Getting rid of the roll-eyes smiley

That post was much more abrasive in its words than its rolleyes use. The rolleyes use is softer.

As some have pointed out, this smiley isn't necessarily used to express disapproval or annoyance with a fellow forum member. I've used it plenty of times to express those sentiments toward non-forum members, institutions, rules, and other things. But chances are good that if I use it in response to someone else on this site, it's because repeated attempts to reason with that person have failed, or perhaps they've said something so outrageous that no other response suffices.

It's better than allowing unlimited profanity. Consider the situation of a now-defunct forum called Television Without Pity (TWoP). That forum did not allow avatars, sigs, smileys, or font variations, and it didn't even have the quote buttons enabled. The only people who could quote on that forum were the ones who knew BBCode. Nothing remotely off-topic was permitted. You could talk about Sonny Corinthos having bipolar disorder, but you weren't allowed so much as a sentence about bipolar disorder itself. You couldn't even ask someone for clarification on a post (ie. "I don't understand why you don't like that cast member; what did he do?") - that was seen as criticizing a forum member, and getting infracted for that was the last straw for me - I told them off, never went back, and rejoiced when I heard the site had folded. Some of them started a new forum with equally ridiculous rules, but took it a step farther - comments are pruned after 3 days. Nothing said there is permanent, so what is really the point?

But hey - at least on TWoP, people were allowed to swear. Some posts were nothing but variations of the "f-word" we're not allowed to use here. What a stimulating, informative discussion! :rolleyes: (see, that's me expressing contempt for that style of forum administration, which is thankfully not allowed here)

Next to all that, one smiley is peanuts. If you think someone is trolling you with the rolleyes smiley, use the "report post" button.

I don't think that in this example the unlimited swear filter was the problem. Or, at the very least, not their biggest problem.

I don't think that in this example the unlimited swear filter was the problem. Or, at the very least, not their biggest problem.
No, they had other problems, for sure. But I just find it downright bizarre that they'd infract the stuff they did, but if a person's post consisted of nothing but variations of <effity-eff> repeated half a dozen times, that was okay.

I'd rather see a rolleyes smiley than that.

That forum did not allow avatars, sigs, smileys, or font variations, and it didn't even have the quote buttons enabled. The only people who could quote on that forum were the ones who knew BBCode.

This sounds awesome. Imagine having to use words to get your meaning across!

Plotinus, a typical post on that board was "OMG, Elizabeth lightened her hair color by 2 shades! She's deadtome! smh"

And that's one of the more intelligent comments (in the forum for the American soap opera General Hospital).

A typical expression of approval on that forum was "Wordy McWord to the Word."

Isn't :thumbsup: or :goodjob: a more intelligent expression of approval? I think so. Trying to decipher some of the posts there was like learning a new language invented by people who are mentally about 10 years old and don't read.

I didn't indulge in that kind of nonsense, btw. Blame it on absorbing the CivFanatics forum culture many years ago, part of which is that people should make some kind of effort to communicate using normal sentences and not lacing their posts with variants of the "f-word."

I got to agree with tolni here. This is the equivalent of fundamentalists couping a nation and imposing strict moral guidelines, and you going, "I don't particularly care for the uniforms of the moral police. Too silly hats"

Being able to swear or not has no bearing on what being said is intelligent or not. Just like its easy to be crass for crass's sake, there are some very intelligent works that wouldn't work without vulgarity.

I don't want to hijack the thread into an argument whether or not we need to loosen the swear filter (I do think so, and would debate it on an appropiate thread), but that train of thought really bothered me.

The rolleyes smiley should stay, that's all I really want to say on the matter.

Moderator Action: Please, this is a discussion forum, not a gif forum. If you have something to add, that's fine. gif's need to cease or be infracted.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I love you. Gifs should be banned, in fact if I could only ban either gifs or the rolls eyes smiley I'd go with Gifs.

Moderator Action: This is PDMA. If you wish to give feedback to moderators, please do so via PM.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Displaying images of the Prophet can get you killed.

Perhaps. Although I must say:

Not to be one of those 'eurabia' people but in all seriousness are we going to be too afraid to display images of Muhammad on civfanatics just because Muslims might find it offensive? America (I believe civfanatics is based in America) has first amendment rights. You have the right to display an image of Muhammad just as much as an image of Jesus and whoever else whether Muslims, Christians, Jews, Atheists/whatever like it or not. Terrorists killed the French cartoonist and we are essentially letting them win if we say "we surrender, we will not depict Muhammad because we are too afraid of you."

Note that I am of middle eastern heritage myself. I have been racially profiled, and I'll say if I were Muslim the discrimination would have been even worse. Muslims face all kinds of discrimination in the west and I actually have the most respect for their culture and religion. Islam is a beautiful religion though I don't follow it myself. None the less, I don't appreciate not drawing pictures of Muhammad just because we are afraid it would offend Muslims.

Now I don't actually hate Muslims and would do nothing to piss of Muslims just to do it, but I feel like we treat Muslims the wrong way on both fronts:

We discriminate against them in employment, at the airport, in every day life, but what we're afraid to do is draw an image of their prophet. Wrong on both fronts, treat them the same as everyone else. Don't give them negative discrimination in every day life, but their prophet is fair game just as any other prophet (or people like Richard Dawkins :lol: ).

Could we just delete the :rolleyes: smiley for good from this site? It's used entirely for being bitter and nasty to other forum users and contributes nothing but an increasingly bitter and snide atmosphere here. Nobody but snide, bitter posters would miss it.

Agreed. Most people that either use gifs or use the :rolleyes: I've found to be very obnoxious and cold-hearted. They are the cruelest posters on the forum

Most people that either use gifs or use the :rolleyes: I've found to be very obnoxious and cold-hearted. They are the cruelest posters on the forum

I love you too. :rolleyes:

That would be the less communicative back-up plan in the event that emotes like :rolleyes: and :popcorn: get suspended.

On a slightly related note, emotes like :sarcasm: and :stupid: are available, and I hardly see those employed in the off-topic section despite the OTF's general fondness for a warm fire.

Says the professional author. Whom one might assume is better at putting his points in writing than the average forum user.

It's less common of a skill to get points across in text only for other people.

That would be the less communicative back-up plan in the event that emotes like :rolleyes: and :popcorn: get suspended.

On a slightly related note, emotes like :sarcasm: and :stupid: are available, and I hardly see those employed in the off-topic section despite the OTF's general fondness for a warm fire.
There is nothing wrong with :popcorn:.

I suspect that :stupid: doesn't get used much in OT because even to the worst of the regulars there, it should be obvious that its use could be interpreted as trolling.

Whereas some of us Mystics like using symbols for communication, albeit in a more sophisticated system than smilies.

Sarcastic emotes in general need to be purged from the internet and all forms of discourse.
Sarcasm itself has a use but it is used far too often by people who don't stop to think about the crap pouring out of their mouths.
Unfortunately, people on the internet feel that they are immune to criticism, and cowardice is the rule. Too many people aid and abet this, too few react to such people with the vitriol they deserve.

Top Bottom