1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Started...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Black Waltz, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Black Waltz

Black Waltz Prince

Meh. After a little break I am finding it hard to get started on a new game. Usually once I start a game and get past the first era I find I can get quite intrested... But creating the first city can be quite a bore. I dislike how every opening is pretty much the same. Worker, settler, trying to find a decent second city placement... Once I have that sorted it tends to get better. But I do not seem to have the motivation... Annoying.

Anyone else have this type of problem getting started in new games?

2. drkodos

drkodos Emperor

No.

Seems simliar to saying you hate the start of sex.

3. Black Waltz

Black Waltz Prince

It just feels tedious. I think it could be something to do with having to research the techs that corospond with the bonuses I have lying around. With Civ III I could start iragating my flood plains or mining my cows straight away. But with this it is a bit more convuluted...

4. scienide09

scienide09 Regular lurker

Why not try starting the game in one of the leter ages? While you'll still have to go through some of the 'tedious' steps, this will add a new dimension to your gameplay.

5. Mahatmajon

Mahatmajon Prince

You should finish the games that I start. I tend to build up an empire, get 3-5 cities going, attack an AI, keep a couple of their cities, then save after the first couple hours of gameplay. I have a hard time enoying picking these games up again.

I can send you tons of saved games from Monarch/Emperor with a mini-empire ready to go.

6. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

I tend to agree, building/improving at the opening is limited. Yet I'm never bored. My interest tends to be piqued by exploring, discovering the locations of other civs and resources and planning where my cities/wars will be. Not to mention looking for goody-huts to pop.

If you're really that bored at the opening, I'd suggest researching Hunting and popping a couple of Scouts to go exploring. Moving them around will give you something interesting and VERY useful to do while you wait for your research and first few units. They may even earn some valuable XPs against barb animals; I love it when I can give a Scout the Woodsman II promotian so it can move through the defense-bonus forest and jungle like it can through other terrain.

Later, the scouts can accompany and protect your settlers and workers, and even serve as the first defensive unit in your new cities.