Getting started with FfH 2

strollen

Warlord
Ok I have searched the FAQs and my desktop....

I download FfH 2 version .030 from the Gameflood Manager. It downloaded properly and it said it installed properly. However when I try to play it,
I get a "scrip exec error: t72.lua:68 bad arugement #1 to 'ipairs' (table expected, got nil): -1"

I start BTS and look for FfH under the custom content don't find it.

I then try to find out the download location for the mod and I can't find it either.

My BTS is installed in the default location but on my F drive not C drive.

What is the filename of the mod? And/or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

One thing to note is that the installer defaults to C:\Program Files\... for the install path. Did you change this to your F: drive when you installed the Mod, mediapack, and patch?

I had that problem to, to fix it you just have to download the mod via browser.

Thanks once I figured out how to download without the silly download manager, the install went fine.

I understand that the wiki is down which is a real bummer but is there a good beginners guide to this mode. I am having a real hard time understanding some key concepts.

For instance in my 2nd sample game I took the Amurites so I could experiment with spell casting. It beelined from Mysticism to Elder something so I could build Adepts. I see Adepts on my build list but can't build them. How come?

Like wise I am confused at how one builds and uses spellcasters.
Does Mana points store up is there an advantage for having more than 1 mana of each type.
How do you get adventurers or heroes are they related.
When you upgrade units do use lose XP like vanilla civ or do your keep all XP.

Thanks for the newbie help.

Thanks once I figured out how to download without the silly download manager, the install went fine.

I understand that the wiki is down which is a real bummer but is there a good beginners guide to this mode. I am having a real hard time understanding some key concepts.

For instance in my 2nd sample game I took the Amurites so I could experiment with spell casting. It beelined from Mysticism to Elder something so I could build Adepts. I see Adepts on my build list but can't build them. How come?

Like wise I am confused at how one builds and uses spellcasters.
Does Mana points store up is there an advantage for having more than 1 mana of each type.
How do you get adventurers or heroes are they related.
When you upgrade units do use lose XP like vanilla civ or do your keep all XP.

Thanks for the newbie help.
Spells and Mana
  • Adepts require that you have a Mage Guild built in your city already.
  • Adepts and other spellcasting units can gain sphere promotions, which give them access to spells.
  • In order to take a spell sphere promotion you need to have at least one source of that sphere's corresponding mana
  • Adepts and other arcane units can improve mana nodes to a specific type, based on which technologies you know, eg. you need to have the knowledge of Elementalism in order to build fire nodes.
Other Things
  • Adventurers are special great people that the Grigori can get, and start with the hero promotion, so they are heroes.
  • You keep your XP when you upgrade

You build heroes like normal units but only one can be built ever, so if it dies you can never get it back.

Not mentioned yet about mana nodes is that having 2 of them gives all adepts the level 1 spell for free, having 3 of them gives all adepts the level 1 and 2 spell free (level 2 will not be able to be used until they promote to mage or conjurer at level 4 + appropriate tech).

Check the quick-guide in my sig and other links on the first line, I try to update anytime I see nice information amased in one spot.

Not mentioned yet about mana nodes is that having 2 of them gives all adepts the level 1 spell for free, having 3 of them gives all adepts the level 1 and 2 spell free (level 2 will not be able to be used until they promote to mage or conjurer at level 4 + appropriate tech).

Check the quick-guide in my sig and other links on the first line, I try to update anytime I see nice information amased in one spot.

Xeinwolf thanks for the info. I read your quick quide start and it was pretty helpful. The spell summary was even more useful.

I am a pretty hard core Civ IV player and generally play a couple GOTM either here or Aployton/month and have dabbled with most BTS scenarios/mods.

Based on the content and the polish of FfH 2, I think this Mod can give Rhye's a run for the money as the best Mod ever for Civilization. Unfortunately, I am starting to agree with the folks at Quarter2Three this mod is pretty new user hostile.

I am going to take the advice of one the people on the thread and just treat this like an RPG where exploring the capabilities is part of the fun.

Still for a guy who generally plays a game by skimming the manual, playing a sample game, and then reading the manual more thoroughly this is pretty frustrating.

A few example from a newbie I hope will be helpful to all of you folks who've done such fine work making this mode.

Building Adepts. The Civipedia say they have no reqs nor does the Mage Guild say in enables Adepts a simple Civpedia I would hope. I guess it is quickly obvious that Mages gain experience like hero over time. However, is there anything you can do to accelerate the experience I don't have a clue. For instance the first time, I notice my adept gaining experience I was building a node, so I assumed that building gained experience. It is also not obvious if Mages are entirely a support role, Haste, heal, first strike etc. or can they actually kill things. If so what is the benefit for giving combat promotions to mages?

Building Units, in Civ you generally need to get a tech and often a resource to build a unit in FfH2, you often need to build a building first. I searched everywhere for documentation on this key but different concept.

Weapons: Looking at the Civipedia it appeared that only way to equip units with bronze/iron/mithril was to research a tech build weaponsmith in my city. Imagine my surprise when upon discovering a tech all of my units stats where increased as bronze weapons appeared.

Ok well back to playing this very cool mod.

Well, right now we are in public Beta, so nobody is a "Player," we are all the testing team. When mechanics are done with major changes, THEN in game documentation will be made. But it is known that you basically have to use the forums to play as it is now.

Adept = support
Mage = better support or combat, depending on mana choice
Conjurer = combat

The XP gains is a random chance per turn. If your leader trait is Arcane it is faster. Also there is one spell available to few units (Entropy 2 Divine) to speed up XP gain. The wonder Infernal Grimoir has a chance to cast it for any unit, or kill them.

Speaking of Divine, priests have very different approach to magic. They come with pre-determined spell spheres, you cannot get different ones.

Weapons: A good example of why documentation is waiting till the mod is done now. It used to need a Weaponsmith for Mithril, a forge for copper and iron. Now it needs only "___ Working" tech to enable ___ weapons (actually it needs that to make theresource available in cities from mine+road, if you trade for it everyone can upgrade).

Which begs the question: how exactly do you ddownload it without the manager?

Top Bottom