxious are part of it.

Sticks and stones may break your bones, but smileys should never be able to hurt you.
That depends on whether they're digital or tangible. DeviantArt used to sell 3-D smileys with various expressions, and I've also got a plush one that's about the size of an extra-large canteloupe.

Between those and my cat art, stuffed rabbits, penguins, and Fuzzy Knights characters, everywhere I go in my apartment I've got eyes watching me... :hide:

DeviantArt used to sell 3-D smileys with various expressions, and I've also got a plush one that's about the size of an extra-large canteloupe.
Drat, I was hoping to see the LA smilie :p.

I find the mere notion that a smiley should be removed because of how it gets used to be somewhere between ridiculous and offensive. Next someone will be suggesting the word "rollseyes" in a post getting your post censored and continued use a banning. Use the brain God gave you and deal with the "bitter or nasty" itself instead of the innocent smiley who just wanted to hangout with his other smiley friends.

I've got smileys sitting around a campfire, having a "kumbaya" moment, too. :mischief:

I find the mere notion that a smiley should be removed because of how it gets used to be somewhere between ridiculous and offensive. Next someone will be suggesting the word "rollseyes" in a post getting your post censored and continued use a banning. Use the brain God gave you and deal with the "bitter or nasty" itself instead of the innocent smiley who just wanted to hangout with his other smiley friends.
I'm sure a couple years back there was a conversation—Valka was in it—where someone complained that :think: came across as trolling.
Spoiler :
:rolleyes:

I don't understand.

One of dA's most popular:

I don't actually care for most of the smileys used to post on that site. I'm talking about rubber balls with smiley faces on them. They were sold in 2 sets of 4, both just as balls to play with (or look at) and smaller ones on keychains. I have all the sets, and the keychain ones actually make rather cute Christmas ornaments when they're on a tree.

I use that one to convey a level of annoyance that is between :huh: and :mad: on the negative reaction scale.

I think the problem with this emoticon is that it doesn't merely connote annoyance. To many people, at least, it also indicates a rather patronising impatience with the other person that is not the same as mere annoyance. Rolling one's eyes in real life means more than mere annoyance. It is a way of putting the other person down, of suggesting that they're being stupid or childish.

And I agree that it almost always gets used - at least in my experience - in a way that is guaranteed to get the goat of whoever it's being directed towards. It's provocative in a way that the other smileys mentioned here are not.

If it's being used in reference to things other than other posters, e.g. the game AI, then that's obviously different. But it's certainly not used exclusively that way. I've always wished we could get rid of it, but if people find it useful in non-trolling ways, we should keep it.

I agree that it can be patronizing. But there are times when it means the choice between using an image to express profound annoyance or exasperation, and saying something infractible.

There is also the all too often overlooked option of doing neither.
Yeah, why not? I'll just not post, because heaven forbid I say anything that doesn't support or enable obvious nonsense that contradicts sound scientific theories or established historical fact.

There have been MANY times when I've taken the option of not saying anything. But there are some topics where I'm not inclined to do that. It's when the first, second, third, and so on attempts to explain things just hits the brick wall, when this kind of frustration sets in.

I can't recall seeing the rolleyes smiley used to be rude to another poster, I've only seen it used when describing silly situations in games. I don't think its removal is necessary.

Top Bottom